Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #316
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Does the Calibre plugin work with PW2? Thanks.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #317
svhs
svhs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite gen2
It does, for me.
svhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #318
apechman
apechman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Missing X-Ray on toolbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerhar View Post
Furthermore, I have no X-Ray button in the toolbar. In the rare instances where looking up a word works, I can click on "Open X-Ray" to see all the terms on the current page/chapter/book. However, since it doesn't work most of the time and there's no X-Ray button at the top, I have no way of getting to this screen. If only there was a button I could click to open this screen on any page, it would not be such a big deal that the word lookup doesn't work as expected, since I could easily see all the terms on the current page.

Have I missed something obvious? Is there a way to make partial terms work, or display the X-Ray button in the toolbar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I'm having the same problem here where everything works with the X-Ray, but it only appears when I click over a Character then I can open the X-Ray window, exactly as described by jmerhar.
Is there a way to enable the X-Ray button on top of Kindle PW? (I only see the Aa, Go To, Share (greyed out), Bookmark).

PS: many thanks and awesome plugin made! congrats for such piece of work
apechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #319
travtufts
travtufts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello and thank you for working on this great kindle hack! I've been reading some books lately that are very technically challenging at times, and having x-ray is a huge help. A number of my books aren't officially X-Ray enabled through Amazon, so I checked this thread out.

I've tried both the calibre plugin, as well as the http://www.xunwang.me/xray/ method, and am having some trouble with a personal document AZW file (sent as .mobi, but converted by the PD service to AZW).

When running the calibre plugin, I enter the appropriate information and get "IOERROR: Errno 32 Broken Pipe. The details are as follows:

calibre, version 1.21.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 32] Broken pipe

calibre 1.21 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-12.5.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '12.5.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
OSX: ('10.8.5', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 69, in generate_selected
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 112, in _generate_selected
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 359, in generate_xray
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.lib.kindleunpa ck", line 1490, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.lib.kindleunpa ck", line 1108, in process_all_mobi_headers
File "lib/python2.7/codecs.py", line 352, in write
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

When I use the http://www.xunwang.me/xray/ method and simply drop the file that results from it into the .sdr folder for that book, the X-Ray icon is available in that book, but when I tap it I get the "X-Ray is not enabled for this book [WG]" error.

Do either of these make any sense to anyone?

Thank you for your help!
travtufts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #320
svhs

I'm far from the expert in this topics, but shouldn't you convert the azw file back to mobi first(with calibre for example), and try the x-ray generator then?(..with the mobi file of course)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #321
travtufts
travtufts began at the beginning.

Unfortunately the same error arises no matter what file type it is AZW/Mobi. Thanks for the idea, though!
travtufts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #322
Zieggy
Zieggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by travtufts View Post
When running the calibre plugin, I enter the appropriate information and get "IOERROR: Errno 32 Broken Pipe. The details are as follows:
I've been experimenting with the Calibre plugin a lot today and am getting this error message repeatedly. I can't really say what is causing it - at first I thought it might be size, because I was trying it on large books (Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, etc) where having X-Ray made more sense, and it failed on me. And it did work on a few smaller books I tried. But some books larger than those that failed also worked, so I think that's not it. Might it have something to do with the unpacked size, or the amount of hits it gets when trying to build the locations?
Zieggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #323
lol.systema
lol.systema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yup. Got the same error. Gonna try again... I'd sure learn coding just to get this puppy to work
lol.systema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #324
svhs

Hey guys!
Try this
Code:
https://code.google.com/p/xray-builder/
Old 03-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #325
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by svhs View Post
Hey guys!
Try this
Code:
https://code.google.com/p/xray-builder/
As he mentions, my stand-alone application version of the builder is always an option if the Calibre plugin is acting up.
It's far less convenient; I would look into fixing whatever the issue might be but I don't know enough about how it works.

The application takes some getting used to and is a bit more hands-on. If anyone runs into issues with it, don't hesitate to message me about it. However, please make sure to thoroughly read the help files that come with it. I'm open to questions, suggestions, and issues with the program, but nothing is worse than questions that are clearly answered in the documentation.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ephemerality; 03-23-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #326
libgiggirl
libgiggirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage (WiFi + 3G))
Hello,

First post here and I've been trying to generate an x-ray file for the Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacson but it's failing each time I do it. I've tried the website and the Calibre plugin and nothing seems to work.

The error message I'm getting in Calibre is this:

Quote:
calibre, version 1.33.0 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Failed to generate XRay: Failed: Generating XRay for documents

Generating XRay for documents
Loading Shelfari...
Loading Wikipedia...
Parsing book...

XRAY generation failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 209, in run
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 252, in _generate_xray
File "calibre_plugins.xray_generator.xrayaction", line 598, in rawml
IndexError: list index out of range
The plugin version I am using is 0.1.250.
The directory I am saving the X-Ray file to is either the "documents" on my PW2 or the Calibre library. I'm wondering if this may be the problem, where to save that file. Should it be on the Kindle itself or on my computer.
I have looked at the stand-alone application but have no idea how to install or use it.

Any help would be appreciated!
libgiggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #327
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libgiggirl View Post
Hello,

First post here and I've been trying to generate an x-ray file for the Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacson but it's failing each time I do it. I've tried the website and the Calibre plugin and nothing seems to work.
Not sure what the issue could be since I don't know much about the plugin, but I downloaded a copy of that book and it worked fine so there must be something with your copy that it doesn't like.

The stand-alone app isn't too hard to get setup, the worst part is having to install Python first.

If you want to send me your copy I can take a look and see if I can find the issue, or at the very least I can try it with my tool and send you the result.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #328
libgiggirl
libgiggirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage (WiFi + 3G))
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Not sure what the issue could be since I don't know much about the plugin, but I downloaded a copy of that book and it worked fine so there must be something with your copy that it doesn't like.

The stand-alone app isn't too hard to get setup, the worst part is having to install Python first.

If you want to send me your copy I can take a look and see if I can find the issue, or at the very least I can try it with my tool and send you the result.
I just now realized that either I was wasting a lot of time generating the xray file or the .mobi file I am currently reading on my Kindle has x-ray already built in. I think someone had posted earlier about waiting until x-ray was completely indexed before using it. Regardless, I am able to use it now. Still doesn't explain why calibre kept failing. Maybe I just needed to wait.
libgiggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #329
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by libgiggirl View Post
I just now realized that either I was wasting a lot of time generating the xray file or the .mobi file I am currently reading on my Kindle has x-ray already built in. I think someone had posted earlier about waiting until x-ray was completely indexed before using it. Regardless, I am able to use it now. Still doesn't explain why calibre kept failing. Maybe I just needed to wait.
Hm, interesting. Well if you run into any other issues with using it, let me know.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #330
RogueJay
RogueJay began at the beginning.

Been taking a look at this tool/plugin with interest. Would be awesome to get some X-Ray files working with those books that don't have it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the output to work on the Kindle.

I have a PW2 and I'm putting AZW3s onto the device, along with the asc file generated from a converted MOBI. The GUID seems to match up in the asc file (even checked by opening the AZW3), but I just get the WG error upon opening X-Ray on the device.

Does anyone else have this working with AZW3s? Has the latest firmware changed something perhaps?

Any pointers would be useful.

Thanks
RogueJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray