Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #121
spMatti
Member
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 20
Karma: 11978
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerb View Post
Hey guys, I forked the project to use "wget" and a remote web server as a source to sync from. You can take a look at https://github.com/wernerb/kobo-wget-sync

Tell me what you think, or if anything doesn't work.

I have tested this to work with 2.10.0 firmware on a Kobo Glo, but I don't expect other versions to be a problem.
Nice work! My kobo touch upgraded to 3.0.1 firmware and kobo-grive-sync is now broken I downloaded the wget binary that you used and tested it. Works really good in 3.0.1 firmware. I'm thinking about creating a simple google drive synchronization using bash script and wget. That way there's not much dependencies to other libraries that can be broken. I have to check how much work it requires..
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #122
wernerb
Junior Member
wernerb began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2013
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spMatti View Post
Nice work! My kobo touch upgraded to 3.0.1 firmware and kobo-grive-sync is now broken I downloaded the wget binary that you used and tested it. Works really good in 3.0.1 firmware. I'm thinking about creating a simple google drive synchronization using bash script and wget. That way there's not much dependencies to other libraries that can be broken. I have to check how much work it requires..
Glad you like it! I agree, Google drive support would be cool. I'm looking into it, might not be that hard. If you create a shared folder with a public link and wget that.. The syncing however would be a problem (checking if files exist etc.)
wernerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 AM   #123
kobotux
Member
kobotux began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Device: kobo touch
Sorry to dig up this thread, but does this Google drive sync can be achieved under 3.0.1 FW ? Instructions are not very clear for me and I'm lost around the authorisation code to put in the grive folder (cacert.perm ??). Anyway if someone have a fix/script to get this working I am really interested. Thanks.

Last edited by kobotux; 01-01-2014 at 04:02 AM.
kobotux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #124
wernerb
Junior Member
wernerb began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2013
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobotux View Post
Sorry to dig up this thread, but does this Google drive sync can be achieved under 3.0.1 FW ? Instructions are not very clear for me and I'm lost around the authorisation code to put in the grive folder (cacert.perm ??). Anyway if someone have a fix/script to get this working I am really interested. Thanks.

Unfortunately, like the author said (1 post above you), it does not work with firmware 3.0.1.

I have made a wget-alternative that works with a local web server which you can find above..

I have also made it possible to sync with google drive normally, but only one-way and only supporting public (hidden) google drive "Share" links.
Is this something that people are interested in having?
wernerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #125
kobotux
Member
kobotux began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Device: kobo touch
Being able to download/update book on kobo from Google drive would be nice. For example, using a script to check NEW books on Google drive and download the missing ones would be great. Is this something that I can achieve through your wget process ?
kobotux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #126
spMatti
Member
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 20
Karma: 11978
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobotux View Post
Being able to download/update book on kobo from Google drive would be nice. For example, using a script to check NEW books on Google drive and download the missing ones would be great. Is this something that I can achieve through your wget process ?
Yes, I tested it today. You can download files from Google Drive with wget if you create a public folder for the files that you want to update to kobo. All public folders have a hosting URL that anyone can access. You can find out hosting URL by opening details pane for the directory. Test the link by opening it with browser. You should see simple file list.

Now all files from the folder can be downloaded to kobo. This command will download all files that are new or have changed:
Code:
wget -m -nd --no-parent --no-check-certificate https://www.googledrive.com/host/FOLDER_ID/
It downloads some extra files like robots.txt and index.html, but you can exclude them with some wget options.
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #127
spMatti
Member
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 20
Karma: 11978
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Finland
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernerb View Post
Glad you like it! I agree, Google drive support would be cool. I'm looking into it, might not be that hard. If you create a shared folder with a public link and wget that.. The syncing however would be a problem (checking if files exist etc.)
Hi

Here's my solution to download files from Google Drive. I forked your code and modified it a little: https://github.com/spMatti/kobo-wget-sync. Now user just enters the executed wget command directly. It can download only from public folders. I tested a folder with "Anyone with the link" sharing, but the folder index page uses javascript to create the file links so it doesn't work out of the box.

I'm thinking about creating Google App script web application that will serve index.html for the wget command. The App script then uses Google Drive changes feed to serve only new files from a selected folder..
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #128
wernerb
Junior Member
wernerb began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2013
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spMatti View Post
Hi

Here's my solution to download files from Google Drive. I forked your code and modified it a little: https://github.com/spMatti/kobo-wget-sync. Now user just enters the executed wget command directly. It can download only from public folders. I tested a folder with "Anyone with the link" sharing, but the folder index page uses javascript to create the file links so it doesn't work out of the box.

I'm thinking about creating Google App script web application that will serve index.html for the wget command. The App script then uses Google Drive changes feed to serve only new files from a selected folder..
Hey! I haven't had much time, but I have a working script that parses the json and works out of the box.
I will adapt the kobo-wget-sync to include this script so you can choose wget or gdrive and rename the repository.

Also this sync-script only adds new files and deletes files if they are removed from google drive. But again, manually adding books through USB will not make them upload to your google drive account.

Standby for the update.

Thanks spMatti for your dev-work! Also, once I updated the repo I really appreciate if you would help keep it stable
wernerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #129
tofi
Junior Member
tofi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Kobo Aura HD
I would like to see 4 things in next firmware:
- dropbox synch
- pdf reflow
- native rss reader
- Polish language.
tofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #130
rvdgeer
Junior Member
rvdgeer began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: kobo glo
Question

I've been using spMatti's solution for a couple of weeks now and really like it.
However, I have some trouble to get/keep the virtual sd card mounted.

Whenever I connect my kobo glo to my laptop, I can see the files are there.
But after disconnecting the sd card isn't being mounted and syncing and reconnecting to a wifi network unfortunately don't help.

Any clues on how I can trigger the glo to remount the virtual sd card?

EDIT: After looking into this a bit further I must say I'm not sure if it's a problem with the mounting of the virtual SD card or with refreshing the library.
After a sync (9 new files downloaded) the log file states the library is being refreshed, but it doesn't show the black screen it usually does after adding new books.

(I'm on firmware 3.2.0 on the Kobo Glo)

Last edited by rvdgeer; 03-12-2014 at 07:08 AM.
rvdgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #131
sepa
Junior Member
sepa began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 12
Join Date: Aug 2013
Device: aurahd
Looks like https://github.com/spMatti/kobo-wget-sync idea spreading the world.
I've found that http://sendtokobo.com service use agent based on wget too.
sepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #132
rvdgeer
Junior Member
rvdgeer began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepa View Post
Looks like https://github.com/spMatti/kobo-wget-sync idea spreading the world.
I've found that http://sendtokobo.com service use agent based on wget too.
Great find!
Unfortunately my Glo doesn't update the library after a sync with the sendtokobo mail either...
Maybe I should try a factory reset and start over...
rvdgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #133
tofi
Junior Member
tofi began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Kobo Aura HD
You need to change download path in config file. I have same problem with my Aura HD.
tofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #134
rvdgeer
Junior Member
rvdgeer began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofi View Post
You need to change download path in config file. I have same problem with my Aura HD.
Can you please share what you've changed?
rvdgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #135
Ninja_Gerbil
Junior Member
Ninja_Gerbil began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2014
Device: Kobo Touch
Greetings!
New to this forum and recently discovered that it *may* be possible to read files from Google Drive on my Kobo Touch (currently on version 2.3.1).

I, at the risk of sounding like a luddite, have followed the link, downloaded the package (I am on a Mac), but the step #3 in the original instructions "Copy downloaded package to eReader file .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz" befuddles me.

I am using a Macbook Pro, and I not a software, or code programmer of any kind. So, could someone maybe walk me through the steps to "Copy a downloaded package" to an "eReader file .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz"?

Does this mean I need to access my terminal? or can i do this through Finder? When I search for Kobo in Finder, I simply see the "Setup" file, I cannot drag and drop the downloaded folder into this file, and I do not know how to get the files into the system at all.

If there is a "for dummies" version, I would like to give this a shot.

Thanks for your time, and any help you may be able to provide!

NG
Ninja_Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem setting up shared library on Google Drive CyberPotato Library Management 5 02-04-2013 05:01 PM
Google Drive Incompatable with Calibre! Yack Related Tools 10 02-02-2013 05:37 AM
Problem Sync with Ez PDF and Google Drive cptnemo Android Devices 0 09-27-2012 09:33 PM
Reading epub in Google Drive alexul Reading and Management 1 09-21-2012 03:39 AM
PRS-T1 Google Drive JB. Sony Reader Dev Corner 1 04-25-2012 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.