Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #31
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini Ret & 3 & 1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
I receive hundreds of emails every day, so robust mail management capabilities are essential for me. Mailbox is a time-saver to an astonishing degree. I agree that for someone who only receives a few messages per day, the default Mail might do.

As to "privacy concerns"... the NSA was for many years even spying on German Chancellor Merkel's mobile phone... so what are the chances for any of us regular folks to escape spying? Once someone uses Gmail, they might as well use Mailbox. It's like being soaked to the bone already... an additional 15 minutes in the rain won't make anyone any wetter than they already are!
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Isn't that the point of the Promotions tab? You would have received the spam email anyway, but the new gmail feature is intended to at least move them to a compartment where you can deal with them at leisure.

I think you can disable tabs that you don't like.

Graham
No, 49Kat is talking about the fact that Google will mix actual ads masquerading as emails into the list under the Promotions tab of Gmail.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/22/45...new-kind-of-ad
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I receive hundreds of emails every day, so robust mail management capabilities are essential for me. Mailbox is a time-saver to an astonishing degree. I agree that for someone who only receives a few messages per day, the default Mail might do.

As to "privacy concerns"... the NSA was for many years even spying on German Chancellor Merkel's mobile phone... so what are the chances for any of us regular folks to escape spying? Once someone uses Gmail, they might as well use Mailbox. It's like being soaked to the bone already... an additional 15 minutes in the rain won't make anyone any wetter than they already are!
Using Mailbox is introducing yet another point of failure into the email chain. Pointless, IMO. Just use something like Evomail, Boxer, or even Sparrow (it still works really well with Gmail even though it is no longer in development) instead. In addition, Mailbox doesn't have true support for multiple SMTP servers (Sparrow does) which makes it useless for me (I'm sure this isn't a requirement for most, though).

What works well for one might not work well for another.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini Ret & 3 & 1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Mailbox is the opposite of pointless -- it's essential for me. Briefly, so as not to get too off-topic, what I find to be the 2 most outstanding Mailbox features: ability to transfer dozens of threads from folder to folder with a single swipe of the finger; and ability to re-order messages inside folders manually. Those are 2 unique and literally essential features for me by now; they have revolutionised mail management for me, for the first time since the 1990s. As far as I'm aware, only Mailbox offers these 2 particular features; no other app or even desktop email software does that.

Before Mailbox was released early this year, I tried Sparrow, but it was worthless for me, even lamer than Apple's default Mail app. Particularly Sparrow's navigation options were horrible. Just awful to deal with large amounts of incoming email.

As to theoretical points of failure, I don't care, because Mailbox doesn't fail -- it works flawlessly for me, and I get hundreds of emails every day. All of my domains are on Google Apps so I don't need additional SMTP servers, and indeed wouldn't wish to use them even if I could: I have found Gmail's SMTP server to be the most reliable of all.

There are many, many things still to improve in Mailbox, such as the very poor editor. But, it's become my primary software for mail management overall, regardless of platform.

Last edited by Faterson; 11-04-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #35
JTravers
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Mailbox is the opposite of pointless -- it's essential for me. Briefly, so as not to get too off-topic, what I find to be the 2 most outstanding Mailbox features: ability to transfer dozens of threads from folder to folder with a single swipe of the finger; and ability to re-order messages inside folders manually. Those are 2 unique and literally essential features for me by now; they have revolutionised mail management for me, for the first time since the 1990s. As far as I'm aware, only Mailbox offers these 2 particular features; no other app or even desktop email software does that.

Before Mailbox was released early this year, I tried Sparrow, but it was worthless for me, even lamer than Apple's default Mail app. Particularly Sparrow's navigation options were horrible. Just awful to deal with large amounts of incoming email.

As to theoretical points of failure, I don't care, because Mailbox doesn't fail -- it works flawlessly for me, and I get hundreds of emails every day. All of my domains are on Google Apps so I don't need additional SMTP servers, and indeed wouldn't wish to use them even if I could: I have found Gmail's SMTP server to be the most reliable of all.

There are many, many things still to improve in Mailbox, such as the very poor editor. But, it's become my primary software for mail management overall, regardless of platform.
As I said, what works well for one might not for another. Mailbox sounds like almost the perfect mail app for you. That's awesome that it does everything you need it to. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my use case completely. Maybe in the future. Still, I often get sensitive email sent to a hosted provider, and Mailbox would never work for that so I would be stuck using multiple mail apps.

Sorry for continuing OT. I'll stop now