Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
k9reeder
Enthusiast
k9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheese

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Sony PRS-350, iPod Touch, Surface Pro 3
Independent newspaper UK - now too big download?!

Hi,

I've been using for the last few months without problem the recipe to get The Independent newspaper (English UK) -- successfully downloading and converting to epub daily.

On average it takes me about 10-15 minutes and the file size is usually around 5 to 10 mb. But...

Just yesterday and today, the downloading of the feed and compilation of the epub takes upwards 3 hours! - something definitely wrong, and the file size is so big, 170 mb! that I can't even open the epub file to see what's in there.

Can anyone confirm that it's the Independent's website that's causing the problem recently, and not the recipe, or could it be something I'm suddenly doing wrong? (I don't know anything about coding recipes, btw)

(I'm using Calibre 0.9.23, reverted back to it as a test, but latest version seems to have the same problem, so likely not a calibre version problem.)
Thanks!

Last edited by k9reeder; 04-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That website must have started serving high resolution images. The recipe probably needs to be modified to rescale those images to smaller sizes or just not download them in the first place.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
k9reeder
Enthusiast
k9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheesek9reeder can extract oil from cheese

Thank you for the response. I'll look into that and see what I can figure out.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
k9reeder
Enthusiast

For some reason the recipe now seems to be working again -- maybe the paper is fiddling with their newfeed or something? Anyway, thanks again.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's because I modified the recipe to compress the high res images.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote