Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #1456
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
B&N Nook Glowlight

I didn't want to order from the US, since costs for shipment and taxes are way too high for such low priced gadgets.
But I found a vendor in Amazon Germany.
Since I've got about 300 B&N eBooks and already have the Nook Simple Touch (not my favorite reader, but okay), it seemed to be a no-brainer.
Oh my, have I been wrong...

First of all, the box has not been sealed and the reader didn't have the plastic film most have for protection. Seems to me like a return unit. Probably again one of those "I've ordered 5 readers, test them all and keep none" constant-returners....
But okay, that's the merchant, nothing to do with B&N or Nook.

It looks and feels extremely cheap. But then again: It's $ 119 in the US. What kind of quality can you expect for such a low price?
I hate this trend! I'd rather have a reader for, let's say, $ 300 (as was common only 3 years ago) that's worth its price and a joy to hold and use, than a bargain unit, that's not even worth the low price it costs and is a constant nuisance...
But okay, I've decided for it and knew the quality of the Nook Simple Touch (which seems slightly better, but not great either).

But then my showstopper:
2 display flaws.
a.) A permanently black pixel in the lower left border. Annoying, but on its own might be still acceptable.
b.) I don't know how to best describe it: With the light on, about 3cm from the lower left border, the backlight shines through the display. This "gap" is maybe 4mm long.
Okay, this can happen with all manufacturers/brands. I've read a lot such complaints. Many have been frustrated about Paperwhite 1 on some tablets. But I've been lucky so far.

I'll give it back, of course.
And I don't know yet, whether I actually would like to have a replacement unit.
On one hand, I'd like to make use of my 300 B&N books and I really like the backlit readers. On the other hand, it's so flimsy and cheap and then I even had a defective unit...

EDIT:
By confidence I saw, that the merchant I bought from resides only 15 minutes from my home.
So I've visited their store.
We've checked 11 Nook GlowLight. 6 did have similar defects as mine, all did have gaps of ca. 4mm. 2 did have slightly smaller gaps. Only 3 had been without visible flaws. I took one of those, I simply wanted to have a backlit Nook and didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering again.
I have no idea, whether those quality issues are a typical representation. Or a bad batch. Or a clever buying scheme of that specific merchant. Still, quite bothersome...

Edit #2:
I have to give it back anyway.
There's no flaw on this exchange unit hardware-wise.
But I can't use it.
The UK reader exclusively is bound to B&N UK.
I've registered via my US account, but still I only see 36 of my roundabout 300 books.
B&N support confirms.
I don't get it.
The hardware, not even having 3G, obviously is the same globally.
Why can't you just register it to the respective accounts? Total nonsense, the way it is now.
Honestly, I won't shed too many tears, should they disappear from the market. Acting that foolish and short-sighted...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-15-2014 at 10:38 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #1457
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nook GlowLight

I had bought the Nook Simple Touch GlowLight via Amazon Germany.
Unfortunately, it was the UK model without access to the majority (>90%) of my US books.
Someone mentioned the newer and advanced Nook GlowLight, so I've ordered it, directly from the US.
So far, I like it a lot.
Build quality isn't perfect.
I've had even worse quality issues with my Nook HD: Gaps between the frame and the tablet. Same here, but not that obvious. Still: B&N does seem to have quality problems.
Would they use the same color for the frame as for the reader, it would be less obvious. But a grey frame on a white reader makes the gaps clearly visible.
I really don't understand, how such gaps can make them pass the quality process...
Without this aesthetic flaw, design would be great. More stylish than Kobo Aura HD, about equal to Kinde Paperhwhite.
Height of the reader is about the same as Kindle Paperwhite, but it's about 1cm wider.
Unusual format, but strangely appealing.
It seems more "robust" that way.

"Select your Time Zone":
Okay, it's US only.
Still: There are other time zones than the 8 American noses and even US citizens might leave the US from time to time.
Not a biggy, but I hate such inconsiderate nonsense in a global economy...
Later on, in settings, it can be changed to any global setting.

"Choose a Network":
Very good: They show the MAC address directly on this fron page.
I know: MAC filtering easily can be tricked. Still, it's my basic security setting...

Surprising: There's no Micro SD slot. Nook Simple Touch and Simple Touch GlowLight have it. And it's needed, given the reader only has 2GB, like Kindle Paperwhite (not enough as well, to download my entire library).
Strange: The website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181 says 4GB, but my Device Info only says 2GB Content Storage Available and 508MB "Other Strorage Available" (I guess, firmware and such).

I can't say much about the display quality: Nothing to complain about, even with Paperwhite or Aura HD.

In general:
With the exception of the build quality, it's a great reader.
I prefer the design very much to the ugly Kobo Aura HD.
Because of the build quality, it's slightly behind my Paperwhite, but a close 2nd.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #1458
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Strange: The website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181 says 4GB, but my Device Info only says 2GB Content Storage Available and 508MB "Other Strorage Available" (I guess, firmware and such).
The Nook's storage is partitioned. You have 500MB for sideloaded content, and the rest for B&N books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #1459
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Nook's storage is partitioned. You have 500MB for sideloaded content, and the rest for B&N books.
But this still only adds up to 2.5GB, not the 4GB stated in the specs?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #1460
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it's only 2GB: 1.5GB for B&N content, and 0.5GB for sideloaded books. Perhaps someone in the B&N forum could clarify?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #1461
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
2Gb reserved for the OS and other related stuff and 2Gb for books?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #1462
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
2Gb reserved for the OS and other related stuff and 2Gb for books?
Might be.
But if so, the "4GB- Holds up to 2000 books" on http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181 would be a bit misleading. But seems to be the only explanation so far.
Anyway: I'm almost done, downloading the entire library on Nook GlowLight. I couldn't do so on Nook Simple Touch, so there really seems to be more storage on GlowLight than on Simple Touch...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-29-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 AM   #1463
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Well, we do have till the end of February.... But this one does sound good!
It seems, for now this is the one: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/527...ase-date-price
No stylus, which may be a deal breaker for you. But on the other hand: Full HD!
I'm not a fan of Lenovo, but this one is tempting...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-31-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #1464
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It seems, for now this is the one: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/5/527...ase-date-price
No stylus, which may be a deal breaker for you. But on the other hand: Full HD!
I'm not a fan of Lenovo, but this one is tempting...
Yes, I've been drooling over that one too since I found out about it. But, the stylus! On the other hand, I did hear about a stylus with a small point that didn't require bluetooth... (https://adonit.net/jot/flip/)

I just found a German webshop which sells the Asus though, and only the fact that I'd probably get a German version of Windows makes me not buy it...

Why are there now two devices out there that make me want to buy something!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #1465
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I just found a German webshop which sells the Asus though, and only the fact that I'd probably get a German version of Windows makes me not buy it...
Is there such a thing as a "German version of Windows"? To the best of my knowledge, you can change the interface language via the regional settings.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #1466
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a "German version of Windows"? To the best of my knowledge, you can change the interface language via the regional settings.
We have a German version of a W7.5 phone. Some things simply aren't translated to English. And I've installed Dutch versions of Windows and never managed to get everything in English (most yes, but not everything). And I prefer English in my OS.... (and if not English, Dutch will do).
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #1467
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
We have a German version of a W7.5 phone. Some things simply aren't translated to English. And I've installed Dutch versions of Windows and never managed to get everything in English (most yes, but not everything). And I prefer English in my OS.... (and if not English, Dutch will do).
HarryT is absolutely correct.
I'm on the train, but will describe the procedure later in detail.
But, on a Windows 8 PC/tablet, you can switch the language of the entire OS.
I did so on my US Surface Pro.
I want the OS in English, but in addition I need German autocorrect and such.
No problem at all.
I did some minor invest (20 Euro or so): I bought the German language Kit for Office from Microsoft. But even this can be downloaded for free.

Meaning:
Order whatever source you have and then, within minutes, switch the entire OS to Dutch. You even can combine: US OS, but German keyboard layout in my case, since I had bought the US Surface Pro but a German type cover.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-05-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #1468
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Were you able to clarify how much storage your Nook Glowlight has? Is it 2GB or 4GB?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #1469
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

So, we decided yesterday to simply order the tablets (one for me and one for him)... The 64Gb version, in fact. It will take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive though, so I'll have to learn patience!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #1470
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Were you able to clarify how much storage your Nook Glowlight has? Is it 2GB or 4GB?
It seems to habe 4GB, as advertised.
I can't download my entire library on my Nook Simple Touch, which has 2GB.
I can download the entire library on Nook GlowLight and still have 1GB left.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test