Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #901
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
Darn, I just bought a used kindle touch, which was supposed to be wifi with no SO, but it appears to be 3G with SO. I put the ss hack on it, and it was successful, but then the banner showed at the bottom. So that hack is probably gone. The thing had never been updated, apparently, and I am updating it now. It does say "checking screensavers" at the bottom.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #902
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
The hack has no idea if the system is SO or not (and vice versa), it'll still run 'correctly', but it just won't do anything useful.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #903
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Aura, HD, Glo, Mini), KPW1, Nexus 7.2, KFHD'12(n2a), Nook HD
Well I am happy to say the SO were there in error, and Amazon removed them, so now I have personal sleep screens!
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #904
akikara
Enthusiast
akikara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do we need Jb?
akikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #905
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by akikara View Post
Do we need Jb?
Yes.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #906
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
NiLuJe

Can you detect whether the SS has been invoked by an idle timeout or sleep (power) button?

What I'd like to have is to have the cover shown when I power off but to have image cycle when idle timeout. This way when someone asks me what I am reading I just power off to show them the cover, but have my SS images when I leave it idle. Kind of a mixed mode?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #907
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Barty: I'm not sure, it might be technically feasible, but the only way I can think of is ugly, and would potentially make it trivial to 'defeat' the SO, so I won't be doing it .
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #908
spadders
spadders began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place with the wrong info, complete noob here.

I've managed to get Python installed, and also the screensaver hack in cover mode. I'm having trouble with the aspect ratio of the covers (white bars to the left and right).

A bit of googling suggested a blank file named "stretch" in the linkss folder would solve this, but I've not had any luck. Doesn't appear to be anything in the FAQ covering this.

Firmware version 5.4.2, advice appreciated.
spadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #909
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@spadders: You have a couple of different possibilities, check the 'Cover Mode Behaviour' submenu in the KUAL extensions to set them up. (OTOH: letterbox [the default] with white or black borders, stretch, and autocrop).

Once that's done, you'll have to clear the cover cache and switch books for the new covers to be converted this way (again, there's a button for that in the 'Screen Saver Tools' submenu).
Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #910
akikara
Enthusiast
akikara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
If we install this and then remove special offers with amazon after installing will it work?
or first we gotta get off special offers?
akikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #911
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@akikara: Doesn't matter, but you might need a restart once the special offers have been lifted. (Or at worse a deregister/register).
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #912
gamersmile
gamersmile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Tks for your post, NiLuJe.
I'm looking forward to see my customized screensaver on my PW2 very soon!
gamersmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #913
Wakinguptooearly
Wakinguptooearly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Edit 1: Just kidding. I had to restart twice before it worked. Thank you NiLuJe

Last edited by Wakinguptooearly; 01-25-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Wakinguptooearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #914
Lanark1982
Lanark1982 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi guys - thanks for the help with making the Kindle the ereading device that it SHOULD be.

I've been reading around this topic for a while but finally decided to get started today - my main reason for jailbreaking being to show the book cover as the screensaver (something I've never understood why it wasn't a feature in the first place).

So .... I went through the initial jail break. That went fine. I got the *Jail Break* message at the bottom of the screen.

I then installed Pythonm ejected the Kindle and updated - but then I got an Update Error 006 message and was told to restart the device. I did this and it seems to be working. Looking in the folder structure, Python seems to have been installed (there's certainly a Python folder - with bin, include, and lib subfolders.

Should I carry on and go on to the next stage or uninstall Python and try again? Is there any way to check whether Python has installed successfully?

Thanks for the help.
Lanark1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #915
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Lanark1982: Nope, something went wrong.

At which point in the update process did it fail? I'd wager ~3/4 of the progress bar?

How much space left do you have on your device?

Which version of the package did you use? The latest release or a snapshot?
If you used one, try the other, and/or if your snapshot wasn't up to date, try the latest.

You don't even need to check if Python works, I have a pretty good idea of what happened. (spoiler: it'll probably work, but you're missing some somewhat important bits).

FWIW, it doesn't actually ask you to reboot the device, it *tells* you that the device will reboot automatically/is rebooting . Actually playing with the power switch at that point isn't recommended (at all). [Unless they implemented a new specific codepath for this specific error, in which case disregard this].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-26-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch