|02-27-2013, 12:13 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: kindle touch
It looks like the standard method is to overwrite the Italian keyboard, but this is not necessary.
1) I found a Russian keyboard layout "it-600x800.keymap" and "it-800x600.keymap" somewhere in here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22586. I can't read Russian, but google can. Sort of. I think the credit goes to eureka? Sorry if I'm off on that one.
2) Copy the contents of /usr/share/keyboard somewhere, and make a directory "ru" inside it. Put the keymaps above inside, gzip them, and change the "it" in the filename to "ru".
3) Copy utils.so from keyboard/it/ into your Russian directory "ru". Open the file in the editor of your choice that won't wreck binary files. Change the string "kb-it" to "kb-ru", and the string "Italian" to "Russian". (Note that strlen("Italian") == strlen("Russian")).
4) rebuild keyboard.cramfs.img and copy it over the existing one in /usr/share.
5) I had to reboot - no idea how many services have to be restarted to let umount do it's thing.
Now I have a Russian keyboard, and still have an Italian keyboard. It even showed up in the keyboard picker without any more fiddling.
OK--- I sure hope that's what I did. Most of my hacking is done in rushed 5 minute increments or it doesn't happen at all :-(.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Alternate Keyboards?||pwright2||Kindle Fire||3||02-21-2013 12:43 PM|
|Changing Keyboards on the fly (rooted)||slm||Nook Color & Nook Tablet||0||05-14-2011 11:02 AM|
|Flexible Keyboards...||Michealj||enTourage Archive||14||04-22-2011 06:03 PM|
|Android Alternative virtual keyboards (and languages)||devseev||enTourage Archive||6||07-27-2010 07:17 AM|
|KEYBOARDS FOR EBOOK READERS||judahis||Which one should I buy?||8||01-31-2010 05:42 AM|