Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you read PDF documents?
I extract the text content first 11 8.40%
I use a pdf file conversion utility (Which one?) 33 25.19%
I use a computer, laptop or tablet PC 64 48.85%
I don't read pdf files because it's not worth the effort 21 16.03%
Doesn't matter - I never have pdf files I want to read 2 1.53%
I have a another approach (Explain in a comment!) 28 21.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #61
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Hi BlackVoid,
your method sounds like you have to manually reinsert the pictures from the original document for use with BookDesigner. Is that so?

Thanks,
Hansl
No. No manual processing needed.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #62
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Also promising is the pi (pdftoimage) program created by caritas, where, as you mentioned, the .pdf can be split in half vertically and then the lines can weaved back alternatively, so as to preserve the textual flow (and images).
Bob:

I've had some success converting .pdf using the pi algorithm combined with PDFRead's GUI interface. It's crude, but yields great results. See for yourself, using your reader's format instead, here.

Here's hoping these two programs get "merged" somehow to make this more streamlined!

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-10-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: fixed typos
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #63
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Bob:

I've had some success converting .pdf using the pi algorithm combined with PDFRead's GUI interface. It's crude, but yields great results. See for yourself, using your reader's format instead, here.

Here's hoping these two programs get "merged" somehow to make this more streamlined!
Thks! I did see that - I keep an eye on that thread for the same reason you mentioned -- I am also really hoping that it gets incorporated into PDFRead!!!! That would be really spectacular. I occasionally get in the mood to get down and dirty with that sort of thing, but more often I just settle for easy approaches to conversions (such as if it happened "automagically" as a PDFRead option). Would like to also be able to crop out things like headers/footers/pageNbrs that prevent the page from being expanded a bit on the screen, but that's not especially critical. It just means I need my glasses to see the small print.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #64
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4B, KK, iPad 3 (Purged: K1, Cybook Opus, NST)
What I've been doing the is either:

1 - open the PDF in MobiPocket Creator and take the resulting HTML file and pop it into Word. Then I basically mark everything as normal text, ditch any smarttags, remove xml tags/template, re-format paragraphs and headings and then save as either .doc or filtered .html and then use MobiPocket Creator to make my .mobi file

2 - Use Abbyy PDF Transform to get a .doc or .rtf file out and then do same editing and formatting as above.

Both of these are painful to do...paragraphs broken in the middle of sentences, spacing/punctuation errors, etc. But I am pretty picky and spending the time doing this gives me a pretty good .mobi file.

Once everything is .mobi it goes in my library and moved to my Kindle.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #65
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Thks! I did see that - I keep an eye on that thread for the same reason you mentioned -- I am also really hoping that it gets incorporated into PDFRead!!!! That would be really spectacular. I occasionally get in the mood to get down and dirty with that sort of thing, but more often I just settle for easy approaches to conversions (such as if it happened "automagically" as a PDFRead option). Would like to also be able to crop out things like headers/footers/pageNbrs that prevent the page from being expanded a bit on the screen, but that's not especially critical. It just means I need my glasses to see the small print.
Bob:

Sorry about that expanding "bug" with the Sony format, but I have tried everything I know to try to squash it, but to no avail (see here for more of my efforts on this). I know it makes reading less than enjoyable, but in the interest of promoting this "pi - PDFRead" idea, I attach a .lrf file produced similarly to my .imp files. Just look at the pages that are not expanded.

I also attach a .prc verision for Kindle/Cybook Gen3 users, so they can also see first hand how well .pdf's can look on small screened ebooks readers like the EBW1150 and Sony PRS-505 using pi and PDFRead! Please note that I tried to use PDFRead to convert to .prc format, but my NRhtml2mobi.exe just "hung" at the end making the .prc (i.e. took too long...) so I just finished off with Mobipocket Creator to produce this .prc. Again, crude, but got the job done.

This all should be fixed, but needs more testing to find the best solution...
Attached Files
File Type: lrf chap6-000001-0.lrf (5.11 MB, 280 views)
File Type: prc chap6-000001-0.prc (6.78 MB, 414 views)
File Type: pdf chap6.pdf (267.9 KB, 489 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-10-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added sample chap6.pdf used (part of pi distrubtion)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #66
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
It's really weird to me, that so far at least, emailing the pdf manuals to my kindle works great. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show a page, and if I am, how I would go about doing so, but looking at it on the kindle looks just like the online manual... even the tables and examples look correct so far.

Have I just been lucky in that the programs I am learning made their files so usable? (the license allows for either printing or using as an electronic reading file).
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #67
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-650
If it's text-only (which most of them are) I just let the PRS-505 do the reflowing. Before the new firmware came out I used to run it through my own reflowing script first, which does a slightly better job but is an utter pain in the ass to use. Go 505!
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #68
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 3GS; Kindle 4 (Black); Nook HD+
I have a laser printer: so anything other than a short document I tend to print. I see PDF as a printing/storage format, not a reading format.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote