Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's where Parker is most often shelved, Harry. Yes. The settings for her books are not "our world."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
But not dragon-ish fantasy.

The world depicted in the Engineer Trilogy in particular is just slightly skewed, the world is very recognizable, pre industrial revolution. That's relevant since one of his/her strengths, if you like that sort of thing, is the writer's love of machines, engines, structures. It's sometimes like looking at medieval 'art of war' images.

Ach, its just something to try as a sample and see. S/he provokes strong reactions. I lent a hard copy of devices and desires to a friend and she struggled with the first chapter or so and then found she couldn't put it down. It is heartless tho' - very chilling. I think that's what makes it so exceptional. There are scenes of real violence with absolutely no romance at all - dead flat.

Do give it a go, sample first. And the style overlaps with the Baroque Cycle, by Neal Stephenson, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baroque_Cycle] Cool that you liked that too Dia.That's got a lot of the history of science in it, so there's an overlap there regarding the development of science and tech. If anyone is into audio books, Audible have the Baroque Cycle, read by the mighty Simon Prebble - a truly great match of reader to material. The writer has an eyebrow raised much of the time, which is perfectly reflected in the reader's voice.

Last edited by Pangolin; 01-29-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and Diap, that point you made about not scoffing but savouring, I find that Parker just can't be scoffed, its rich stuff. One of the very few authors I just have to read at a reasonable pace, and one of the few I splice with other writers because i need to step back.
Half way through Belly of the Bow now.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can I just clarify that these are fantasy? It's not entirely clear from the description.
Yes. All of his/her novels are fantasy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wanted to mention that I did take the time finish off The Fencer Trilogy recently.

I found it was cynical, smart, cheeky, and exhibited a willingness (maybe even an eagerness at times) to poke fun at itself.

So in other words; it's like these books were written just for me!
(And yes, I realize I may be stretching the definition of at least one of those qualities )

I did think the first two books of the series were a little stronger, overall, than the final installment, but it was in no way a let-down.

Not an every-day meal, by any means, but as tasty, occasional, rich indulgence? Yes please.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle GDX, Kindle 3, KPW, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wanted to mention that I did take the time finish off The Fencer Trilogy recently.

I found it was cynical, smart, cheeky, and exhibited a willingness (maybe even an eagerness at times) to poke fun at itself.
Wow... The Amazon reviews for books 2 are interesting. Reviewers either hated it or loved it. 9 reviews don't make a consensus, just interesting. I've got book 1 and should give it a try --- once I'm done with book 2 of Mazalan.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
Pangolin
Pangolin

Jgaiser, sorry to bring this thread back up to the top, but just to say I thought Engineer Tril was the best - Fencer was very good too but, for me, the Engineer trilogy was a real knock out.