Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Tablet
Game of Souls by Terry Simpson

I rarely review or praise an ebook as few ebooks are worth the effort, but Game of Souls by Terry Simpson is outstanding.

It is the first book I've read in many months that deserves 5+ stars. The characters are interesting and well-formed and the plot does not drag. Fantasy novels are difficult to do well so that they keep a reader's interest and make the reader sorry that the next volumes aren't immediately available, but Simpson has done it with Game of Souls. Unlike so many indie-authored and self-published ebooks, Game of Souls is nearly error free (I spotted only 3 in the first two-thirds of the book), which means that the reader is not distracted from the engaging story and characters.

I obtained the book yesterday, started reading it, and nearly finished it in one sitting. I highly recommend it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always interested in hearing about good fantasy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're saying the author is successful at "making the reader sorry the next volumes aren't immediately available," you've just done me a huge favor. I'll need to wait until they are immediately available in that case.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey - I just got a sample of that for my review site. That good eh?

I've only read the opening chapter but I thought it seemed pretty interesting. Nice to see an endorsement here though.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Hey - I just got a sample of that for my review site. That good eh?

I've only read the opening chapter but I thought it seemed pretty interesting. Nice to see an endorsement here though.
I finished the book last night and found a few more errors, all of them minor. I think altogether there are 6 or 7 minor errors in the book. But the writing is excellent.

I have written the author and asked him to add me to his email notification list for when the next volume comes out. I don't do that with many authors.

Last edited by rhadin; 06-13-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: changed her to him to reflect correct gender of author
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure you already know this, but the author has written three other books.

Etchings of Power

Ashes & Blood

The Shadowbearer

None are from the same series though.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Post deleted....
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
Thanks for the endorsement and the review. I'm blushing. The Shadowbearer, Etchings of Power, and Ashes and Blood are in the Aegis of the Gods series. Etchings is Book 1, The Shadowbearer is the prequel, a stand alone which focuses on one of the characters from Etchings, laying out much of what would come. Ashes and Blood is Book 2 in that series. While Game of Souls IS a different series, they're all set in the same universe, and have some intersecting points/characters.

Currently, I'm writing Aegis of the Gods book 3 before I tackle the followup to Game of Souls.

Again, I'm happy to see my book recommended and to see my goal of pleasing my readers seems to be coming to fruition.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Richard - finally read this and I did think it was good. I don't think it quite had the wow factor for me as it did for you, but it was a good effort. I will look out for the sequel.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Caleb, different tastes in books is what keeps the book industry alive. It is possible that my view of the book as being "wow" is colored by how poor so many other indie-authored ebooks are and when I finally do read one that is "excellent" I see it as a "wow".
Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate

You're not wrong Richard. I've become less enamoured by epic fantasies over time. I've never been an afficionado, but I know that it's now more difficult for a fantasy book to appeal to me these days. It's one of the reasons I've embraced sub-genres like "new weird" and "steampunk".

So it's possible that I was reading this somehow expecting it to impress me by being different which is possibly an unfair expectation.

Did you like the magic system? While I was reading it felt like different aspects were being invented as it suited the story rather than being completely planned, but then when I read the section on soul magic at the back of the book I realised that a bit of thought had been put into this. It added to my appreciation of the story once it was clear that the author really did have a structure in mind and tried to remain true to that structure.

One thing that wasn't completely successful with me was the intrigue of the novel. It was a bit opaque in some parts with me not really following the machinations well enough to gain satisfaction when all the parts came together towards the end. And I felt that there were some time/location shifts which left me with a bit of a "huh?!" reaction. How a major player in a game of intrigue can suddenly traverse the continent and be present during a military strike and return without anyone else being the wiser was baffling to me. And there were times when the very nature of the magic system seemed to work against the story creating gaps in logic.

But although it wasn't "wow" for me, it certainly wasn't bad and I'm interested to see where the author takes it.

In the meantime, feel free to continue posting recommendations to indie works when applicable as I always assume that your recommendation will at least mean the story was of publishable quality and that's a pretty good filter.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
Just saw this, and glad you liked it, Caleb.
I'll answer a few of your questions, if you don't mind, without giving spoilers. The time shifts could have been handled differently, maybe a little slower, but I wanted to stick to the meat of the story and keep the pace fast. My one regret there is that a slower pace might have helped with the way a certain main noble changed.
And the key player, think about his trip to the King after the strike, when he states he's been somewhere else completely, and gained an advantage for the King in the coming war, that includes some magical and military help. Also the King was off, mustering forces at the time. As for how he/they managed the trip. That's secret squirrel stuff. :P Nah, it's hinted at a tiny bit. Very tiny that it could be missed. However, it's plays a big role in the magic and the plot, and is revealed more in the next one. Funny thing is, this very question on the travel is what starts the next book in the series.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote