Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
I just put the N2A card in my Nook HD+ (bought the 32GB Class 4 card from Amazon and paid for the download N2A software - saved about $12, IIRC), because I wanted to see what was what with it, and I didn't want to break my warranty yet.

I don't know if you really gain all that much, now that Google Play is available. I suppose it depends on whether or not certain apps that you want are not available on the straight Nook platform. Using the N2A card allows you to download the apps that Nook blocks because they are "Unidentified Sources". You can access the Amazon Appstore with it. I'm guessing you can access the other Android app markets also, though I haven't tried that yet. I've been able to download Android apps directly from websites (IndieBound, for example). Both cores are now clocked at 800 MHz at rest, as opposed to the straight Nook's 396 MHz at rest; the device does open and close programs fast. You can install Flash on it, getting the software from Adobe's archived versions website. You also get full access to all the Android settings controls, not just the ones that B&N has sandboxed for us.

The limitations I've come across so far are the sites like Cablevision/Optimum which offer Android apps, but only for specific phone devices.

When powering up the device, it boots into N2A's CM10 software, but if you install a program called Quick Boot you can press its icon, choose "Bootloader" in the menu that comes up and it will reboot into the stock Nook software without powering down and up. To get back into CM10 if you are in the stock Nook software, though, you have to power down then power up - Quick Boot doesn't work on the Nook side. If you don't want to boot into CM10 at power up, you have to remove the microSD card from the device, because it defaults to that, and then you will just boot into stock Nook until you replace the N2A card.

I'm not going to put N2A on my HD because it's perfectly serviceable for the things I need it for as it is. My HD+ with N2A is now an unfettered Android tablet without having to root it and break the warranty.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
Are there any kindle apps that will auto sort by category or genre?
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
I've gone app crazy.
There is a flylady app called Fly Helper
Twitter: Plume
Twitter: TweetCaster
Tumblr
Facebook
Browsers: Next, Opera Classic, Maxthon and the default Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I've added the NEXT Browser to my must-haves. It also plays Flash and Amazon Instant Video works on it.

What I'm trying to decide on now is a password manager.

ETA: That browser will also play the Acorn TV videos from the Acorn website.
Go to this link http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/brow...=2940043651563 you will be able to use flash with any browser. It took me a minute to find that as it didn't come up when I searched for browser plug in. I was able to use it with the ones I listed above and also Dolphin Browser which I ended up uninstalling. Flash worked on the puffin browser (with what was built into it) but it was choppy so I uninstalled it.

Fitness: BHF tracker, Jucy, DietFrame, My Diet Coach, Slimdown Strategy

Wordpress

Reading: Smashwords, FBReader, Mantano Light, Go Book, Calibre Sunc, Go Comics, Kobo, Paper Mache, FanFiction, CML Mobile (local libray), Overdrive, Zinio, Kindle

Roku... this is great, I ALWAYS lose my remote.

Video: TBN mobile, youtube, cartoon network, netflix, imdb

Cooking: Baker, Primal Paleo, Bread Making Guidfe, Pumpkin Recipes, Better Homes and Garden Must have recipes, 2 bartender apps, food planner

Shopping: Amazon, 1saleaday, slickdeals, ebay, qvc, kroger

4-5 bible apps

5 or 6 angry birds/bad piggies games

Pac-man, bejewelled, crosswords, tetris

A few nail art apps

several success and motivation apps.

I haven't been able to get the springpad or YNAB (you need a budget) so I'm going to have to look into trying to side load those.
wikihow
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
Uh... CyanogenMod 10.1?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am nickel-and-diming myself into poverty between Google Play, the Nook Store and the Amazon App store - lol.

I decided on the mSecure password manager; I like its encryption features.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I decided on the mSecure password manager; I like its encryption features.
I use it on both my iThings and Android devices and like it a lot.

I haven't used their desktop software, but a friend of mine does and likes that too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #22
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
WIFI File Transfer
USA Today
UK&World News
No Lock --- Removes the initial screen lock. Will use while Nook is at home for sure.
Rush App works better than on my android phone.
MX Player. Plays most video files.
Amazon Kindle app - for those files I don't care to convert.
Craigslist Pro +
Solid Explorer
Dolphin Browser
WSJ app
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Xanthe
Wizard

FilmOn Live TV
Encore Play
Smithsonian Channel

And for games:
Cubistry
Wordplay
Solitaire City
Weave
Castle Clout
POGO Games
PathPix
The Curse
The Room
Machinarium
Pop Words Reaction
Fruit Ninja

Last edited by Xanthe; 07-15-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
One of my favorite apps is AppGratis. It offers a different paid app for free every day. A week or two ago they had Moon+ Reader Pro. I got it even though I use Mantano Premium as my everyday reader. Most of the offerings seem to be games, which I don't get since I have enough of them on my tablet already. But if you want more free games for your kids, check out this app.

I also really like Application Folder. It lets you group your apps into folders, and you can use any image you want for the folder icon. This app is especially useful if you are using the stock firmware, which I preferred to keep, because that comes with no folder system of its own.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Jonah K
Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Jonah K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Apple iPad mini, Nook HD+, Nook HD, Nook Tablet
Although I have quite a few apps from the B&N store, here are some of my favorites from Google Play...

Press Reader
Zinio
Calibre Companion
ComicRack
Poweramp Music Player
Speaktoit Assistant
Flight Track
Flight Board
IMI - Japanese Dictionary
ES File Explorer
ES Task Manager
WDTV Live Remote