Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook*, nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Why not?
It's overkill. If a password is random and a mix of lower case, upper case, numbers and special characters, then above 16 is truly overkill.

I use a self made password generator for my phone, and using random characters, a 16 character password would require ~10e15 years to crack.

Last edited by afv011; 03-01-2014 at 01:20 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I use a self made password generator for my phone, and using random characters, a 16 character password would require ~10e15 years to crack.
Or 1 second, if you're lucky
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #18
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's overkill. If a password is random and a mix of lower case, upper case, numbers and special characters, then above 16 is truly overkill.
I read fantasy and I build my own computers. Overkill is my second name
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #19
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have to agree its overkill, but whatever floats your boat.

I'm not going to, though, because some sites don't accept them, and if I need to memorize one for something, I don't have to change it. Less hassle (not that there is much anyway) and more than good enough.

Using anything of the sort already makes me so ahead of the curve that no one will pay attention to my passwords anyway, with all the easy ones floating around in the same database.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #20
49Kat
I'm just a bird, see?
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650 (1st reader); Kobo Vox (retired); iPad2;iPad Mini;iPhone5
I don't know if this is related or not, but the e-mail address that I use for this forum has had 3 attempts to hack it since Feb 27/14. The attempts were unsuccessful. I have 2-step verification for that account, but the people who attempted the log-ins didn't get the password right anyway, and it's highly doubtful they would because it's such a random jumble.

I always use a "throw-away" e-mail address to register for message boards or things like blog comments anyway. It's an address I can delete if it starts getting spammed a lot or is otherwise compromised.

Two of the unsuccessful log-in attempts were from South America. The latest one was from a country in the African continent.

Last edited by 49Kat; 03-16-2014 at 03:21 AM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote