Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
audio-playfunction

Hi!
I am just finishing my first ebook, before started i was totally new in this... - So i had a lot of ´??´to solve and now i am facing one i am kindly asking for help!!

My ebook will include audiofiles.
Currently i am working with the software JUTOH to finish it.
After inserting the audio-mediafile and exporting it to an epub format, my ipad-mini as well as the iphone5 are showing me a PLAY-button and i can perfectly listen to the audio! Nice so far, but:

There is just a PLAY button, no forward, backward button or scroll functionality. I am asking myself, if it is possible to implement this??
Best for me would be a scroll-bar, where the user could finger-tab to the point he wants to jump to within the audio.

Is this a question of software, plugins, hardware??

Thanks for your help in advance!!
ceblac

Last edited by ceblac; 03-03-2014 at 09:00 AM.
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.
 
mzmm's Avatar
 
Posts: 163
Karma: 86115
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
if you find the audio element in the html and add the controls attribute i'd imagine it would give you a scrubber and some volume controls. i don't have juto so can't check, but you should look for something like

Code:
<audio>
    <source src="your_audio_file.mp4" type="audio/mpeg">
</audio>
and change it to

Code:
<audio controls>
    <source src="your_audio_file.mp4" type="audio/mpeg">
</audio>
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
if you find the audio element in the html and add the controls attribute i'd imagine it would give you a scrubber and some volume controls. i don't have juto so can't check, but you should look for something like

Code:
<audio>
    <source src="your_audio_file.mp4" type="audio/mpeg">
</audio>
and change it to

Code:
<audio controls>
    <source src="your_audio_file.mp4" type="audio/mpeg">
</audio>
this sounds to easy to be true --- i will try it and let you know! THANKS
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
and change it to

Code:
<audio controls>
    <source src="your_audio_file.mp4" type="audio/mpeg">
</audio>
hi again!
so i checked the code in SIGIL and it already says:

<audio controls="controls" src="../Audio/Guitar_Crunch.mp3" title="Audio Guitar Crunch"><span>Audio Guitar Crunch</span></audio>

so the CONTROLS-function seems to be implemented already, but is not working like suggested!!

any idea??
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.
 
mzmm's Avatar
 
Posts: 163
Karma: 86115
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
i'm not sure. maybe it has to do with the file format? the Asset Guide Apple states that audio files must have the .m4a extension and be encoded with iTunes.

the Asset Guide also has a troubleshooting section for A/V, probably a good idea to go through the docs.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
maybe it has to do with the file format? the Asset Guide Apple states that audio files must have the .m4a extension and be encoded with iTunes.

the Asset Guide also has a troubleshooting section for A/V, probably a good idea to go through the docs.

sounds reasonable!
i will try it and let you know

thanks and all the best,
ceblac
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post

the Asset Guide also has a troubleshooting section for A/V, probably a good idea to go through the docs.
hi again!

so i tried your first idea: just formatting it with itunes to m4a changes nothing.

but what do you mean with ASSET GUIDE??
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.
 
mzmm's Avatar
 
Posts: 163
Karma: 86115
Join Date: Feb 2012
Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
if you google 'ibooks asset guide' it'll come up with apple's docs for submitting ebooks.

not really sure what else the problem might be, hopefully the docs are able to help you.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
if you google 'ibooks asset guide' it'll come up with apple's docs for submitting ebooks.

not really sure what else the problem might be, hopefully the docs are able to help you.
hi again!
so the ASSET was not really helpful.
it seems to be not a question of the data format, i tried several, all are playing well, but the CONTROLS never appear.
the rest in the ASSET is about how to implement audios with iAuthor, which i do not use and also i do not think this will help much...

BUT i just found out that the control-pannel appears in the OS X-ibook-app!! there i have the full functionality!! - but after synching it with the devices, the controls are disappearing and i got just the play-button again,.....strange....

-- i think more and more its a question about "how" the different systems of OsX and iOs are interpreting the html-commands....
but i am to poorly informed about that....

thanks anyway for your nice try of helping me!!!

ceblac
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Hitch's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,659
Karma: 15346071
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceblac View Post
hi again!
so the ASSET was not really helpful.
it seems to be not a question of the data format, i tried several, all are playing well, but the CONTROLS never appear.
the rest in the ASSET is about how to implement audios with iAuthor, which i do not use and also i do not think this will help much...

BUT i just found out that the control-pannel appears in the OS X-ibook-app!! there i have the full functionality!! - but after synching it with the devices, the controls are disappearing and i got just the play-button again,.....strange....

-- i think more and more its a question about "how" the different systems of OsX and iOs are interpreting the html-commands....
but i am to poorly informed about that....

thanks anyway for your nice try of helping me!!!

ceblac
Wait: I believe you might be viewing the WRONG Asset Guide book. You should not be using the Asset Guides for iAuthor; you should be using the Asset Guide for delivering ePUB files to iBooks. That is fairly clear, and, gives you the coding, a well as some other aspects (for example, are you doing a read-along book, or simply embedding audio, like music or reading of poetry?).

Make sure you have the iBookstore Asset Guide, and not any somewhat different guide for using iAuthor, in case that's what happened here. Your files should be working, assuming that they are all at the same sample rate, etc. And are your files sized correctly, in terms of per-chapter limits, etc.?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
ceblac
Junior Member
ceblac began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 7
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2014
Device: i-pad mini, i5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Wait: I believe you might be viewing the WRONG Asset Guide book.

Hitch
the name of the book was "iBooks Asset Guide 5.1 Revision 2"

but i will have a look again, thankS!!
ceblac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackstone Audio to release audio books as DRM-free MP3s Donnageddon News 4 07-07-2008 01:16 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.