Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
AlanRoberts
AlanRoberts began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet + FBReader
Conversion failure, Delphi Complete Works of Jules Verne (Illustrated)

Had a promotion to use up at Amazon, so I picked up some low-cost eBooks. Attempting to convert:

Delphi Complete Works of Jules Verne (Illustrated)
(48.8MB AZW)

to epub is failing. Job log has:

Failed to parse content in <longname>.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
MemoryError

Referenced file u'<longname>.html' not in manifest
Parsing <longnameL.html ...
Failed to read from manifest entry with id: added, ignoring
MemoryError

Spine item 'id1' not found
Python function terminated unexpectedly
Spine is empty (Error Code: 1)
calibre.ebooks.oeb.base.OEBError: Spine is empty

Is this forum the correct place to report more detail, attach files, ask for help? Should I be in some other form or tracking system instead?

Thanks,
Alan Roberts
AlanRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the 64bit version of calibre on a computer with lots of RAM and the conversion should work fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
AlanRoberts

My only platform is Windows XP Pro 32-bit. Am I correct in assuming that the 64-bit version of calibre won't operate on this platform?

Thanks,
Alan
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRoberts View Post
My only platform is Windows XP Pro 32-bit. Am I correct in assuming that the 64-bit version of calibre won't operate on this platform?

Thanks,
Alan
Yes. You need both 64-bit capable hardware and a 64-bit Operating system running on that hardware to run 64-bit Calibre.

It appears that the conversion of that particular book needs more RAM than the 32b-it version of Calibre can handle which is why it is failing. Maybe you have a friend with a suitable machine that can do the conversion for you?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Section8
Connoisseur
Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Section8 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Nook Color (daughter), Sony PRST1
You may be able to use the kindleunpack plugin to just repackage this to an epub - if it's the newer amazon kf8 format.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
AnotherCat
Addict
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I saw this problem experienced by another elsewhere some time ago with the big Delphi Classics, so I ran a test, just out of interest using the Dickens collection (a little bigger than the Verne one) epub (not azw) as the source on a 64 bit, but only 4GB RAM machine.

I cannot remember if I tried an epub to epub conversion or an epub to mobi or azw now, but whatever it failed after a long run and I did not persevere.

My suggestion would be to go to the Kobo discount code sticky thread http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115233 in the Deals, Freebies and Resources forum and get a discount code for the Kobo store; you will then be able to buy an epub of Delphi's Verne for next to nothing (which is what I have done for a few I wanted).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 01-24-2014 at 03:55 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
AlanRoberts

Thanks everyone. I've got the 64-bit version crunching away on a borrowed Win7 machine ... Sitting at 67% done, grinding through the "Splitting on page-break at id=" part of the work, with a working set that seems to have leveled out at 3.1GB. I'll let that either complete or fail before I throw more money at the collection.