Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
nicciglen
nicciglen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Is there a way to change the editor's background colour and syntax colouring?

Hi all,

I was excited when I found out that Calibre had an edit ebook feature. I had previously used Sigil for editing eBooks, but it's so nice to be able to do it directly in Calibre.

My question: Is is possible to configure the background colour and syntax colouring of the html and CSS editors? Due to a light sensitivity problem with my vision, I get migraines from reading on white backgrounds and use a black background high contrast theme in Windows. Calibre works fantastically with a black background Windows accessibility theme, but the editor needs the ability for the colours to be configured.

Is there a way to configure the colours used by the editor? If not, may I strongly request it as new feature please? - especially for accessibility reasons. This is important for various people with different issues, all requiring the use of a dark background. I know a lot of programmers who prefer their editors to have a dark / black background.

If you look at the attached screen dump - you may be able to get an idea of my problem. The code pane is like a torch light shining in my face.

Any help would be most appreciated - thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Editor.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	117996  

Last edited by nicciglen; 01-15-2014 at 02:24 PM.
nicciglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Yes.
The choices are limited, so try each.

IN THE EDITOR
Preferences: Editor Settings (a button):I am using 'Wobat-Dark'

Black background with very good contrast UNTIL you start on a line : the current line. This color washes things out somewhat.
Some of the others are only for those with perfect vision.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe Kovid plans eventually, once things have progressed a little, to add in an option for custom stylesheets for the editor.

So this IS on the TODO list, and once that can be done, you can have whatever color scheme you can possibly dream of.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I have problems with white backgrounds as well. The wombat-dark works very well for me. There is also solarized-dark but the characters are fairly dark as well so I can't use that one.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote