Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, KT, PB701/IQ, K2, PB360, BeBook One, Axim51v, TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That he'd like to see a similar ratio of sales in the US?
Not doable.
Too many surfer dudes in Kalifornia.

There's also this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/21...nge-4B11199523

Binge viewing.

Patterson's fallacy is assuming less trad-pub pbook sales = less reading.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-19-2013 at 06:51 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #47
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I'm not sure what Mr. Patterson is really after, but if he's serious it's VERY simple. Just make EVERY ONE of his books available to every library in the country.......

Doesn't have to give 'em a stinkin' penny.

And if he REALLY want's to be useful, have him tell all his buddies to do the SAME THING...

'Cause we've gone ANOTHER 9 months and it looks like every scumbag publisher that refused to make books available to libraries STILL doesn't. And if the authors don't force them, they'll all just continue fighting to see who can be the last buggywhip maker.
All of James Patterson's books seem to be available to libraries in my country (Canada) both paper and ebook. Perhaps some libraries chose not to buy them?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #48
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That he'd like to see a similar ratio of sales in the US?

It's obvious now that you point it out!

I was too busy trying to figure out what was negative about the figures to realise he was using them as a comparison that the US might want to try and emulate.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #49
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never read a book of his, and I don't know this guy.

Even so, I already don't like him. He's like FRACKING EVERYWHERE. In the news, in promotions, on the front pages of any webstore I go. I don't like these kind of people that are everywhere you look. We had one guy in the Netherlands who became a hype with regard to room and house decoration for some reason, and he was in basically every ad for about year that had something to do with furniture and decoration. I hate that.

edit: This guy. Jan des Bouvrie.

According to Wikipedia, he (finally) broke through in the beginning of the 90's, and is now up to publishing 13 (!) books a year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_P...n_bibliography

Also, in my opinion, you can't possibly write that many (good) books in one year, except when you're always casting the same type of story into another setting using differently named characters, or if you have ghost writers, writing books for you and publishing them under your name.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-22-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Oh, Patterson doesn't write his own books anymore. He comes up with a multi-page outline/description, and then has his "co-authors" do the actual writing, to his specifications (chapters can only be so long, and things like that.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #51
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Then he's not a writer anymore. He's just a manager now. Then why should I read any (new) books "written" by him? This author goes onto my "never to read list".
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #52
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Patterson could always stop doing business with Amazon and Barnes and Noble. He's the only author with enough clout to really "save" the Indies.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #53
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Oh, Patterson doesn't write his own books anymore. He comes up with a multi-page outline/description, and then has his "co-authors" do the actual writing, to his specifications (chapters can only be so long, and things like that.)
I'm under the impression that he does write a book or two a year himself. Also it seems that he does write the first book in each series, rather than merely providing plot outlines.

AFAIK he is up front about whether he actually wrote the book himself, and his name is in front solely because his name sells books. The authors he collaborates with are reasonably successful on their own merit.

I don't read Patterson currently because their are others I prefer, but I have probably read 30 or 40 of his books at least. Available at the library, on sale, etc, and while I got a tad tired of some series, I never felt that they were a waste of time, or badly done.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote