Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
herba
herba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Publishing Library List to Devices: Possible?

Greetings, new to the Calibre tool and have a question for the forum which I could not find any threads on (so apologies if this is already out there, I simply couldn't find). I have my library of audio books nicely kept in Calibre on my Windows 7 PC. What I would like to be able to do is publish my library to my iPad (or iPod, iPhone or even Kindle Fire). I don't mean publish the actual MP3's (or ebook's), just the full inventory of books that I own. Goal is to be able to identify what I have in my library when I'm not in front of my PC. I did see that I can use the CONNECT / SHARE function to start the web server, but I was thinking of (1) not keeping my computer running all the time as a webserver, and (2) not always having an internet connection available (iPhone yes, but not iPod, iPad or Kindle.

Long post, hope it makes sense. Grateful for any feedback or thoughts.

Herb
herba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Bookeen Diva, Kobo Clara BW
Well you can build a catalog, and push an .epub or .pdf version to your device.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Since you have a Fire
I suggest creating the AZW3 Version

(@aleyx. PDF??? that is not a direct format from the catalog utility menu)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Bookeen Diva, Kobo Clara BW
@theducks: Well, no, not a direct one. But since a catalog is generated as just another book, it can be converted into the whole panel of formats available to Calibre.

Of course, it's only reasonable for a very small library if you want book details. I tried once to generate an epub of my 1600+ library (ended up with a 17MB file), then convert it to PDF (35MB). Never again...
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
@theducks: Well, no, not a direct one. But since a catalog is generated as just another book, it can be converted into the whole panel of formats available to Calibre.

Of course, it's only reasonable for a very small library if you want book details. I tried once to generate an epub of my 1600+ library (ended up with a 17MB file), then convert it to PDF (35MB). Never again...
My catalog (EPUB) started crashing my device (MRSDK) when the OPF got over 1M . I now generate subsets if I need it on that device . I now use Calibre companion for my device catalog (I wish it had an 'download as Empty book' option)
Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
herba
herba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
aleyx and theducks, thanks for such a quick reply. Being new here I wasn't sure what to expect, but clearly an active (and well versed) forum. The option works like a charm, I'll try it out across all my devices. Thank you for the quick response. Have another question, but will do my homework on the forum and see if there is anything out there first. Again, thanks!

Herb
herba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I now use Calibre companion for my device catalog (I wish it had an 'download as Empty book' option)
Unfortunately that would require a lot of changes to calibre, because for most devices there is no concept of downloading a nonexistent file.

What you might do is add an empty txt file to the book, than send that to the device. It would create an entry in CCs database while taking almost no space on the device.

At one point I looked at permitting CC to download metadata for all books in the library without downloading the books themselves. It was very slow. However, with the caching scheme we have added it might be better now. I will revisit the question while preparing for the next cc beta cycle.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Unfortunately that would require a lot of changes to calibre, because for most devices there is no concept of downloading a nonexistent file.

What you might do is add an empty txt file to the book, than send that to the device. It would create an entry in CCs database while taking almost no space on the device.

At one point I looked at permitting CC to download metadata for all books in the library without downloading the books themselves. It was very slow. However, with the caching scheme we have added it might be better now. I will revisit the question while preparing for the next cc beta cycle.

Don't lose any sleep. There are probably far (many) more important features.
Your suggestion will work

Tags
ipad 2, ipod, kindle, wifi