Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
book_goddess
book_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Line spacing for .mobi

Hi there!

I used to have a Kindle Keyboard. I've recently changed to a Sony PRS-T2, but the Kindle Keyboard was so much more comfortable to hold one-handed - so I'm considering changing back. One thing I've noticed, though, is that I really prefer the line spacing on my current reader. I don't know if this is an epub/mobi thing, or an Amazon/Sony thing. Can I have some help?

I'll use a little bit from A Song Of Ice And Fire, because it's what I'm forever re-reading, so it's always open. Now, my issue is that on my Kindle, it would treat every single line break as a paragraph break - while that might work excellently for some, it's horribly annoying to me. So, I want to know if I can get books to display on the Kindle the way that they display on the Sony. An example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon Kindle Keyboard
Yes. Jon thought of Gilly. She and her sisters. They were nineteen, and Craster was one, but...

"Yet it would be an ill day for us if Craster died. Your uncle could tell you of the times Craster's Keep made the difference between life and death for our rangers."

"My father..." He hesitated.

"Go on, Jon. Say what you would say."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Reader PRS-T2
Yes. Jon thought of Gilly. She and her sisters. They were nineteen, and Craster was one, but...
"Yet it would be an ill day for us if Craster died. Your uncle could tell you of the times Craster's Keep made the difference between life and death for our rangers."
"My father..." He hesitated.
"Go on, Jon. Say what you would say."
Any solution? I strip the DRM of all of my books and convert them from whatever format they're in to whatever format I need using Calibre. Should I stop converting to .mobi (does the kindle keyboard support kf8?) if I want to get rid of the spaces?
book_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Those are all paragraph breaks. If you don't like the space between the paragraphs, do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre and check the "Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs" box on the "Look and Feel" page of the Conversion options.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
book_goddess
book_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texanbook_goddess might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Thanks!
book_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2/DXG, FireHD 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Those are all paragraph breaks. If you don't like the space between the paragraphs, do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre and check the "Remove Spacing Between Paragraphs" box on the "Look and Feel" page of the Conversion options.
Be aware that selecting this option may also remove spacing in other areas of the book that may not be desired, i.e., Table of Contents.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
It may, but it's something that I use a lot with very good results. Should it fail to work, there are of course other, more sophisticated, ways of doing it, but if it does work (and, as I say, I've had good results from it), it's the quickest way to solve the problem. There's certainly nothing to lose by trying it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't know about that...Thanks HarryT!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote