Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
kerliza
kerliza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Endnote renumbering

I need to insert a few references into a chapter as endnotes into a final draft. I do not want to re-number each reference and endnote by hand as a result of the new insertion each time I add one. Is there a Sigil code or other approach to use to reorder the numbering of the endnotes in both the text and the endnote such as is found in Word or other word processors?
kerliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerliza View Post
I need to insert a few references into a chapter as endnotes into a final draft. I do not want to re-number each reference and endnote by hand as a result of the new insertion each time I add one. Is there a Sigil code or other approach to use to reorder the numbering of the endnotes in both the text and the endnote such as is found in Word or other word processors?
The 'By Hand' win by default because Sigil has no 'Auto-numbering' of any kind
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This is why Sigil belongs at the end of the process. When you are creating from scratch, it is better to use the power of the word processors to do this sort of thing, as well as index creation, etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Sadly, as everyone mentioned, the only way you can currently do this is "by hand". Feel free to PM me the EPUB, and I can see what I can do with the code on my end.

This is a problem I ran into many months ago, and I made myself a custom program to handle it. (it is hideous code and buggy (I have to pre-clean the code before I feed it in) and I would rather not let people see the horror. )

It reads in an HTML file, and starts counting from 1. Every <sup>###</sup> it hits, it generates a pointer link:

Code:
<a href="#fn1" id="ft1">[1]</a>
Then iterates by 1.

Once my code hits an "<hr />" (Which I use at the end of every HTML file to denote a footnote section). It starts iterating from 1 again, and every <sup>###</sup> it hits, it replaces it with the opposite link:

Code:
<a href="#ft1" id="fn1">[1]</a>
I might potentially have a much better solution brewing a few weekends from now. I should finally have some free time to code a lot of tools to help speed up conversions/catch common mistakes I find in EPUBs. Hopefully I can code a Footnote Tool 2.0, which I can then release to the public after polishing.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
kerliza
kerliza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks all!

I managed to creatively append most of the inserts to the end of the endnotes set so I didn't have to tear it up. I still have a few left and going by hand is prone to err. I look forward to a remedy.
kerliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing endnotes, endnote, inserting new endnote