Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
JWK
JWK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should I buy a Kindle DX?

I'm thinking used. I do not own an ereader. My wife has had a Kindle (K3?) with the keyboard. She is on her third replacement (Amazon customer service is amazing). Anyway, I have read an awful lot of novels on her kindle and would like an ereader of my own.

I wonder if a DX might be right for me because I always read her kindle in landscape with the font size the the second smallest setting. I did own a KPW that I got for Christmas for about two weeks. At the time I was a bit miffed about the uneven lighting and the fact that my library did not have the selection of books my wife claimed at the time. That has changed and I also realize that I will still use the library for paper books. They will both coexist in the near future.

So I really like the improved resolution of the PW, don't need the lighting and I want a bigger page so I can read in portrait mode and not have to flick the page so often (I read pretty fast and find this to be a mild annoyance but not a deal breaker).

I was actually all set to get the new Kobo aura, but found out you can't use landscape and the reports on bad QC and CS worries me.

There is no perfect answer and I'm spinning around in circles. Please help.
JWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
JWK

Oh, just thought I would mention... I've been a member here over a year and have done a lot of lurking and research. My plan for whatever I get is to go through calibre and sideload onto my reader. I consider myself an ethical person and am not motivated to circumvent paying for things that have a price tag. However, my wife has purchased hundreds of ebooks and I'm not going to get locked into buying a kindle if an epub reader will suit me better. I consider sharing books in the same household ethical.

Just explaining that I'm open to any format.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Miira
Miira began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
If you like a bigger screen, the DX is the way to go. You'll probably use Calibre to manage your library, regardless of which reader you buy, so I wouldn't worry too much about sticking with any particular brand, as long as your tech savvy enough to figure out how to strip DRM.
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
SAKDOSS
SAKDOSS began at the beginning.

Hello,

I recommand the onyx boox M92. Same screen size than the kindle DX.

I bought it instead of the kindle since it enable to : zoom, rotate the screen (and also to write notes on pdf with the stylus but it may not be usefull for you).

Moreover, you can easily organise and upload files on the M92 (not sure it's the case with the kindle).
SAKDOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Unless you can (and want to) strip DRM, the only solution for sharing your wife's ebooks (bought on amazon I assume) is to get a Kindle and register it to her account...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX is a fine reader. I just sent mine to Afghanistan with a friend. My Mother uses hers on a daily basis. It works great.

There are some downsides, the software is not going to be updated again. I suppose there might be some small chance that it gets updated but I would be beyond surprised. It is heaveier and harder to carry in smaller bags. There is no WiFi option.

The pros, a lot more words on the page. That was what got me.

Personally, I have been reading a ton on my iPad. I'll use my K3 when I am outside on vacation. My friend had a choice between the DX and K3 and choose the DX. I am fine with the smaller screen so it is not a big deal.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
Keep in mind that the DX only has page turn buttons on one side, which might be a pain due to it's size when used in landscape. That said, there is the 30 day money-back return window if you don't like it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It can be turned so that the page buttons are on the side you are comfortable with. It is pretty easy to do.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, KTSO, KFHD7, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It can be turned so that the page buttons are on the side you are comfortable with. It is pretty easy to do.
That's in portrait only, right? For landscape the page turn button is at the top or bottom. I only read in portrait, so I may be missing something.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Yes, the buttons will be on the top or bottom in landscape. I never found that to be problematic. You can rotate it so that it is in the area you are mostcomfortable with.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
markom
Addict
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The DX is a fine reader. I just sent mine to Afghanistan with a friend. My Mother uses hers on a daily basis. It works great.

There are some downsides, the software is not going to be updated again. I suppose there might be some small chance that it gets updated but I would be beyond surprised. It is heaveier and harder to carry in smaller bags. There is no WiFi option.

The pros, a lot more words on the page. That was what got me.

Personally, I have been reading a ton on my iPad. I'll use my K3 when I am outside on vacation. My friend had a choice between the DX and K3 and choose the DX. I am fine with the smaller screen so it is not a big deal.
It takes just a few minutes to install kindlepdfviewer thereon, a lot better pdf reader than the native one with all the necessary zooming options, highlighting, night mode, gamma correction etc.

kindlepdfviewer also reads epub !!! djvu, cbz, html and allows for folders !!!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2466450

Unlike Duokan (parallel OS for kindles) we can get back to the native reader in a couple of seconds by pressing home button or again to kindlepdfviewer in couple of seconds by pressing shift+p+d..

Last edited by markom; 07-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
JWK

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to shop on ebay for one. Is there any particular version I should or should not get? Questions to ask seller? Thanks for the info!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I still love my DX. If it had a front-light possibility it would be perfect.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
Allucard
Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
Oh, just thought I would mention... I've been a member here over a year and have done a lot of lurking and research. My plan for whatever I get is to go through calibre and sideload onto my reader. I consider myself an ethical person and am not motivated to circumvent paying for things that have a price tag. However, my wife has purchased hundreds of ebooks and I'm not going to get locked into buying a kindle if an epub reader will suit me better. I consider sharing books in the same household ethical.

Just explaining that I'm open to any format.
A e-ink Kobo seems to be the best for you. It's features are enabled for all books you put on it, not just those from its store. EPUB friendly.

Nook is fine but you won't be sharing to facebook if you buy your books from their store. Also EPUB friendly.

This is what I found out so far.
Allucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Roice59
Roice59 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Both my parents have got a kindle each and they love it and have never had any problems :S
definetly go for it
Roice59 is offline   Reply With Quote