Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #121
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And my favorite, WritePad for iPad, released a free new update this week: WritePad iPad 7.1, Build 1360. It just keeps gettin' gooder 'n' gooder. I wrote this post on it.
Currently on sale for 99 cents, if anyone is interested.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #122
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
Currently on sale for 99 cents, if anyone is interested.
Grab it, folks: That's a steal. I paid $9.99 and felt at that price it was quite a bargain. (Note: English is the only language included in the sale. All WritePad apps in languages other than English are still $9.99.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #123
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
PhatPad is also on sale at 0.89€ ($0.99). I don't think I'm interested though, so I won't buy it, but if you're interested it's a rare occurrence, I've had an alert set on the price of that app for a long time and it's the first time I see it go down.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #124
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Grab it, folks: That's a steal. I paid $9.99 and felt at that price it was quite a bargain. (Note: English is the only language included in the sale. All WritePad apps in languages other than English are still $9.99.)
When you start the app for the first time, you can choose your language. After that, if you want to add a new language you have to buy an additional package at 2.69€ (current price).

ETA: however, I would not recommend this app if you intend to write in French!

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 01-01-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #125
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
PhatPad is also on sale at 0.89€ ($0.99). I don't think I'm interested though, so I won't buy it, but if you're interested it's a rare occurrence, I've had an alert set on the price of that app for a long time and it's the first time I see it go down.
What's the difference between PhatPad and WritePad, if you don't mind explaining. Thanks!
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #126
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

From the description and screen grabs on the App Store, I think PhatPad is a complete note taking app: you can add images and text to a note and also sketches. It also has shape recognition so that you can hand draw a circle or a square and it will transform it into a geometric shape. It seems similar in functionalities to Notes Plus (but probably not as rich).

On the other hand, WritePad is mainly an input device. You can of course store and organize your notes inside the app, but they are only text notes. The main function of WritePad is to produce text through handwriting recognition.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #127
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's true. You won't be drawing any circles or squares in WritePad; it's solely for converting handwriting to editable text, but what it does, it does extremely well—at least the English version does. My favorite thing abut WritePad for iPad is that you don't need to use the cumbersome text box that's required by ever other handwriting app I've tried. You can write anywhere on the screen and the text is converted on the fly without having to stop every few words, select the text, and tell it to convert what you've just written before proceeding to the next words or phrase. You simply write as you would with any notepad and it converts the text as you write.

It's not perfect. It make mistakes, but it also suggests optional words and phrases on the screen while you are writing that can be chosen with a touch of the stylus (or in my case, finger—I never bother with styluses). Ignore the suggestions and the app simply chooses what it thinks you mean and continues to convert. It's really a nice app.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-01-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #128
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
It's not perfect. It make mistakes, but it also suggests optional words and phrases on the screen while you are writing that can be chosen with a touch of the stylus (or in my case, finger—I never bother with styluses). Ignore the suggestions and the app simply chooses what it thinks you mean and continues to convert. It's really a nice app.
Do you write one word at a time? I usually write several words, but if one of them is converted incorrectly there is no way to change it, as far as I can tell, except by accepting the text, selecting the incorrect word and rewriting it.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #129
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I simply write as I would normally. Every few words, the app will convert what I've written into text. I'm going to try to see if I can give you a screenshot of the app as it actually works. It's not easy, because way time I pause for a moment to take the shot, the app converts the text.

-- This message was composed with PhatWare WritePad.

Okay, I wasn't able to take a screenshot on my actual handwriting, no matter how fast I was with the buttons, but you get the idea. You can see from the examples below how as soon as I paused for that fraction of a second to try to get an actual shot of my handwriting before conversion, the engine had already read my text and presented several options. Had I not chosen between them, it would have automatically chosen the first option, which would have been the correct interpretation of my handwriting in the second instance, but not in the first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WritePad screenshot 001.png
Views:	263
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	117426   Click image for larger version

Name:	WritePad screenshot 002.png
Views:	253
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	117427  
Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #130
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Thanks for the explanation Tom! Now I see that you can swipe to see more proposals for the words you wrote. However in my case, none of the propositions make sense.

Sorry for bugging you like this. The truth is, I'm trying to understand the appeal of his app. Because to be honest, even if it worked as well in French as it does in English, I still wouldn't see any point. I type faster than I write. With the iOS keyboard and autocorrect, I have to be careful and re-read what I typed, but still I could write a whole paragraph in the time that it takes me to write a half sentence and correct it in WritePad.

So I guess my real question is... why does this whole process appeal to you more than just simply typing your text?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #131
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Can you type faster than you can write one handed? I think it is more intuitive to write a note when you are holding the iPad in the other hand. And you can also dictate.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #132
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Can you type faster than you can write one handed? I think it is more intuitive to write a note when you are holding the iPad in the other hand. And you can also dictate.

Dale
Yes, I agree, if I have to hold my iPad in one hand then I can't type. However, in that case I don't think I could write-check-correct either. Lately at work, we've had meetings where we are all standing around a board. In that case I just write my notes by hand using GoodNotes.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #133
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

MyScript Smart Note is free at the moment, at least on the French store. It used to be 6.99 euros so I suppose it's a temporary promotion. I only had time for a quick look but it does seem rather smart. It has the same handwriting recognition that is used by Notes Plus, and that works pretty good for me in French. Gesture-based editing seems to be well thought out. I'll report in more detail after I give it a more thorough try, but since I don't know how long the promo will last, you might give it a try for yourselves now.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #134
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Just got it. It didn't go FREE, they've just made it freemium. The premium features are now just $2 though, so isn't too bad.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #135
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Just got it. It didn't go FREE, they've just made it freemium. The premium features are now just $2 though, so isn't too bad.
Ah yes, that was the other option, but since it seemed to be working fine as is, I thought maybe not. But it's not a bad solution since you can try before you buy.