Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
wundrbee
wundrbee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle for PC Sync / Android Sync Questions

I searched around but did not find anything, so if this has been covered you have my apologies.

I use kindle for PC and Kindle for Android (running android 2.23). I plan on getting either a pw2 or a FireHD soon, maybe even both. So here's the questions I have

1. My book collection is 3800 kindle books (Most from the freebie section). It seems to take Kindle for android forever to load new books, heck even if I don't sync it still takes a while. Is this normal? Is it because I have such a large collection? Is there a solution for it?

2. I just installed the kindle for PC on Winxp. I set it to sync, that was four hours ago, and it's showing me 8 books. Is this normal and / or because I have suge a large collection, or does it just take a long time to sync on the computer? Is there a setting (I don't see many settings on the K4PC to begin with) that I'm missing?

Any advice suggestions would be welcome. I want to read, but geez geting this set up to read in the first place kinda takes the fun out of it.

Wundrbee
wundrbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
I've never attempted to use a 3800 book library with either the Kindle for Android or iOS apps, but I think that would be pushing the edge of the envelope, especially if you are trying to sync all 3800 books at once. You might try syncing just a few at time to see if it speeds things up considerably. If it does then 3800 might be too large a number.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
wundrbee

I don't want my whole collection downloaded to Kindle for PC (It looks like it is trying to do just that) I would just like to find a few to download at a time and be able to see the "archived" (not on device/computer) books to choose from. I cannot find away to get Kindle for PC to stop auto synching.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
wundrbee

I have figured out that it K4PC is trying to download 4 very LARGE files (2 about U.S. History and 2 about Art History) The only way to stop this (so far is to unplug my modem, or shut down K4PC. However, when I try to sync it starts to download them again, and more or less gets stuck because right now I have a crappy internet connection. I did as JSWindon suggested and went to my manage my kindle on the amazon website, and sent a couple of books to K4PC. They have synced just fine. Is there a way to stop these 4 huge files from downloading? I they are causing the app to hang and that is what's taking it so long.

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone, I've been working on this off and on today, and anything that I think might be relevant, I ask.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 2012, Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab 10.1
Have you tried going into the directory where your K4PC database files are and deleting the extra files? The only files that should be there are sockeye.dat and steelhead.dat. The extra files should be one of those files with some numbers attached to it. I usually get these files when the K4PC does not close properly. Your database files should be in \users\user name\app data\local\amazon\kindle\cache\db\. You could also go to the Manage Your Kindle website and unregister the kindle for pc. That should stop the pending downloads.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need to load 3,800 books on your devices? Obviously you're not planning to sit down and read them all in the near future. So why do you need to have them all physically present at the same time? Did you know that you can always re-download any particular title at any time?

Also - and I assure you I am only asking out of curiosity, not to make a point - how did you go about selecting those 3,800 books? Did you hand-pick them, or did you simply download every book in site, in the hope that you might one day decide to read one of them?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
wundrbee

Mike L: First off, I have NO desire to load all those books at once! Like you said, I am not going to read them all at once. I was simply wanting to have them show up, so I could choose what to download. Turned out it was only four HUGE books trying to download, and since I didn't send them to K4PC, I thought it was trying to download all of them because it doesn't take K4PC that long to just index the titles in your library.

I hand picked the books out - this has been over a period of about 2 years give or take a few months. How did I get so many? I have more than enough time on my hands, since I stay home to take care of my father who had a stroke a few years ago. Until recently, I didn't have anyone to help me. He can do a lot on his own, but he needs someone around 24/7. So, I had plenty of time to check out the freebie section of Amazon (Not all of my books are freebies). I'd read the description and reviews, and download what sounded good. Like I said, I had too much time on my hands. Now, not so much. I have someone helping me, so I can do more than sit around and read.

I'm not offended, I can understand the curiosity. I didn't realize I had that many books until recently and I was thinking :Man, do I need to get a life!", Lol!

nynaevelan: I did solve my problem. I was logging on to post it when I saw the replies.

I deleted the offending books. Deleted K4PC. Deregistered all of my devices. Re-installed K4PC, Re-registered android, cloud reader, and K4PC. Probllem solved.

Reading the replies here gave me thte idea to start over completely. Now I can see all of my books, download just a few to read, and everything is good.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. without them, I souldn't have figured out how to proceed in "starting over".

Wunderbee