Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
HELP: Want to use an Onyx M92 ( or larger! ) as small WP

My wife has significant issues using backlit displays for her work, she's a writer, so as you can imagine it's hell not being able to write out her stories.

So, as an electronics engineer and software developer ( linux and microcontrollers), I have started looking around for an eInk option and thus far the Onyx Boox seem to have the best potential for providing what I need.

There'll be only one real purpose of the device, to act as a rudimentary word processor, enough to let her get the text out of the mind and in to a file, which I can then postprocess/edit.

We currently use a full Linux setup here for everything else.

Many thanks for any guidance. I'd be over the moon ( well, she will be ) if a turnkey option exists, but otherwise I'm more than willing to get my hands dirty to make it work for her.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Sorry, MrPLD, I can't answer your questions directly, only give you two small ideas. In general, these eink readers really aren't designed to work as a text processor but that should not discourage you.

First, here is a long thread about ubuntu brought to the Onyx M92, maybe this is one way.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217438

And in the Pocketbook subforum a member has brought vim to the reader.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224559
Maybe you can ask him how useful this turned out in practice.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
the upcoming e-ink successor of the current onyx devices with an open android 4 will do the wp job. these will get Bluetooth to connect a Bluetooth Keyboard and you could install the android app Textmaker e.g. alternatively you could use the e-ink device as a second Monitor for your PC with e.g. the android app iDisplay.

Last edited by Dolansky; 01-01-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Thanks Billi and Dolansky. The successor of the Onyx sounds like it'll be perfect, probably a bit cheaper than the 13.3" SONY as well ( not to mention actually *available* ).
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
There'll be only one real purpose of the device, to act as a rudimentary word processor, enough to let her get the text out of the mind and in to a file, which I can then postprocess/edit.
See if this link is of any interest.....
http://www.neo-direct.com/Dana/default.aspx

I have the Dana which I got for your exact reason. It works great, lasts long and you can transfer the files in ".doc" mode. The other version (Neo) is apparently not going to be continued, but the Dana still had the item for sale. If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.

AJ Starr
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote