Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
reuptake
reuptake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Angry Cannot connect to WiFi, cannot reset... debricking needed?

Hey,

this is my first post in this forum. I hope someone would be able to help me.

Today I found out that my Kindle 4 (sofware 4.1.1, no jailbraking) can't connect to WiFi: displaying than no network is available (there are many around). "View" option near "WiFi" when clicked doesn't react. I tried to restart it in many ways (20 sec, 60 sec pressing the button) - nothing help. I resorted to reseting it to factory defaults but to my suprise it doesn't work either: popup with warning that files will be erased is displayed, but clicking OK doesn't do anything. Then I recollected that the device has been recently unstable: it restarted with no apparent reason while being used.

I've contacted Amazon, they told me it's broken out of warranty, so I should buy a new one. As you can imagine I'm not happy.

Any solutions?
reuptake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Give it a shot and reinstall it. (Also select "Wipe internal data partition" near the end of the procedure).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
reuptake

Thanks for the answer. Do I understand correctly that standard PC is required for this method? I have only Macs around...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuptake View Post
Thanks for the answer. Do I understand correctly that standard PC is required for this method? I have only Macs around...
In principle, yes. It *should* be working with the CD or DVD on a Mac with Boot Camp, though. (Not tested)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuptake View Post
Then I recollected that the device has been recently unstable: it restarted with no apparent reason while being used.
This is going to happen on occasion. Unless it is occurring frequently, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the wi-fi, it stinks that it isn't working, but the device is certainly useable without it. I rarely use the wi-fi, preferring to download my books from Amazon into Calibre, and transferring via USB.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
reuptake

Success!

So if anyone has same problem: debricking does the trick BUT please do full reset, wipe settings too!

Thanks for all help.