Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
chongjasmine
chongjasmine began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook HD or Kindle fire HD

Which should I buy? Which has better features, and is the better tablet?
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
laine1939my
laine1939my began at the beginning.

Smile Kindle Fire HD is the thing

Personal I use Kindle Fire HD and I never regret buying it . You can also check out some reviews on youtube.
laine1939my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
Which should I buy? Which has better features, and is the better tablet?
What do you want to use it for?
AnemicOak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I have a Nook HD+ plus and had a Kindle Fire (that I gave to my mom). I'd go with the Nook for one simple reason: Google Play. B&N allows Play access where Amazon does not. That means far fewer apps for the Fire than the Nook. Hell, one of the first apps I installed on my HD+ was the Kindle app, never used my Fire after that. Also, the Nook has a micro-SD card slot which means that, if you're so inclined, you can fairly easily turn it into a "stock" Android tablet.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
I agree with Mike. We have 3 Nook HD's and 2 Kindle Fires in the house. My girls and I like the Nooks better. 1 of the Fire's I rooted with n2a operating system, so it's not a Fire anymore. I can't stand the UI of the Fire. My son doesn't care, he has the stock Fire. Our Nooks are so much more versatile. I did root to allow apps from other sources, and put the Amazon App store on all of them. We also run alternate launchers on them. The girls do like the BN stock launcher, but I never use it on mine. We love changing our wall papers! Something you'll never do with a Fire!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
I have an unrooted Nook HD and a rooted Nook HD+ and I love both of them.

I use my Nook HD to listen to music via the TuneIn app, read Kindle ebooks via the Kindle app, read the rest of my ebooks via Moon+ Reader Pro, watch live news broadcasts from around the world via a number of live TV apps, watch TV shows via Hulu Plus, control my Roku and Squeezebox players remotely, play all sorts of games, transfer ebooks from my PC to my Nook via Calibre Companion, listen to audiobooks via the Audible.com app, check the weather radar, do photo editing on it, etc., etc., etc. I am able to use Bluetooth earphones or plug-in earphones, or I can just use the stereo speakers. It is really my go-to device.

I like the Nooks because they allow the use of a microSD card which expands the usability of the device, especially if you are storing movies on it. I like the fact that the edges are slightly raised so that if the device falls, it doesn't smack directly on the screen.

With the rooted Nook HD+ I have access to both Google Play AND the Amazon app store.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
jscarbo
Groupie
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nook HD+
Another vote for the Nook HD/HD+. My family has purchased four of them since B&N added Play Store access and dropped the price. I buy ebooks from Amazon and read them in the Kindle for Android app on my HD+.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:55 AM   #8
chongjasmine

Hi, thanks for all your responses. I had decided to buy the nook hd.
Just ordered it yesterday.
Looking forward to using it.
Is there a place where I can learn how to use nook hd?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
Congrats! Good decision. It's pretty easy to use. Drop in to the Nook forum here on MR if you have questions!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #10
chongjasmine

My nook hd just arrived.