Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
m4mmon
m4mmon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
docx conversion and footnotes

Hello,

I am trying calibre docx input plugin and have been really impressed.
But there is one thing that really annoys me, the footnotes processing: when converting to epub, a separate section is created for each footnote. While doing that increases readability, I have a document with hundreds of footnotes... and I would really appreciate if they could be in the same section.
  • I first tried to convert footnotes to endnotes, but the result is the same,
  • I checked the footnotes/endnotes paragraph style, option "page break before" is not selected,
  • I have looked in calibre conversion panel and have not been able to find any way to control that.

Does anyone have a solution? May be something to do in the source document? Or some magic xpath?

I know that I can merge epub sections with other tools, but I am asking if it is possible to do it *directly* in the document or *while* converting the document with calibre, or if I have to request an enhancement.

Thank you!
m4mmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Short answer: You cannot.

Long answer:
Putting footnotes together means you often end up reading the next footnote accidentally, which is distracting and can be bad if it reveals something the reader should not yet know. These are ebooks, it doesn't how many pages they have, you aren't saving anything by reducing the page count.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
m4mmon

Hi Kovid,
Thank you for your quick answer, you are right for most cases, but in my particular situation, I think this is not completely true: I am working with history books that contain hundred of references (other books, citations, etc.).
I did a short test, and not with the book that have the most footnotes:
  • docx converted to epub: 1318 KB, 1298 sections, 7 s to load in calibre viewer,
  • the same epub, with notes sections merged: 683 KB, 56 sections, 2 s.
I do not think I am not saving anything by reducing the page count
Since I cannot do that directly and this is very particular, I will merge sections manually after conversion.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just use the conversion option to not split on page breaks, that will fix your size issues (under EPUB output in the conversion dialog).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
m4mmon

Thank you! that worked, should have figured out this one myself

Tags
docx input, footnotes