Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
jpflora
jpflora began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 2013
Post Add multiple volume books in calibre

Hello

Pardon my ignorance on this.

I am just starting with calibre and started adding books sequentially (folder by folder to avoid duplication). I have couple of encyclopedia's and engg books which span to multiple pdf's (same book), how to add these as single entity in calibre.

By adding them thru folder option calibre creates multiple entries in library , which are not inter related at all..

can someone please guide me how to go about on this.. Thanks

Attaching SS:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenClip.png
Views:	77
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	119387

above is an Britannica encyclopedia spanning 7 volumes, but all have been added as separate books.

Last edited by jpflora; 02-22-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: editing
jpflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ubuntu Linux, Cybook Opus, Motorola Xoom with Mantano Premium
The easiest way is perhaps to treat the books as parts in a series. Calibre has good support for that. Then the series is the name of the encyclopedia, the book titles are the subtitles and the series number gives the order.

And add BISL as a prefix to the titles and EB, Inc as author. Then the books will appear together.

You can right-click a book and manually edit the metadata. Calibre will then change how the book is sorted.

You could also consider having a separate library for large references. Either separate calibre libraries or virtual libraries. You could even have a separate virtual library for each multivolume work. You can add tabbed access to virtual libraries, so by clicking on a tab all the references are listed.

But you might also consider how you use these books. It is not certain that calibre is the best reader software, especially not if you have the books as PDFs. You could for instance create a master PDF that contains links to all your reference books.

Last edited by Adoby; 02-22-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does not allow you to store multiple book files of the same type (file extension) against a given book record. Therefore unless you want all the different books stored inside an archive format (e.g. .7zip, .rar) then you are going to end up with multiple book entries in the Calibre GUI.

What I personally do is one or more of the following (whichever seems most appropriate to the material):
- Set the book title so that the common part is at the front so they at least sort together when sorting by name
- Set the Series field so that the name reflects the grouping (e.g. Encylopedia Britanica). You can give all entries the same series number if you are not concerned about order, or set it to enforce a desired order.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
jpflora
jpflora began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 2013
thanks for this ,,,will try this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
And add BISL as a prefix to the titles and EB, Inc as author. Then the books will appear together.

You can right-click a book and manually edit the metadata. Calibre will then change how the book is sorted.

You could also consider having a separate library for large references. Either separate calibre libraries or virtual libraries. You could even have a separate virtual library for each multivolume work. You can add tabbed access to virtual libraries, so by clicking on a tab all the references are listed.

But you might also consider how you use these books. It is not certain that calibre is the best reader software, especially not if you have the books as PDFs. You could for instance create a master PDF that contains links to all your reference books.
jpflora is offline   Reply With Quote