Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
KazAugustin
KazAugustin began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko on Archos70, Kobo Glo
> But the Linux desktop is very very old....

Yeah, well, we Linuxers have to pick up software wherever we can find it , especially if it's proprietary or part-proprietary. As I said, I tried the (newer) Ubuntu recode, but got caught in SSL Dependency Hell trying to convert from .deb to .rpm.

As for the SD card:

Not so fast, Grasshopper!

After I copied one file, as a test, and it worked, I decided to copy over my other files. Didn't work. Did a full erasure SD format of the card and tried again. Still no dice. Glo refused to pick it up.

In the end, what worked was copying over all of my ebooks to my Evil Empire lappy, doing ANOTHER full (overwrite, this time) SD format and copying the EPUB files from my lappy to the card. Everything seems to be across fine this time but I suggest that anyone in this bind organise their ebooks very carefully so no work is duplicated in future transfers.

Kaz!

Last edited by KazAugustin; 02-19-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Answer to Peter; must have posted at the same time
KazAugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
ColumPaget
ColumPaget began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi all,

like Kaz I'm another linux devotee, and I had similar problems, but I think I might have found the solution.

My kobo glo wouldn't see my 2GB sansdisk micro sd card, but other things would. I noticed that the card is formated without partitions, so instead of having partitions like a normal disk, the whole device is treated as a partition with a filesystem on it (hence, it appears under linux as '/dev/sdb' instead of '/dev/sdb1'. '/dev/sdb1' would mean 'first partition on device sdb'). So, I used fdisk to create a partition, and then made a vfat file system on the resulting partition (/dev/sda1). Plugged it into the kobo, and rebooted the kobo.

And it works!

Colum
ColumPaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
camelriders
camelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I had the same problem with 32gb microSD card.

It worked once on the Kobo H20 and then never again. I kept getting errors to reformat the card in FAT32. I formated it in Linux in FAT32 and still had problems. I formated it on winbloz7 in FAT32 and still had the problem. I partitioned the card into two 16gb patritions and still had the problem. I had another microSD card that was formated as FAT16 and I had no issues using that card.

In the end, I formated the card on Linux as FAT32 but then I decided to use cfdisk to set the partition type as FAT16, since my FAT16 card was working fine I figured I would try changing the file system type. I used type 04 = FAT16 <32m and 06 = FAT16. Either worked fine and presently I am using 04. When I tried EF = (EFI (FAT-12/16/32) it worked sometimes but I would usually get the kobo message that would say to reformat the card in FAT32.

So, for whatever reason, the kobo does better with FAT16 than a FAT32 file system, regardless of what they say.
camelriders is offline   Reply With Quote