Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
scope
scope began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
adding buttons via usb

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to plug a button / keyboard in to the usb of a kindle/kindle paperwhite, to make it change pages, rather than using the buttons on the kindle itself.

Thanks

(if it's not possible with a kindle, is it possible with a kindle fire)

Last edited by scope; 10-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.
scope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's not a USB host port (I think the options to switch it to USB host mode were investigated, but not to a definite end). So you can't plug USB devices like classic USB keyboards or similar. Also the firmware is not ready to accept events from a USB input stack, I think.

That said, I can imagine a hacky way to build something: A microcontroller with USB host support could use USB CDC serial protocol to talk to the Kindle. Software on the Kindle could create proper events on the input stack. Sounds like a bigger project, though.

I guess more or less the same is true for Kindle Fire devices.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
scope

Ah ok Thanks.

I don't have any of that technical expertise, and was hoping it would be a simple thing to do.
During my searching about it, i found a product that acts as buttons, but its a few hundred dollars, which is too much!

it seems i'll have to find another way of doing this

thanks again
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
you could fire clicks at it via wifi.

I seem to recall someone doing something similar with their phone or somesuch.

what hardware do you have available?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
scope

Hi,

in what sense what hardware (kindle wise or something else)?

sorry for taking ages to reply!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
aditya3098
Zombie's worst nightmare
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle touch (hacked to the core) 5.3.2.1
put a raspi, a wifi clip and a few buttons (GPIO) together, a bit of code, and et al.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
scope

ok, so google tells me a raspi is a raspberry pi, which i've heard of.
but, what is a wifi clip? (i'm assuming it adds wifi to something, but googling doesn't seem to find any hardware)
Old 11-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://pingbin.com/2012/12/setup-wifi-raspberry-pi/
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
scope

ah ok!!

Seems i'll have to do some learning about the pi.

Now from the research i've been looking up, people have been using their kindle as a screen for their raspberry pi, with a keyboard, which is slightly different than what i want to do (although what i want to do sounds simpler?)

Ok, i think i can get a pi and wifi it. but, i'm not sure how i would then send clicks to it. I will try and put some research in to it though (I don't know much about programming or the raspberry pi at all)

Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
twobob

no probs.

someone has been working on adding extra buttons to things.

I'm no expert in these matters...

I would just send the clicks via wifi from the pi. So....
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/ras..._and_switches/

the "clicks" I can help with.

Come back when you have buttons...
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
scope

sorry if this is a stupid question, but would a usb keyboard plugged in to a pi count as buttons?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
twobob

sure. as long as you can trigger an "event" of some kind...

you would just be firing an xdotool click anyhow..
Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
zxczxc
Connoisseur
zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.zxczxc can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: PW
would you be interested in something like this?
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2540347
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
twobob

right. that is the exact project I was thinking of! nice work zxczxc
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
scope

Ah wow, that looks perfect!!
I will have a thorough look through, but from the video and what's said in that thread, it looks ideal. I just wanted to post now to say thank you, when i get back from work i'll have a really good look and undoubtedly ask some stupid questions!

thanks again