Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
brookman
n00b
brookman has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex DR800SG
reader for manga and books

hello everybody!
this is my fist post here and i have never owned, seen or used any ebook reader.

i have been thinking about buying an ebook reader for some time and i started to read the specifications and information about several models.
the main application for me would be to read manga (jpg or png) and of course ebooks (pdf).

until now the sony 505 seems to be the best choice. i tried to downsize manga pages to 800x600 and decreasing the color depth to 8, in my opinion 4 colors is too low. of course it would be much more comfortable if the resolution was higher too.

i'm kind of confused about the new sony 700, because in some news sources they talk about it only having 4 colors. but i think it's too expensive anyway. plus i don't need a touch screen.

it would be nice if someone could share his/her opinions and experience about reading manga on ebook readers. i still have some doubts and questions:
  • isn't one second a little bit too long for a page to turn? when reading manga on the pc i only look at one page about 2-5 seconds and the page turn is only some milliseconds. for ebooks this isn't a problem i think.
  • is it even necessary to scale down and reduce the color level of the pictures before displaying them? (not that it would be much of a problem with a batch tool)
  • if yes, what tool do you use to get the smoothest and most readable downscale results? i use irfan view atm, but i'm not too happy with the quality. photoshop offers several algorithms like "nearest neighbor", "bilinear" and "bicubic". which one is the best, and does it matter if i scale them down first and then decrease the color depth or the other way round?
  • where can i buy the sony ebook readers the cheapest online (i live in switzerland).
  • or should i even wait with buying for the devices to get better resolution/speed?

thank you very much for your help!

brookman
brookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't use PDF if you can possibly help it. PDF was never designed to be an eBook format, and it's not very good at all for the task. The problem is that most PDFs are formatted for an A4 or US Letter page, and there's just no good way to display them on a device with a screen 1/6th the area of A4.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't use PDF if you can possibly help it. PDF was never designed to be an eBook format, and it's not very good at all for the task. The problem is that most PDFs are formatted for an A4 or US Letter page, and there's just no good way to display them on a device with a screen 1/6th the area of A4.
I would rather say: for manga use PDF. For ebooks, use PDF if you can have a PDF that's the right size for the screen only.

There's already several tools capable of creating a PDF or ePub manga for the PRS-505, and they all handle things such as resizing the page, conversion to 8 colors etc...

Honestly, reading a manga on the 505 is a nice experience and you don't have to wait that much for the next page to be displayed. Scaling down the image is necessary, changing the color depth is not. If you're in switzerland, now that the 505 is available in the UK it might be a better deal than from the US.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You really don't need to turn down the number of colors for the 505. Just going to 256 gray scale and letting the 505 do the dithering works quite well. The dithering routine(s) in the 505 do a very nice job with the 8 native shades.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
brookman
n00b

thanks for your answers and advices!
it would be cool, if somebody could give me a link to an example how a converted manga in a pdf for sony 505 looks like.

i have been looking around and found the device at amazon for about 280$. what do you think? do you know a cheaper offer?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookman View Post
it would be cool, if somebody could give me a link to an example how a converted manga in a pdf for sony 505 looks like.

i have been looking around and found the device at amazon for about 280$. what do you think? do you know a cheaper offer?
Fry's has it cheaper. They have the cheapest price I have seen anywhere.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
brookman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
fry's?
do you mean frys.com? i can only find it there for 299$ and it's sold out too. do they even ship to europe?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
BHPhotovideo.com ships to Europe and their price is USD275. You can also get the lightwedge (light cover) from them at the same time.

I'm also at the point of almost getting the 505 subject to a few more details and availability on the 700.

I really hope that calibre will support the 700 but that's an unknown right now.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
... but they don't sell internationally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Quote:

I regularly read manga on my PRS-505. I'd say that the clarity really depends on your source materials. The best scanlations to convert would be those that are clear and most importantly, have large fonts. Not all manga can be read on the sony reader, but for those that are suitable, the experience is not that much different as compared to reading from paper.

I'd take some pics to show you once I finish work later.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
brookman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewandy View Post
I regularly read manga on my PRS-505. I'd say that the clarity really depends on your source materials. The best scanlations to convert would be those that are clear and most importantly, have large fonts. Not all manga can be read on the sony reader, but for those that are suitable, the experience is not that much different as compared to reading from paper.

I'd take some pics to show you once I finish work later.
that would be nice!
do you think something like that is readable?

Last edited by brookman; 10-06-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Some pictures taken from my PRS-505 ... my room is kind of dim, so the image might be somewhat dark.

Conversion was done using comic2lrf, which is part of calibre. I might try with your images later, but it's pretty late now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008034.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	16826   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008035.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	16827   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008036.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	16828   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008037.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	16829   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102008038.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	16830  

Last edited by joewandy; 10-06-2008 at 01:24 PM.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
that would be nice!
do you think something like that is readable?

I read manga on my iLiad. The screen is a bit larger than on the Sony models, but I find it quite readable. I converted the CBZ files to PDF sized for the iLiad screen with manga2pdf (see the iLiad forum), then use Acrobat 7 to reduce the filesize. This compresses the images somewhat, but I still find the pages readable.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I'm probably the manga-expert around here.

I've been using the PRS500 and now am using PRS505 to read manga, but I convert my manga completely to LRF. Although the reader can read pictures and pdf, both formats are not so good for the reader.
Using pictures, it's hard to navigate.
Using PDF, the size is a problem.

Converting PDFs to LRF, that would negate all problems. If you use a tool like rasterfarian, the contrast will be increased compared to normal pics. And the generated LRF will be a fraction of the PDF file.

It's a bit outdated, but this review will give you a headstart: http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-ma...ve-review.html

Oh, nekokami, I've created manga2pdf for the sony reader actually, so you can find it in the sony reader's forum. (I've chosen PDF as an intermediate format, because IF I ever buy another reader, I can easily reconvert the pdf to the correct fileformat)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
athlonkmf, I thought manga2Ebook was yours, and manga2pdf was IceHand's?

Anyway, manga2pdf (the utility I was talking about) is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12790
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote