Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Is there a shortcut to AppData I can type in the search box on vista?

As cant seem to find it
it is a hidden folder ( 3 sub-folders actually - local, LocalLow & roaming) so on default settings you can't see it. Windows design that programs should store their configuration data in APPdata but is that you should keep out of such things

change your folder view option to show hidden folders. then look in roaming subfolder
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 , Nexus 4, Kobo Touch, HTC Wildfire
Question Reporting back - now no books at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I am puzzled then - your laptop calibre should be reading metadata.db & seeing the 2000 books.

i'd do everything again from scratch & see what happens - you want to clone both the library folder & the preferences folder from desktop to laptop.

suggest 1. remove calibre from laptop
2, copy those 2 folders - i'd use the excellent & free freefilesync utility - google it
3. install calibre to laptop - it should then find everything
Did exactly what you said
I now have no books at all in the new installation of calibre!
But some of the plug ins are there!

I had another look at my 2,000 epubs copied from the desktop calbre folder.
I'm no good understanding files, but the epub files look different

They dont have a file with spots on now. Added a pic for you to see.

Also noticed that when I open my windows user folder and open a calibre library folder there that database file says 126kb ( also there are no books there!)
But when I open the calibre library folder full of books I just added to Documents, it says 12,736kb
But as I say they are there, but not showing in the calibre folder that has appeared in my username folder
Very confused now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	105590  

Last edited by book64; 05-08-2013 at 01:04 PM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
book64
Now find (use windows explorer): metadata.db
Note the FOLDER location it is IN

Now start Calibre
Right click the Library (books) Icon
Switch/Create: USE Existing: Select the folder location from above

The old preferences simply had the OLD location as the current Library.

Last edited by theducks; 05-08-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot the red stuff
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
book64

Now start Calibre

Had tried everything in that menu 10 mins and no change at all.
So was just about to give up and decided to copy all the whole calibre folder contents (In documents that it would not find) into the other calibre folder in my user folder.
Thought well nothing lost and it worked! Replaced the database files also
I now have my 2000 books in calibre and 2/3rds of my plug ins also
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it seems that windows on your laptop has no program assigned for file type .epub.

double click an epub on your DESKTOP -see what program opens it - then set up the same option on your LAPTOP
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
book64
Love reading

Quote:
it seems that windows on your laptop has no program assigned for file type .epub.

double click an epub on your DESKTOP -see what program opens it - then set up the same option on your LAPTOP
Thanks will do never thought of that
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
book64

Now start Calibre

Thanks for helping. Don't know why that didn't work then. Strange it worked me transferring the ebooks to the other calibre folder, when everywhere it says don't mess with the calibre folder.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Thanks for helping. Don't know why that didn't work then. Strange it worked me transferring the ebooks to the other calibre folder, when everywhere it says don't mess with the calibre folder.
It only works IF if the USER (library) path is identical 100%
None of my systems have the same User ID, even tho there is only Me, Myself and I, using them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #24
book64
Love reading

Quote:
It only works IF if the USER (library) path is identical 100%
None of my systems have the same User ID, even tho there is only Me, Myself and I, using them
Hi Do you mean my sign in details? Both pcs are the same
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Hi Do you mean my sign in details? Both pcs are the same
like he says EVERYTHING - so the complete folder paths must also be identical e.g. my full path is C:\users\myname\My Documents\Calibre Library
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
book64
Love reading

Quote:
like he says EVERYTHING - so the complete folder paths must also be identical e.g. my full path is C:\users\myname\My Documents\Calibre Library
Ah yes mine is too
So can I play about with the version of calibre now on my laptop... Eg add more add ons etc with no effect on my main calibre books on my desktop.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Library in Dropbox

I have my Calibre library in Dropbox. I run Calibre on both my PC and laptop. Both use the library in Dropbox. Been doing this for a few years with no problem.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #28
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I have my Calibre library in Dropbox. I run Calibre on both my PC and laptop. Both use the library in Dropbox. Been doing this for a few years with no problem.
Thanks Even if you change things?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #29
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Quote:
Quote:
I've got the same set up, and while I usually work on my laptop I do sometimes add books or edit metadata on my desktop. At times the two installations have been different versions of calibre, and certainly they have not always had identical sets of PIs, nor identical preferences. I try to keep them close, but as long as I NEVER have them running simultaneously I have not had any trouble.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
I actually run Calibre portable from within Dropbox on two different computers. The actual path to Dropbox and thus calibre portable is different on both machines but I have not had a problem running calibre in this fashion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote