Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
crashnburn
Connoisseur
crashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 11990
Join Date: Jul 2009
Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Exclamation iBooks iTunes Sync Issue need to save Highlights/ Annotations ?

iBooks iTunes Sync Issue need to save Highlights/ Annotations ?

I just checked (enabled) the Sync Books in iTunes. I get this message.

iTunes Sync Message:
Quote:
Are you sure you want to sync books? All existing songs, movies and TV shows on the iPad 1 will be removed.
Now, I do not have any movies and songs on this iPad as yet.

I do have a bunch of my own non DRM - Epub and PDF books on it. I can't remember how I added the books to it.

Maybe it was via iTunes sync with a different Apple ID etc.

I do have the same Books also present in the iBooks library.

Now what I want to REALLY REALLY save the HIGHLIGHTs I've made on some books. I dont want to lose them in this Sync related WIPE OUT.

I dont' mind even going into the Jailbroken iPad and the hidden iBooks folders with iFunbox/ iExplorer and manuall backing up certain Files/ Folders.

I am just not sure how and where the Highlights are kept on the iOS File System. I have run across some iBooks/ Library folders but do not know for sure where and how the RIGHT STUFF is backed up.

Maybe after a synch I could put back some of the highlight/ annorate files?

Thoughts?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,223
Karma: 2754342
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Device: iPad mini Ret & 3 & 1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Thumbs up

Crashnburn, I have no direct solution for your concern, but some excellent advice for you:

Just stay away from iBooks if you're serious about reading e-books or PDF files. iBooks is simply mediocre software for reading EPUB books, and mediocre software for reading and especially annotating PDF files. In fact, I find iBooks not just mediocre, but unusable for me (for serious use).

Do yourself a favour and invest a few bucks to buy the best PDF app for iOS, which is GoodReader. It's superb especially for annotation purposes.

I also like and use PDF Expert -- it looks much nicer and more polished than GoodReader, seems faster, and offers a true Night Mode. However, the iPhone version of PDF Expert is completely inferior, which is the main thing that prevents me from switching from GoodReader to PDF Expert, because just like you, I need reliable syncing and backup of annotations, which is exactly what GoodReader does so well.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
crashnburn
Connoisseur
crashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 11990
Join Date: Jul 2009
Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Crashnburn, I have no direct solution for your concern, but some excellent advice for you:

Just stay away from iBooks if you're serious about reading e-books or PDF files. iBooks is simply mediocre software for reading EPUB books, and mediocre software for reading and especially annotating PDF files. In fact, I find iBooks not just mediocre, but unusable for me (for serious use).

Do yourself a favour and invest a few bucks to buy the best PDF app for iOS, which is GoodReader. It's superb especially for annotation purposes.

I also like and use PDF Expert -- it looks much nicer and more polished than GoodReader, seems faster, and offers a true Night Mode. However, the iPhone version of PDF Expert is completely inferior, which is the main thing that prevents me from switching from GoodReader to PDF Expert, because just like you, I need reliable syncing and backup of annotations, which is exactly what GoodReader does so well.
- Will be using Marvin in the future for ePubs as discussed on that thread and

- Am already using GoodReader + SugarSync [2-way Sync] (not yet tried highlighting with it).

- Have PDF Expert - Will try it out - Apparently it wont do 2-way sync with SugarSync - Damn!

I do not really use my iPhone for any reading so far.

I just want to be able to SYNC - SAVE - BACKUP - Highlights from:

--GoodReader (PDF) to my Laptop (via SugarSync) i.e. If/ when I need it.

--Marvin (ePub) - when needed.

I am wondering why GoodReader will support 2 way sync with SugarSync (found out Google Drive wont do 2-way on GR) and with PDF Expert not possible.

Also, is there a solution that supports LOCAL NETWORK SYNC (between devices on same LAN) that you've tried?

- Only DropBox supports Local Sync (Faster over LAN as compared to thin pipe to the cloud) as compared to other cloud-drive apps.

- Windows Live Mesh (from what I read/ hear was great for lot of people) (Being decommissioned by Microsoft)

- Aero FS / Cubby ?
.. Aero FS needs an INVITE to register. Anyone got one?
.. Will try out Cubby sometime.

.. Any WebDAV Solutions.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,223
Karma: 2754342
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Device: iPad mini Ret & 3 & 1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
- Am already using GoodReader + SugarSync [2-way Sync] (not yet tried highlighting with it).
I don't recommend that! iCloud syncing in GoodReader works much better and faster than either Dropbox or SugarSync in my experience, crashnburn.

Just put all of your books in GoodReader into the iCloud folder, and I think you might be amazed by how fast and smooth the syncing (including syncing of annotations) will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
- Have PDF Expert - Will try it out - Apparently it wont do 2-way sync with SugarSync - Damn!
PDF Expert just looks better than GoodReader's cluttered interface -- but in terms of functionality, GoodReader is the clear winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
I do not really use my iPhone for any reading so far.
I use the iPhone for reading minimally as well -- however, it's very nice to know that whatever annotation I make in GoodReader on the iPhone, will automatically (thanks to iCloud syncing) show up on both of my iPads, the next time I launch GoodReader on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
I just want to be able to SYNC - SAVE - BACKUP - Highlights from:

--GoodReader (PDF) to my Laptop (via SugarSync) i.e. If/ when I need it.
There are several ways of exporting annotations from GoodReader, if you feel you need that additional backup (in addition to iCloud).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
--Marvin (ePub) - when needed.
Backing up (and restoring!) annotations from Marvin via email works like a charm -- it's one of Marvin's strongest features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Also, is there a solution that supports LOCAL NETWORK SYNC (between devices on same LAN) that you've tried?
I don't know, but I'm not really interested in LAN syncing -- because iCloud, Dropbox and SugarSync all work so fast for me over the Internet that the difference to LAN syncing, to me (when it comes to books, not HD movies!), would be negligible.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
crashnburn
Connoisseur
crashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 11990
Join Date: Jul 2009
Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Is there a certain iPad Stylus you use/ recommend (please not expensive) for Highlights/ Annotates? Or just your fingers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I don't recommend that! iCloud syncing in GoodReader works much better and faster than either Dropbox or SugarSync in my experience, crashnburn.

Just put all of your books in GoodReader into the iCloud folder, and I think you might be amazed by how fast and smooth the syncing (including syncing of annotations) will be.
Would that allow me to Sync with my Windows 7 laptop?

My SYNC and Information workflow has 2 main components -
- Laptop - Download, Organize Books, Write - Documents etc.
- iPad
- Read, Highlight, Annotate > Be able to copy/ move these annotations to the Laptop, somehow.
- Preferably they are visible AS IS from iPad to Windows / Desktop Program.


Quote:
PDF Expert just looks better than GoodReader's cluttered interface -- but in terms of functionality, GoodReader is the clear winner.
Good point to know. Thanks.

Quote:
I use the iPhone for reading minimally as well -- however, it's very nice to know that whatever annotation I make in GoodReader on the iPhone, will automatically (thanks to iCloud syncing) show up on both of my iPads, the next time I launch GoodReader on them.
Good to know that your part of Europe has Flawless Internet Access

Quote:
There are several ways of exporting annotations from GoodReader, if you feel you need that additional backup (in addition to iCloud).
Please elaborate on that those ways/ means of exporting as I need to take them out of the "Good Reader" Sandbox.

The reason why I highlight and annotate is so that I can use parts on my laptop when I need/ want them. Especially to refer to them, when writing documents based on the book/ whitepaper.

Key question? - Does Good Reader..
- Store Annotations/ Highlights as an Independent Layer/ File or
- MERGES them into the Original File
(Or allows both).


Quote:
Backing up (and restoring!) annotations from Marvin via email works like a charm -- it's one of Marvin's strongest features.
I will have to check this out.

Last edited by crashnburn; 03-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
crashnburn
Connoisseur
crashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 11990
Join Date: Jul 2009
Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
ALSO is there anyway for me to save/ backup and restore my Highlights already present in my iBooks.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,223
Karma: 2754342
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Device: iPad mini Ret & 3 & 1, iPhone 5S, LG 8.3 & G2, Kobo Mini, Kindle DX&3
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
ALSO is there any way for me to save/ backup and restore my Highlights already present in my iBooks.
Don't know because as soon as I saw iBooks for the first time, it was obvious to me this wasn't a serious app for reading either EPUBs or PDFs, so I threw it away. The best for you, I'd say, would be to cut your losses asap and ditch iBooks for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Is there a certain iPad Stylus you use/ recommend (please not expensive) for Highlights/ Annotates? Or just your fingers?
Nope, no stylus here. Steve Jobs was correct in saying that people have 10 styluses on their own hands, so why should we need an artificial one? Making highlights and annotations with fingers works perfectly both in Marvin for EPUBs, and in GoodReader for PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Would that allow me to Sync with my Windows 7 laptop?
Of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
- iPad
- Read, Highlight, Annotate > Be able to copy/ move these annotations to the Laptop, somehow.
Yes, very easy to do from both Marvin and GoodReader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
- Preferably they are visible AS IS from iPad to Windows / Desktop Program.
Yes, definitely, GoodReader allows you to do that with a single tap of your finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Key question? - Does Good Reader..
- Store Annotations/ Highlights as an Independent Layer/ File or
- MERGES them into the Original File
(Or allows both).
Yes, GoodReader gives you both of those options, and adds a third (email summary of annotations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
I will have to check this out.
Definitely! You can't miss with GoodReader -- it's the premier PDF app on iOS, so you can just go ahead and buy it. I think its AppStore reviews speak for themselves.

GoodReader has what some perceive as an inelegant or cluttered interface, but other than that, it's fabulous. Please note that the entire interface of GoodReader completely disappears as soon as you open a PDF file -- which is, in fact, one of its nicest features. You really feel as if you were holding the original book or sheet of paper in your hands -- GoodReader gets out of the way and lets you focus on the PDF file only.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
crashnburn
Connoisseur
crashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to beholdcrashnburn is a marvel to behold
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 11990
Join Date: Jul 2009
Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Thanks for your response. I will try all this out and post my experiences/ feedback.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Synchronize annotations, notes, highlights across devices Movendi Android Devices 2 01-13-2013 09:14 AM
Sideloading + Annotations and Highlights Workflows? jddunn Kindle Fire 5 12-13-2012 03:59 AM
DRM and popular-highlights/annotations granturissimus Amazon Kindle 2 11-04-2011 06:06 AM
Sideloading Annotations and Highlights professorbeej Amazon Kindle 2 08-17-2011 04:27 AM
PRS-600 Restore deleted annotations and highlights facruz Sony Reader 0 01-29-2011 11:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.