Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #151
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole5012 View Post
- read a book downloaded from any provider be it Amazon, Waterstones, Borders, or WH Smith in much the same way that I can when I by a paper copy, With the latest books available and a reasonable back catalogue.
And I'd like a pony.

Seriously, such a device doesn't exist. Amazon only allows ebook purchases from Kindle owners, Waterstones sells LRF (which is for the Sony Reader) and since when does Borders have an ebook store?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #152
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Carole5012, the only unit so far that can download books without connecting to a computer is the Kindle. (The Kindle also has the most streamlined interface for finding and buying ebooks.)
But, unfortunately, the kindle is not available in Ireland, which is where Carole is. And even if she imported one, the whispernet doesn't work in Europe.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #153
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
But, unfortunately, the kindle is not available in Ireland, which is where Carole is. And even if she imported one, the whispernet doesn't work in Europe.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that Carole should buy a Kindle, only stating that it is the only unit with that feature and level of ease-of-use.

If I were buying an ebook reader for pleasure reading only, or for a friend or relative for that purpose, I'd probably go with the Cybook or one of the similar clones. Of the proprietary DRM formats, I think Mobipocket is in the top tier for content. The eBookwise could be another choice, though. It's not e ink, but the battery life is great, the screen is pretty readable, there are good tools for getting content onto it these days, and you can't beat the price.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #154
Carole5012
Carole5012 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all your suggestions. As an older reader and not a computer person what i really want from ebooks is to be able to 'use' them in the same way as a paper book ie buy them from who i want, lend them to whomever i want and then sell them on if i want. Obviously this is too much to ask for. Whilst i lust after the Sony it just does not give me either the flexibility or, at the moment, content i am looking for so i may just have to stick with the paper variety for now plus i just don't understand all the format types (told you i wasn't technical) which frankly i find daunting. Anyway thanks for taking the trouble to reply and i'll probably revisit the whole issue when the kindle arrives.
Carole5012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!