Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
DurgaPrasad
DurgaPrasad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy Ubuntu/Linux : Command to schedule a job with Calibre.( No GUI )

Hi,

I'm using calibre from 4 months to download the news to my Kindle-PaperWhite( The Hindu - India). Since i do not have any system running all time, i had to start my laptop early morning.

I came to know that amazon is offering free 1 year subscription for new registration,so thought to install calibre with amazon-aws.

So, this is what i have done :

Platform : Amazon - aws.
Calibre : Installed using http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux.
Scheduling : Crontab ( Not the scheduler built-in to Calibre - This is what my question is about)

Script to deliver daily news :
======================
echo Removing existing Ebook ...
rm -f "/home/ubuntu/calibre/The Hindu.mobi"

echo Downloading and generating ebook for Todays News.
ebook-convert "The Hindu.recipe" "/home/ubuntu/calibre/The Hindu.mobi" > "/home/ubuntu/calibre/log.txt"

echo Sending News to amazon account.
calibre-smtp XXXX@gmail.com YYYY@free.kindle.com "The Hindu" -r smtp.gmail.com -u XXXX@gmail.com -p "PPPP" -e SSL --port 465 -s "The Hindu" -a "/home/ubuntu/calibre/The Hindu.mobi" >> "/home/ubuntu/calibre/log.txt"
==========================

This script is running fine and I'm able to read the daily news.I admit it's not a big problem or something but,

When i download the news using built-in Calibre Scheduler( In windows,My personal laptop), I'll get the title of book as "The Hindu" and date as subscript like :

The Hindu
Tue, Oct 15, 2013.

When i download the news using "Crontab" scheduler ( as i'm doing now with amazon AWS), the title of book comes as,

The Hindu [Tue, 15 Oct 2013]
Tue, Oct 15, 2013.

** The date repeats ( first, Next to the title. second, As a subscript ).
** In my Kindle Paper white, It occupies 3/4 screen and appears like out of alignment.

so, i'm looking if there is a way to achieve that old title.

I think if i use calibre built-in scheduler instead of the "crontab" that i'm explitly using, would give me the result. but i do not know how to schedule news in calibre through a terminal in linux. ( NO GUI with me).

Please help me if anybody has idea on this.

Also, if any body is interested (Indians, as it's indian news paper), i could forward the mobi file I'm downloading to your kindle email. for others, if they don't want to leave their PC's on sleep just for delivering the news i can help setup amazon ec-2 for you.

Thanks in advance.
DurgaPrasad is offline   Reply With Quote