Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPad 3
I would like a book to read

I just today finished my semester in college. I have four days schoolwork free. I would like to read a book for fun and not really to learn anything. I am not sure what I am looking for but I have a few bits of info that might help.

Using iPad to read
Have iBooks and Kindle app for reading
Must be free, no cost
Want a stand alone book, not a series
Currently listening to the Stephanie Plum audiobook series
Favorite modern book series is Harry Potter
Like clean comedy, mystery, encouraging, and fantasy
Prefer modern English, no "King James" type English

Thank you for the help and advice.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
gbm
Guru
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisence Sero 7 Pro, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Old Nathan by David Drake in the Baen Free Library.

Quote:
FIVE YEARS AFTER
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION,
MAGIC IS LOOSE IN THE BACKWOODS

The forces of evil are poised to prey on the folk of the hamlets and hollows: witches, demons, and red-handed men—but first they'll have to overcome Old Nathan the Wizard.

He doesn't claim much for his magical powers, but they're real enough for what they are—and besides, he hasn't forgotten how to use his long flintlock rifle ....

Enter the gritty, realistic world of Old Nathan, a backwoodsman who talks to animals and says he'll face The Devil himself-and who in the end will have to face The Devil in very fact.

"David Drake is one of those rare authors who seems capable of switching from one mode of writing to another, hard science, near future political thriller to high fantasy, with a smooth meshing of gears."
-Science Fiction Chronicle
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote