Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
centuryx476
Member
centuryx476 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Nook Color
Blue color and underlined

I have been able to convert PDF files using a software mobipocket and calibre in unison. I use calibre to convert to HTMLZ then to epub. For one of my PDF files for some reason all the text is blue and underlined when I transfer it to my Nook Color. But when I view it on calibre it is fine...

Anyone point me to the right direction on this?

Thank you
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,430
Karma: 5560777
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The (original) Silicon Valley, USA
Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryx476 View Post
I have been able to convert PDF files using a software mobipocket and calibre in unison. I use calibre to convert to HTMLZ then to epub. For one of my PDF files for some reason all the text is blue and underlined when I transfer it to my Nook Color. But when I view it on calibre it is fine...

Anyone point me to the right direction on this?

Thank you
blue underline is typical of an Active Link (eg back to a TOC)
We could get rid of the Blue: color: black;
We could get rid of the underline: text-decoration: none;

but they are still Anchors

The real question, is WHY they converted to Anchors in the first place?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
centuryx476
Member
centuryx476 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
blue underline is typical of an Active Link (eg back to a TOC)
We could get rid of the Blue: color: black;
We could get rid of the underline: text-decoration: none;

but they are still Anchors

The real question, is WHY they converted to Anchors in the first place?
That is a very good question...
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,019
Karma: 1682890
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NSW Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryx476 View Post
I have been able to convert PDF files using a software mobipocket and calibre in unison. I use calibre to convert to HTMLZ then to epub. For one of my PDF files for some reason all the text is blue and underlined when I transfer it to my Nook Color. But when I view it on calibre it is fine...
I use Mobipocket Creator as my default PDF converter. I always convert the prc it creates to epub rather than the HTML. I have no evidence that it would make a difference in this case but it could be worth trying.

Why do I convert the prc and not the html. My default viewer for prc is the Calibre Reader, my default viewer for HTML is Firefox. By opening the prc I can get a better idea of what the Epub will look like after conversion - if its 'good enough' then I drag it into the calibre book details panel.

If the prc is not 'good enough', then I try alternative converters - Hamster, Nitro PDF/Word, Calibre itself... sometimes I give up.

BTW - what's unison 'got to do with it' - I assume you're referring to the file synch tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
blue underline is typical of an Active Link (eg back to a TOC)
We could get rid of the Blue: color: black;
We could get rid of the underline: text-decoration: none;

but they are still Anchors

The real question, is WHY they converted to Anchors in the first place?
How do you know they are Anchors - in the sense that they are clickable-on to navigate to somewhere.

It may be that the text is simply colored blue and underlined - the sticky note gadget I use behaves similarly in certain circumstances - its easily overcome - so I stick with the gadget

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-08-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
centuryx476
Member
centuryx476 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I use Mobipocket Creator as my default PDF converter. I always convert the prc it creates to epub rather than the HTML. I have no evidence that it would make a difference in this case but it could be worth trying.

Why do I convert the prc and not the html. My default viewer for prc is the Calibre Reader, my default viewer for HTML is Firefox. By opening the prc I can get a better idea of what the Epub will look like after conversion - if its 'good enough' then I drag it into the calibre book details panel.

If the prc is not 'good enough', then I try alternative converters - Hamster, Nitro PDF/Word, Calibre itself... sometimes I give up.

BTW - what's unison 'got to do with it' - I assume you're referring to the file synch tool.


How do you know they are Anchors - in the sense that they are clickable-on to navigate to somewhere.

It may be that the text is simply colored blue and underlined - the sticky note gadget I use behaves similarly in certain circumstances - its easily overcome - so I stick with the gadget

BR

Hmm, alrighty I will try doing what you said, and I'll use those other converters. What I meant by unison was I use mobireader than calibre. Not at the same time for obvious reasons.

Update: By using the .prc file and calibre to epub. When I view it in my nook color the blue underline goes way.

Thank you very much

Last edited by centuryx476; 05-09-2013 at 07:02 PM.
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,019
Karma: 1682890
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NSW Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryx476 View Post
Hmm, alrighty I will try doing what you said, and I'll use those other converters. What I meant by unison was I use mobireader than calibre. Not at the same time for obvious reasons.

Update: By using the .prc file and calibre to epub. When I view it in my nook color the blue underline goes way.

Thank you very much
- I really didn't have any confidence that the PRC would work, that's why mentioned the other converters. Glad that it did tho

Re 'unison', I'm guessing that English is not your mother tongue - Calibre 'together with' Mobipocket would have been better - unison is most often used in the sense of doing something at the same time - such as singing in unison, marching in unison.

Good luck - BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
centuryx476
Member
centuryx476 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
- I really didn't have any confidence that the PRC would work, that's why mentioned the other converters. Glad that it did tho

Re 'unison', I'm guessing that English is not your mother tongue - Calibre 'together with' Mobipocket would have been better - unison is most often used in the sense of doing something at the same time - such as singing in unison, marching in unison.

Good luck - BR
When it comes to writing on forums I let my grammar drop for many reasons.
Anyway let me ask you this.

Is there anyway to make like a standard conversion template. I know I can change the settings in the conversion in calibre but is their a software you know I can do that in.

I like to have all my ebooks as perfect as possible because of my slight OCD when it comes to formatting. That's why when I code in C++ I always format my code in a specific way so this carries over to my ebooks.

Thanks
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,019
Karma: 1682890
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NSW Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryx476 View Post
When it comes to writing on forums I let my grammar drop for many reasons.
Anyway let me ask you this.

Is there anyway to make like a standard conversion template. I know I can change the settings in the conversion in calibre but is their a software you know I can do that in.

I like to have all my ebooks as perfect as possible because of my slight OCD when it comes to formatting. That's why when I code in C++ I always format my code in a specific way so this carries over to my ebooks.

Thanks
I'm not sure I understand you - if you mean formatting the book in respect to its appearance i.e. fonts, margins, columns etc then I would have thought that would be the job of the authoring tool you use, if you mean the layout of the resultant code - HTML, XML etc then maybe something like Notepad++ can help you in that, and Sigil for EPUB's

But if you convert one format to another you're probably going to lose something appearance wise and almost certainly code layout wise.

I suggest you start a new thread with a suitable title - maybe in the main calibre forum, there are people here who know a lot more about those issues than I do. I'll chime in with any 'bright ideas' I may happen to have.

Cheers BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
centuryx476
Member
centuryx476 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 18
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm not sure I understand you - if you mean formatting the book in respect to its appearance i.e. fonts, margins, columns etc then I would have thought that would be the job of the authoring tool you use, if you mean the layout of the resultant code - HTML, XML etc then maybe something like Notepad++ can help you in that, and Sigil for EPUB's

But if you convert one format to another you're probably going to lose something appearance wise and almost certainly code layout wise.

I suggest you start a new thread with a suitable title - maybe in the main calibre forum, there are people here who know a lot more about those issues than I do. I'll chime in with any 'bright ideas' I may happen to have.

Cheers BR

Alrighty thank you very much
centuryx476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Underlined TOC Links EasternDiv ePub 4 01-07-2012 04:18 AM
Content First several words in chapter underlined j.p.s Amazon Kindle 7 10-04-2011 07:57 PM
H1 now blue, underlined, in ade brewt Calibre 9 06-24-2010 01:49 PM
Free on Kindle - Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely koland Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 1 08-20-2009 09:26 PM
Color: Silver or Dark Blue yagiz Sony Reader 35 06-24-2008 12:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.