Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #691
talaivan
Zealot
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 123
Karma: 1022582
Join Date: Oct 2007
Device: Sony prs-505
After using the Aura for a week, I find I like it better than any other ereaders I have tried, including the Paperwhite. I got the Sleep Cover case, and at first thought it was rather flimsy -- but it works well and is very light. I use it all the time now. Using Calibre to sideload books with the Kobo Touch plug-in, pages appear nicer to me. One of the things that I like is the size -- it is large enough to emulate a real book while not being heavy and unwieldy, like the iPad (including the Mini).
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #692
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
93terp's Avatar
 
Posts: 392
Karma: 1007178
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Margaritaville
Device: Kobo Aura HD, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
After using the Aura for a week, I find I like it better than any other ereaders I have tried, including the Paperwhite. I got the Sleep Cover case, and at first thought it was rather flimsy -- but it works well and is very light. I use it all the time now. Using Calibre to sideload books with the Kobo Touch plug-in, pages appear nicer to me. One of the things that I like is the size -- it is large enough to emulate a real book while not being heavy and unwieldy, like the iPad (including the Mini).
I couldn't agree more! I've had mine for 4 days, and so far the reading experience, IMHO, is superior to my Kindle Paperwhite. Especially the implementation of the light. Is it perfect? Of course not. The software is buggy, but seems to mostly minor issues in the overall scheme of things. And the fact I can manage my book shelves ("Collections" in Kindle-speak) through Calibre with plugins, without needing a jailbreak, is awesome!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #693
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Katsunami's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,958
Karma: 14042679
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I couldn't agree more! I've had mine for 4 days, and so far the reading experience, IMHO, is superior to my Kindle Paperwhite. Especially the implementation of the light. Is it perfect? Of course not. The software is buggy, but seems to mostly minor issues in the overall scheme of things. And the fact I can manage my book shelves ("Collections" in Kindle-speak) through Calibre with plugins, without needing a jailbreak, is awesome!
I find it stupid to the max that ereader manufacturers seem to mostly ignore Calibre. They could provide an installer that would give Calibre a new skin so it would look unique, and install a plugin to manage their reader. Maybe they could even bundle a slightly adapted Calibre. It would be a nice feature to get the program to people that don't know it already.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #694
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 4,540
Karma: 264065402
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan
Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I find it stupid to the max that ereader manufacturers seem to mostly ignore Calibre. They could provide an installer that would give Calibre a new skin so it would look unique, and install a plugin to manage their reader. Maybe they could even bundle a slightly adapted Calibre. It would be a nice feature to get the program to people that don't know it already.
You are missing the point --- Kobo is not an ereader manufacturer. They (like Amazon) are an ebook store that sells ereaders at cost to promote their store. For them Calibre is a way people get non-Kobo reading materials on the reader. That obviously is not something they want to promote.

Remember, the days of the $400.- Kindle 1 are over.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #695
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ken Maltby's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,460
Karma: 3757881
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Heart of Texas
Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
It looks like I got one with a flaky MiniSD port.

The way the ebooks are presented on the screen is fantastic, but the file management
is a disaster. I really don't like that it won't operate without connecting to Kobo, when
you reset.

They should pay Kovid some real money, because this would be worthless without calibre.
Unless you want to manage all your ebooks in the Kobo ecosystem. Is this how it is for
Sony and Kindle users?

It looks like this is going to be my .epub only eReader. I'll be keeping my JBL for
everything else (except .pdfs which I read on my 10.1" Tablet).

The Aura HD will get a lot of use, for sure but it is too bad that it is so limited.

The 10,000 files will remain on my computer and on my JBL, but I'll keep a current
selection of around 40 or so run through calibre and on to the Aura.

Luck;
Ken

PS; On the shipping invoice it's Brown. For me it takes a lot of light before it doesn't
look Black.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-30-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #696
Thrasher
Zealot
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 142
Karma: 1003934
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Device: Nook Wifi
The Canadian Chapters online store shows 3-5 weeks delivery for the Espresso Aura. Futureshop is sold out of the Aura and Bestbuy only has 2 in stock of the Ivory version.
Interesting, I wonder how limited the Aura really is and if the launch was really that successful or they are just slowly releasing stock...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #697
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
samhy's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,546
Karma: 5656781
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: France
Device: Sony (J) PRS 650, Kobo Mini and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Sounds like we are on the same wavelength, what else did you do to get
ebooks into the device? Straight from calibre? Can you just put epubs in
a folder on the device?

Luck;
Ken
Drag and drop should work just fine
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #698
MikeB1972
Evangelist
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 489
Karma: 2099219
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It looks like I got one with a flaky MiniSD port.

The way the ebooks are presented on the screen is fantastic, but the file management
is a disaster. I really don't like that it won't operate without connecting to Kobo, when
you reset.

They should pay Kovid some real money, because this would be worthless without calibre. Unless you want to manage all your ebooks in the Kobo ecosystem. Is this how
it is for Sony and Kindle users?

It looks like this is going to be my .epub only eReader. I'll be keeping my JBL for everything else (except .pdfs which I read on my 10.1" Tablet).

The Aura HD will get a lot of use, for sure but it is too bad that it is so limited.

The 10,000 files will remain on my computer and on my JBL, but I'll keep a current
selection of around 40 or so run through calibre and on to the Aura.

Luck;
Ken

PS; On the shipping invoice it's Brown. For me it takes a lot of light before it doesn't
look Black.
Hi Ken

I use the same method for my Kobo, keep about 50 books on an SD and switch SD when I want a new selection.

The books can be anywhere on the SD by the way, I don't use calibre to transfer books, just add them to the root of an SD and plug it in.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #699
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
taming's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,005
Karma: 9455193
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mostly in Canada
Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It looks like I got one with a flaky MiniSD port.
Ken, the MiniSD port is picky when seating cards. You can hear a click when the card seats. I moved my sd card from the glo to the aura and initially I got a message telling me to reformat my card. T I realized it was just that the card had not seated, tried again, and all was good.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #700
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jedipencil's Avatar
 
Posts: 33
Karma: 550000
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Province of Quebec
Device: Sony
I got my new Aura yesterday, and I LOVE it. The screenlighting was one of the main reasons I got it, I read in dim light, and discovered - while reading on my phone - how great it is to have an option to light the "page". I was hoping to be able to install a Kindle and Comixology app on it, but it seems that can't happen. A bit disappointing, but I love my Kobo anyway.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #701
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ken Maltby's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,460
Karma: 3757881
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Heart of Texas
Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
I have a bunch of MicroSD HC 8GB cards on their way from Newegg, perhaps they
will prove out better than the few I had on hand. Even when I had one card kinda
working the Aura kept hanging while "processing" the card. Also, when the Aura was
plugged into my computer, only the "Main" memory was detected by the OS and calibre.
Hopefully, the new cards will work a little better. I've been spoiled with my jetBook Lite
these last few years. If I can get it so I can do as "MikeB1972" is doing, all the file
management will take place on my PC, making things much better.

One of the things I want to try when I get the new cards, is to try moving/copying
the folders calibre places in the main memory onto the MicroSD card. This may be
necessary since the plugin is supposed to only come into play when using the "Send
to Device" function.

I am truly impressed with the display and its light (not that I expect to need the light
that much, the unlighted screen is functioning very well in relatively low light).

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #702
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Katsunami's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,958
Karma: 14042679
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipencil View Post
I was hoping to be able to install a Kindle and Comixology app on it, but it seems that can't happen. A bit disappointing, but I love my Kobo anyway.
Why would you even think that this was possible?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #703
MikeB1972
Evangelist
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 489
Karma: 2099219
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I have a bunch of MicroSD HC 8GB cards on their way from Newegg, perhaps they
will prove out better than the few I had on hand. Even when I had one card kinda
working the Aura kept hanging while "processing" the card. Also, when the Aura was
plugged into my computer, only the "Main" memory was detected by the OS and calibre.
Hopefully, the new cards will work a little better. I've been spoiled with my jetBook Lite
these last few years. If I can get it so I can do as "MikeB1972" is doing, all the file
management will take place on my PC, making things much better.

One of the things I want to try when I get the new cards, is to try moving/copying
the folders calibre places in the main memory onto the MicroSD card. This may be
necessary since the plugin is supposed to only come into play when using the "Send
to Device" function.

I am truly impressed with the display and its light (not that I expect to need the light
that much, the unlighted screen is functioning very well in relatively low light).

Luck;
Ken
If it helps Ken I'm using SanDisk 4GB cards for the Kobo Glo (SanDisk seems to be the only make which always work in everything I own).

I never expected to use the light much either, but then my other half made me install mood lighting in the front room and I use it quite a lot now
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #704
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
93terp's Avatar
 
Posts: 392
Karma: 1007178
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Margaritaville
Device: Kobo Aura HD, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I really don't like that it won't operate without connecting to Kobo, when you reset.
Ken,

There is a way around this, as I set up my Aura HD without connecting to Kobo (WiFi and/or Kobo Desktop). I can't put my fingers on the exact MR forum with the instructions, but it involves changing some code in the SQL database file that resides on the Aura. I'm only a little tech savvy, and it was super easy to do, and went flawlessly.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #705
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ken Maltby's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,460
Karma: 3757881
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Heart of Texas
Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Ken,

There is a way around this, as I set up my Aura HD without connecting to Kobo (WiFi and/or Kobo Desktop). I can't put my fingers on the exact MR forum with the instructions, but it involves changing some code in the SQL database file that resides on the Aura. I'm only a little tech savvy, and it was super easy to do, and went flawlessly.
Great I'll search through the Kobo Forum, Thanks!

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aura HD Kobo Aura HD PeterT Kobo Reader 937 07-29-2013 06:02 PM
Soribook: First eReader eInk device now in beta testing! Nate the great News 13 04-27-2013 08:28 AM
Best eInk ereader for PDFs? or How do I cope with PDFs on the Kobo Touch? GvilleBridge Kobo Reader 8 01-19-2012 07:22 AM
Sell Irex DR1000S (10" eink ereader) Aegis Flea Market 10 03-14-2011 05:27 PM
Total eReader sales from eInk's revenue data? sforce News 6 10-01-2009 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.