Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
[Tips & Tricks] Sharing books using AirDrop

In version 2.3 you can use the new "Send to" function to send books using AirDrop. You'll need iOS 7 and an AirDrop compatible device. Books can be sent to any eBook reader capable of opening EPUBs (not just Marvin).

I've written a tutorial here.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
dpeace
dpeace began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Fantastic idea!

I'm having trouble, though, but am sure this is an iOS7 rather than a Marvin issue.

My destination device (in this case an iPhone 5) enables me to accept a book sent from my iPad; however, the list of destination apps does not show Marvin. I suspect that this is because I have 2746482636852 apps that can open epubs.

Does anyone know of any way to adjust the list of destination apps, other than to uninstall them?

Thanks again for my most-used app.

Darren
dpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed that too during testing. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to customise the list and it's not scrollable.

Bad news: the only way I know of to "customise" that list is, as you say, uninstalling them.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
That's another way in which iOS 7 botched what used to work perfectly fine in iOS 6. In iOS 6, if Marvin was your preferred app for opening EPUB files, it would be offered by default as the first app to open a new EPUB file. But in hideous iOS 7, it's always iBooks that gets offered as the default EPUB app, much like in ancient iOS versions like iOS 4. So you need to manually look for Marvin's icon every time, wasting time.

It's reallly an embarrassement for Apple to fail to offer "default app" setups on iOS, not just for EPUB files, but also the default browser, mail app, calendar app, etc. One locked-down hell.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
dpeace
dpeace began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Many thanks.

I'll experiment with deleting other apps until Marvin appears in the list, then reinstalling the deleted apps. Perhaps they will then appear below Marvin in the list.

Darren
dpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
kguil
Addict

@Faterson - What's worse is that in some cases it is *impossible* to receive an EPUB using AirDrop in your favourite app because the list is not scrollable. I think it's quite stupid. After all, the *send* list is.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Faterson - What's worse is that in some cases it is *impossible* to receive an EPUB using AirDrop in your favourite app because the list is not scrollable. I think it's quite stupid. After all, the *send* list is.
Do you know if anyone has filed this bug with Apple? Seems a ridiculous oversight given the strides made over the years in the number of apps available in the "Open in" menu (originally had a 10 app limit, which was increased to 27 apps in iOS 6 and is now even greater in iOS 7).
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
kguil
Addict

@JTravers - Yes, I recall seeing filed in their radar some time ago.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@JTravers - Yes, I recall seeing filed in their radar some time ago.
Now, hopefully, they do something about it.

BTW, I used AirDrop to send a backup of Marvin on my iPad to restore to Marvin on my iPhone. So quick and easy. Worked perfectly.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
Now, hopefully, they do something about it.

BTW, I used AirDrop to send a backup of Marvin on my iPad to restore to Marvin on my iPhone. So quick and easy. Worked perfectly.
That's a great idea!
RONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Maybe this could be of use to someone having AirDrop available, but it certainly may be for those of us still on a pre iPad4 or iPhone5. Some time ago I downloaded Mover+, it's an app that lets you push stuff from one iOS device to another (Bluetooth or WiFi) as long as both have the same app installed. The nice thing is that it also shows as possible target when you send your backup (or a book) to an "Open In" app (and that list is perfectly scrollable on my iphone), allowing for easy transfer to other device a la AirDrop.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #12
Dabiellie
Dabiellie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, there
What is Airdrop?
Airdrop is a new function of iOS 7, which handles swift file transfer between iOS devices. However, it should be noted that not all iOS devices can use this function. At present, Airdrop is provided only on iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini and iPod Touch 5. They need to use iCloud account. In other words, iPhone 4S and its contemporary products do not support AirDrop.
Hope it can help you.
If you have more interests in iPhone Data Recovery, you can read more here.
Dabiellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 AM   #13
protomik
protomik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is really cool. Never tried it before. And this is quite convenient for book transfer. Or you can use third party tool for this, which is quite convenient. Taking music transfer for example, it performs better than iTunes.

Last edited by protomik; 06-01-2016 at 02:54 AM.
protomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:58 AM   #14
Juesrous
Juesrous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabiellie View Post
Hi, there
Airdrop is a new function of iOS 7, which handles swift file transfer between iOS devices. However, it should be noted that not all iOS devices can use this function. At present, Airdrop is provided only on iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini and iPod Touch 5. They need to use iCloud account. In other words, iPhone 4S and its contemporary products do not support AirDrop.
Hope it can help you.
If you have more interests in iPhone Data Recovery you can read more here.
can I recover my deleted messages from iphone without backup?

Last edited by Juesrous; 07-03-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Juesrous is offline   Reply With Quote