Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
paweterings
paweterings
paweterings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Question Calibre convert

I always use Calibre to convert ebooks from epub to mobi format. I then upload the mobiformat to My Kindle Library with "Send to Kindle for PC".
About half the time the mobi format is not accepted by Amazon. After a long chat session with Amazon help they insisted that the format Calibre outputs is corrupt, even though but my Kindle and my Android Kindle app do accept it.
I then searched around on the net for another converter and found the online converter "Online convert.com". Their output is immediately accepted by Amazon.
As it is very annoying that a book is not synced between my Kindle and my Smartphone I think this is a serious flaw in the otherwise wonderful Calibre software. There is now way that I could discover to give feedback to Calibre itself I address this forum.
Does anyone know about this problem or even have a solution so I only have to use Calibre? How can I suggest to Calibre to put a "Send to Kindle" feature in the software?
paweterings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad Air 2, Fire HD6
This thread should be moved to one of the calibre forums here.

My guess is that your calibre conversion is to 'azw3' (kf8) or you have the mobi file type option set to 'new' (again kf8). Send to Kindle will not accept files that have only kf8 in them. They need to include the older mobi format as well as (optionally) the new one. So the mobi file type option should be set to 'both' if you are sending it via Send To Kindle or as an email attachment to your Kindle; don't use 'azw3' for this. The service wants the older format available in case you send it to a device or app that does not support kf8. The iOS app for example needs this as it does not support kf8 fully enough. Don't worry about the file size, Amazon will deliver only the format that is supported by the device and not both of them.

convert.com conversion converts only to mobi (legacy) so those are okay.

Calibre does have a workaround for the sync problem. Again, look at the mobi/azw3 output options. Make sure Facebook sharing is disabled. When you do that, calibre inserts a pseudo identifier in the metadata that fools Kindle reading app into syncing the reading position for that item.

But I would just use personal documents service (Send To Kindle). Those will have reading position automatically synced and annotations will get backed up to your Amazon account. Calibre can't back up your annotations.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
paweterings
paweterings
paweterings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I convert my epubs to mobi, because "Send to kindle" doesn't accept azw3 files at all. I set the mobi file type to both and the Facebook sharing was disabled. Only about half of the converted epubs were not accepted by Amazon, the other haf was, even tough using exactly the same settings.
On your advice I have now set the file type to "old", and now everything seems to work fine.
Thanks very much:-)
paweterings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert, mobi, send to kindle