Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Galaxy (Aldiko)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It was a dark and stormy night is also the opening line in Madeleine L'Engle's 1962 kids' classic A Wrinkle in Time.
Brilliant.
bfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just started John Fowles The French Lieutenant's Woman.

The opening line:

"An easterly is the most disagreeable wind in Lyme Bay ..."

I'm at page 58 and still have not seen a connection to the main story.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
And wasn't it a theme in that excellent film, Throw Momma from the Train, where it was used as a metaphor for all clichéd opening sentences?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
bfisher
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
And wasn't it a theme in that excellent film, Throw Momma from the Train, where it was used as a metaphor for all clichéd opening sentences?
Sweet.

I can just barely remember the movie (a Danny DeVito character recruiting a Billy Crystal character to murder his mother), something to do with a writing class? Thanks, I must look at the movie again.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
bfisher
Guru

I hadn't known that there is a writing contest to compose the worse opening line. The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest - http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/index.html
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I can just barely remember the movie (a Danny DeVito character recruiting a Billy Crystal character to murder his mother), something to do with a writing class? Thanks, I must look at the movie again.
The thing I remember best is that the Billy Chrystal character was stuck on the opening line of his novel, and finally settled for something like "it was a dark and stormy night" or some version of that.

The next day, he's teaching his writing class, and he asks the Danny DeVito character to read his latest story. But he's devestated to hear that DeVito opens with "it was a humid night", to which Crystal utters a line that stuck in my memory: "Class dismissed. I've got a headache in my eye."

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote