Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Addict
BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500, Jb-Lite, PRS-650, PB302, Asus T-90MT
Unhappy Calibre won't sync with my Nook STR

I'm using .9.40 on Windows XP although I noticed the issue awhile ago it's just finally gotten to the point I'm really annoyed by it. When I plug in my Nook my computer recognizes it with no problem. I can easily manipulate the files through windows explorer. I open up Calibre and it spends a solid 40 minutes getting the list of books on device only to pop an error as soon as it hits 100%. It gives me the following message:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.9.40
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 477, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 244, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 392, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 390, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 123, in encode_to_file
File "json\__init__.py", line 250, in dumps
File "json\encoder.py", line 209, in encode
MemoryError

What gets me is it says there's an error communicating with the device and won't show the list of books but Calibre still shows that the device is connected as well as Memory Card A and has absolutely no issues with sending books to either of them.

Does anyone know why it's doing this? And if not is there a way to get Calibre to recognize that a device is connected but *not* search for the list of books? Having to wait 40 minutes every time I connect my Nook to be able to do anything with it is really really annoying and a monumental waste of time since it doesn't even get me the list of books.

Beth

Edit: I went to Preferences: Miscellaneous: Debug Device Detection and it gives me this message:
calibre, version 0.9.40
ERROR: Device already detected: A device (The Nook) is already detected by calibre. If you wish to debug the detection of another device, first disconnect this device.

Last edited by BookJunkieLI; 07-27-2013 at 12:28 AM.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have either too many books on your Nook or a book with malformed matadata, like the entire book in the comments field.

Right click on the device icon in calibre sleect configure this device and tell it to not read metadata from the books on the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Addict
BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.BookJunkieLI could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks, Kovid. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Between my fanfiction and actual books I've got about 8,000 files on my Nook. Is there a way to check for books with malformed metadata in case that's the issue?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, not without some programming ability.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
BookJunkieLI
Addict

Ah. Thanks for the answer.