Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #166
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Changes in ebookutils-0.8:
  1. fix crash when invalid .IMP encountered in bookshelf
  2. added sample content homepage and some sample ebooks

The sample homepage is very minimalistic. Please take care not to overwrite your changes when you upgrade in future!
Here's a replacement (index.html) for those that want some meat & potatoes with their surfing....

EDIT: I updated 'index.html' to fix the MR wiki link (it was wrong!).
Attached Files
File Type: zip index-nrapallo.zip (1.3 KB, 731 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-24-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: updated index.html to fix MR wiki link
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #167
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
Using version 8.
I'm experiencing the same circumstances as Askyn. To access the web, I first have to access the "online bookshelf". Following that, I must press Menu > Update_Now (pressing "Bookstore" creates an infinite search state). If if just go to the menu bar without first accessing my bookshelf, the reader goes into an infinite search for connection regardless of whether I press "Bookstore" or "Update Now." Apparently, the "Update Now" button only works if the reader is already connected to the server.
Hmm, I'll debug this when I get home. I don't test with my 1150 much, just the 1200 and it works fine for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Here's a replacement (index.html) for those that want some meat & potatoes with their surfing....
That's the point of the minimalistic approach: you can't please everyone so rather than pleasing someone you leave everyone equally dissatisfied and eager to roll out their own
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #168
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
hmm have another interesting thing happen to me last night.

Im not sure if its a Impserv thing or due to a possible corrupt imp files tho.

Let me explain.

in another posting I had asked for a simple way to edit imp files to update author / title / catagory information so that files I import are organized the way I want and have the title info etc the way i want.

It was recommended that I try Imp Librarian, with the possiblity that it might prevent geb lib from editing them in the future etc. ( I dont use geb lib tho so didnt matter )

Here is the issue tho, after editing all the information and cleaning up titles etc.

Im unable to transfer the files TO my 1150.

I can see them in my online bookshelf just fine, totally organized, etc. I select to download the file, it transfers, then errors out on the 1150 with the following error:

Failed to update book's unique id; report this error (28)

in the impserv window it says this:

impserve 0.8: starting server on 127.0.0.1:9090
127.0.0.1 - - [24/Sep/2008 07:20:28] "GET http://bookshelf.ebooksystem.net/books
helf/default.asp?INDEX=1&REQUEST=100&SHOW_HIDDEN=NO HTTP/1.0" 200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [24/Sep/2008 07:20:30] "GET http://bookshelf.ebooksystem.net/books
helf/getbook?eebook:guid-c9ce0db8493c4dd1a4c91cd526a6a582 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
127.0.0.1 - - [24/Sep/2008 07:20:38] code 404, message File not found
127.0.0.1 - - [24/Sep/2008 07:20:38] "GET http://bookshelf.ebooksystem.net/books
helf/getbook?eebook:guid-c9ce0db8493c4dd1a4c91cd526a6a582 HTTP/1.0" 404 -

help? I have a feeling that the imp librarian has corrupted the files some how ( good thing they are back up copies ! )
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #169
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
help? I have a feeling that the imp librarian has corrupted the files some how ( good thing they are back up copies ! )

Thank you, thank you, for doing this on backups! I thought it might have happened just to me. Good thing you read my WARNING!

I have a way to dissect a .imp so I'll do some more thorough testing of this issue, later today, when I get home from work. Yeah, I do work...

Would it be possible to upload here one of those corrupt .imp files in the meantime? I mean a non-copyrighted one!

BTW, I don't think it's impserve's issue.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #170
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Sure thing !

And thank you for the warning =)

ive been working with only back upcopies so far any way. But this is another reason to be carefull !!

Here is one of the files that doesnt load:

Haggard, H. Rider - SHE

currently free from Project Gutenberg, altho i got my current copy from a different web site.

OOH and just as a fyi, I emailed the author of Imp Librarian, very fast response but basically said they did this program a long time ago, never made money off of it and there is no support.
Attached Files
File Type: imp Haggard, H. Rider - SHE.imp (464.1 KB, 691 views)
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #171
nrapallo

Quote:

EDIT: I updated 'index.html' to fix the MR wiki link (it was wrong!).
Ditto!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #172
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Sure thing !

And thank you for the warning =)

ive been working with only back upcopies so far any way. But this is another reason to be carefull !!

Here is one of the files that doesnt load:

Haggard, H. Rider - SHE

currently free from Project Gutenberg, altho i got my current copy from a different web site.
Yep, it's a problem with Imp Librarian!!!! See attached .zip for some goodies...

Basically the .RES directory name appears as "ocket - She.RESBAHKS", which is 5 characters offset. It should probably have been "Mobipocket - She.RES"!

Quote:
OOH and just as a fyi, I emailed the author of Imp Librarian, very fast response but basically said they did this program a long time ago, never made money off of it and there is no support.
Oh, that's sad news! He obviously had some nice ideas...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Haggard, H[1]. Rider - SHE.zip (544.0 KB, 756 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-24-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #173
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
We'll just have to keep harassing nick for a new program to change categories. I also have a storage system, and within that structure I use categories quite extensively.

Since I can't load /all/ my books onto the device at once, I have to use some categories with numbers so I know if I have read the book, and when I read the book I edit the title and add the date there.

Huge pain, but I am so scatterbrained I need some type of system. I just wish I had the time to devote to coding now that I did in the BBS days.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #174
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
We'll just have to keep harassing nick for a new program to change categories.
It's Ok, I'll just harass ashkulz!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #175
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
It's Ok, I'll just harass ashkulz!
Pleade do (as you know, this is a function that _does not_ work on my system with GEBLibrarian, though my configuration seems to the same as yours).

Congratulations to you all, I noticed a lot of improvements on the last versions of impserve, indeed.

I just tried the web surfing functions and found some - minor but often encountered - problems with accented letters as are used in French and many other languages; here is a way to check this point :

From the "Welcome to Impserve" page on the EBW, go to my Lulu storefront (books I translate and publish) at www.lulu.com/robert_soubie. You will notice that words with accented characters in them are not correctly rendered ; for instant, "inédit" comes out with a square root and a copyrigth sign in lieu of the "é".

Of course this has to be an encoding problem (UTF-8 vs ???).

PS: This message was at first ill-placed, so I copied it here.

Last edited by Roberts324; 10-17-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #176
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
Using version 8.
I'm experiencing the same circumstances as Askyn. To access the web, I first have to access the "online bookshelf". Following that, I must press Menu > Update_Now (pressing "Bookstore" creates an infinite search state). If if just go to the menu bar without first accessing my bookshelf, the reader goes into an infinite search for connection regardless of whether I press "Bookstore" or "Update Now." Apparently, the "Update Now" button only works if the reader is already connected to the server.
I just experienced this on my EBW1150!

After the 'Online Bookshelf' tab is tapped, I could not use the 'Bookstore' menu item (infinite searching...). The only thing that worked was the 'Update Now' menu item. Exactly like above!

To fix this, I changed the reader's Phone Connection settings to not 'Use HTTP proxy' nor 'Use proxy for USB'. Then I connected to the bookshelf and let my reader 'call home' (the ETI servers). I explorered the choices there a bit and then returned to my original reader Phone Connection settings (checked those two choices again).

Now, everything works "as advertised"!

I attach before and after logs to see the different situations.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #177
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Hi Nick,

Any idea on the accented letetrs problem I mentionned above?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #178
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
Pleade do (as you know, this is a function that _does not_ work on my system with GEBLibrarian, though my configuration seems to the same as yours).

Congratulations to you all, I noticed a lot of improvements on the last versions of impserve, indeed.

I just tried the web surfing functions and found some - minor but often encountered - problems with accented letters as are used in French and many other languages; here is a way to check this point :

From the "Welcome to Impserve" page on the EBW, go to my Lulu storefront (books I translate and publish) at www.lulu.com/robert_soubie. You will notice that words with accented characters in them are not correctly rendered ; for instant, "inédit" comes out with a square root and a copyrigth sign in lieu of the "é".

Of course this has to be an encoding problem (UTF-8 vs ???).

PS: This message was at first ill-placed, so I copied it here.
Yes, it's a UTF-8 encoding issue. The text in your webpage is in UTF-8 encoding (ie. two characters to represent e acute, but the native ebookwise reader is happy to render é as é in windows-1252 encoding.

Can you replace the é in UTF-8 with a é as é ?

Partial website text in windows-1252:
Code:
Le roman Le Nouvel Adam, inédit en France, vient de paraître ; comme les autres oeuvres de Stanley G. Weinbaum, il est disponible en version brochée et, pour les collectionneurs et les bibliothèques de prêt, en version reliée avec jaquette en quadrichromie anti-poussière.
Partial website text with tidy in UTF-8:
Code:
Le roman <i>Le Nouvel Adam</i>, inédit en France, vient de paraître ; comme les autres oeuvres de Stanley G. Weinbaum, il est disponible en version brochée et, pour les collectionneurs et les bibliothèques de prêt, en version reliée avec jaquette en quadrichromie anti-poussière.</h4>
Partial website text with tidy in window-1252
Code:
Le roman Le Nouvel Adam, in&eacute;dit en France, vient de para&icirc;tre ; comme les autres oeuvres de Stanley G. Weinbaum, il est disponible en version broch&eacute;e et, pour les collectionneurs et les biblioth&egrave;ques de pr&ecirc;t, en version reli&eacute;e avec jaquette en quadrichromie anti-poussi&egrave;re.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-26-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #179
Roberts324
Mad translator

Quote:
Yes, it's a UTF-8 encoding issue. The text in your webpage is in UTF-8 encoding (ie. two characters to represent e acute, but the native ebookwise reader is happy to render é as &eacute; in windows-1252 encoding.

Can use replace the é in UTF-8 with a é as &eacute; ?
Well, of course not; my web pages were given as an example, they were created using the Microsoft Frontpage software, and I do not remember anything configurable along these lines.

However the same happens with every page using accented characters; have a look, using your EBW1150, at the French paper Libération at http://www.liberation.fr; I just do not see how they could be requested not to use UTF-8 encoding...

Also, the URL for Le Monde (http://www.lemonde.fr) just hangs the EBW1150.

Quote:
Hope this helps!
Well, there is probably a margin for improvement left
Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #180
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
Well, there is probably a margin for improvement left
Ok, then, try changing (temporarily) line 105 in the BeautifulSoup.py plugin to read:
Code:
DEFAULT_OUTPUT_ENCODING = "windows-1252"
instead of "utf-8".

Don't know why it returns uppercase e acute though for é.

Closer?