Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #31
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
My sister has a couple of Sony covers with light. But I prefer a clip-on light because the Sony cover without light is more compact and not as heavy. Besides, my clip-on light is better than Sony's cover light, I think.

Aura HD is rapidly improving. It now has Cool Reader (but still no dictionary when using Cool Reader). And you can avoid that choking on added books indexing by using folders with names that begin with a dot, such as: .BOOKS - Kobo does not index such hidden folders.
However, no way to add buttons to it and T3 has buttons.

I suggest trying to find a suitable for rooting T2 instead of T3 - they are probably cheap now and still might be possible to find with 1.0.03 firmware.
There is nothing better than T2 with Cool Reader + dictionaries with disabled Sony indexing of books (for speed). Also on T2 it is possible to increase the screen_off_timeout so that most books can be opened on CR without additionally touching the screen or pressing buttons.
Interesting.

Maybe I will look into a better clip on light. Not for the Aura though. I don't want coolreader because I don't like coolreader. I'm actually okay with the standard Sony reading app. Not saying I might rooting T1 one of these days, but the Aura I am probably going to sell as soon as I get back to the real world. It's big and looks like a picture frame and just does not work adequately. I know that doing as you suggest would address my issues to a point, but I would still resent Kobo for not spending a few bucks on making it work. Probably have one lonesome programmer in a cage living off beer, bologna and potato chips.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
My clip-on light is Ozeri Kandle Flex. I also have Ozeri Kandle 2, but I prefer Flex.
Besides, I am using that light very rarely.
If I were using it more frequently and/or if I were a woman with a purse which is larger than a pocket, I might prefer the Sony cover light.

As to Aura - CR Solves the main issue, the same as on T2 - you no longer need to use their way of handling books (with shelves / collections).
No need for shelves, no need for Calibre.
No need to wait while the device is indexing books.
Because Cool Reader has its own integrated file browser and its own list of recent books.
So you can use your own nested folder structure for books - which is so much better.
I know, shelves may include the same book multiple times in various collections, an advantage, but disadvantages are huge. The main disadvantage - shelves are not nested.
Also, no longer those annoying Kobo issues (mainly already fixed by Metazoa, though).

So, Cool Reader allows me to use my ownt folder structure, and it allows to switch on/off the internal indexing of books and internal fonts, so I can see instantly which way is better for a particular book.

Plus, on T1/T2 I have many more and better dictionaries with CR than with the Sony reader. But on Aura, CR has no dictionaries so far.

Aura is useful if you don't want to read in landscape orientation but you still want to have comfortable margins and an appropriate text width between them (as in printed books, assuming you are using a font of a similar size).
With T1/T2 I prefer landscape.

Last edited by parkher; 09-30-2013 at 07:43 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote