Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW; android; PC
Lost customizations?

When I opened Calibre (from my USB) today, my toolbar had defaulted back to the original, and Calibre couldn't see my multiple libraries.

I'm not sure what happened, and know how to update the toolbars and add my libraries back manually, but I'm hopeful that there's a way to recover this without the manual work... I'm assuming there's a problem with a file, but don't know Calibre well enough to figure out the issue.

And, any idea what happened?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
calail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
calail,

It sounds like calibre isn't pointing to the correct location of your libraries. In calibre, click on the "Books" icon, then click on "Switch/create library".

The box that opens should say: "Your calibre library is currently located at ..."
The specific location might depend on your operating system. In Windows Vista, it says "... located at C:\Users\Owner\calibre Library". If you've customized things, it might say "C:\Users\customized-name\calibre Library".

Use Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent) to confirm where your calibre libraries are actually located. Then type the actual location on the "New Location" line and select "Use the previously existing library at the new location".

If calibre has "lost" several libraries, do the above for each library location.

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
calail
Enthusiast
calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!calail is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
calail,

It sounds like calibre isn't pointing to the correct location of your libraries. In calibre, click on the "Books" icon, then click on "Switch/create library".

The box that opens should say: "Your calibre library is currently located at ..."
The specific location might depend on your operating system. In Windows Vista, it says "... located at C:\Users\Owner\calibre Library". If you've customized things, it might say "C:\Users\customized-name\calibre Library".

Use Windows Explorer (or the Mac equivalent) to confirm where your calibre libraries are actually located. Then type the actual location on the "New Location" line and select "Use the previously existing library at the new location".

If calibre has "lost" several libraries, do the above for each library location.

Marty
Thanks for your reply Marty. I'm able to "repoint" to my libraries. I'm just a bit confused as to why I lost my custom toolbars as well; assumed it was a corrupted file I could just fix...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi calail,

The calibre library has 2 files that contain the database and custom column information:

metadata.db
metadata_db_prefs_backup.json

When you point calibre in the right direction, all your books and custom columns should re-appear. I'm not sure if custom toolbars are also saved in the 2 files.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
toolbars are saved in gui.json, in your calibre config folder at %APPDATA%/calibre.

for instance, quoted from gui.json,
Code:
  "action-layout-toolbar": [
    "Add Books", 
    "Edit Metadata", 
    null, 
    "Convert Books", 
    "View", 
    null, 
    "Choose Library", 
    "Save To Disk", 
    "Connect Share", 
    null, 
    "Preferences", 
    null, 
    "Overdrive Link"
  ],

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-23-2013 at 03:33 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
toolbars are saved in gui.json, in your calibre config folder at %APPDATA%/calibre.
On my Vista PC, the config folder is here:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\calibre

The folder contains several PY and JSON files that are updated when I run calibre. I backed-up the folder to another location "just in case ..."

Thank you for the good info,

Marty
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
calail
Enthusiast

Thanks for the great info! I think I can just copy the gui file from my backup, to my jump drive (I'm running Calibre portable) to recover my toolbars then. I realize that I lost my setup for file conversions and other minor things as well.... so, not sure what I did but I'm going to try not to do it again LOL

maybe I pulled the jumpdrive too soon?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Use Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory

Best practice is to not pull jump drives (or any other external drive) without first ejecting / removing / unmounting them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by calail View Post
Thanks for the great info! I think I can just copy the gui file from my backup, to my jump drive (I'm running Calibre portable) to recover my toolbars then. I realize that I lost my setup for file conversions and other minor things as well.... so, not sure what I did but I'm going to try not to do it again LOL

maybe I pulled the jumpdrive too soon?
When you Quit Calibre, it saves the last state. USB (jump) drives can take quite a while to catch up. Follow BR's advice
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Glad I could help!!

Seems it paid off, all my time spent examining the calibre config folder when I was REALLY bored. I discovered a lot of interesting stuff.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote