Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
ubuntuser
ubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 3
Need some /mnt/us files (launchpad)

Hey! I've done something horrible.
I wanted to erase /mnt/us/records in kindle's terminal.
I put rm -R /mnt/us/ records (the one useless space caused erasing the whole user store).
And now I dont have the launchpad folder.
I cant install it from bin file because updating system is spoiled on my device - i cant install/uninstall anything (any amazon update, or uninstall linkjail from correct package). -- U007 error.
Can somebody upload few folders (Im not sure what is nessesary to make launchpad work); (im sure that linkjail, usbnet, launchpad, myts are missing but what else - dunno) from Kindle usb root directory?
I have 3.3 firmware.
Please, help me. I'd be very graceful!!
ubuntuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You destroyed things used by the system also.

I would suggest that you just "trick" the system into rebuilding it for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuser View Post
Hey! I've done something horrible.
I wanted to erase /mnt/us/records in kindle's terminal.
I put rm -R /mnt/us/ records (the one useless space caused erasing the whole user store).
Ouch. Next time be really careful when picking up that loaded gun without safety called rm -r. Avoid deleting sub-directories with it, use tab-completion to avoid misspelling, use find and/or ls -la first to see what you are about to delete. So in your case that should have been:

Code:
cd /mnt/us
pwd
ls -la
ls -la records
find records
rm -r records
Yade, yade. You think that is paranoid? Not really, look what happened to you.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
ubuntuser
ubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenubuntuser has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

@knc1
Quote:
I would suggest that you just "trick" the system into rebuilding it for you.
ok, how?
As I told, I cant install any updates - ANY updater crashes with U007 error. The first crash was about a month ago, when I tried to install linkss. It was installed correctly, but didnt work. So i tried to uninstall it. With failure. Now, any update package (like one to uninstall usbnetworking or linkjail which i had installed) returns the error of U007. Even these from Amazon.
I can ssh through usb to my device.

Please, upload these few folders for me (launchpad and other hacking stuff(linkjail, usbnet), maybe it will work. Or tell me what to do to install updates. I thought I dont have linkjail, so I cant install updates, but I cant even install linkjail, or firmware updates from Amazon.

And about reseting to defaults. Im afraid that I can lost an ability to ssh into device, which can be helpful. If updates after factory reset still dont work, I wont have a possibility to browse filesystem and manually do something.

Last edited by ubuntuser; 02-09-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@knc1

ok, how?

I can ssh through usb to my device.
- - - -
Please, upload these few folders for me (launchpad and other hacking stuff(linkjail, usbnet), maybe it will work. Or tell me what to do to install updates.
- - - -
I'm afraid that I can lost an ability to ssh into device, which can be helpful.
Can you, or can you not ssh into the device?

What else have you done?

Without a complete and accurate description of the device state, I think the only safe thing to recommend is our "de-bricking" sticky.

Re-install the factory firmware, then be more careful of what you do in the future.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
ubuntuser

Yes, I can ssh.
However, is it really nessesary to follow the "de-bricking" guide?
Now I need launchpad and myts only to be happy. Having no possibility to install updates is ok for me now, maybe I'll play with it later.
If i deleted only files in the /mnt/us directory, dont i need these files only? So why not to take them from another Kindle3 device?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
ubuntuser

O, something went forward. Moving uks.disabled to uks allowed me to uninstall jailbreak.
I thought before that renaming uks is to prevent auto-updates. Ill post later with results. Maybe its to early to cheer

OK everything is all right. For people getting U007 Update was not sucessful error: check if you have /etc/uks , not /etc/uks.disabled .

Thanks knc1 and DuckieTigger for posts. I'll be more careful next time.

Last edited by ubuntuser; 02-09-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
OK everything is all right. For people getting U007 Update was not sucessful error: check if you have /etc/uks , not /etc/uks.disabled .

Thanks knc1 and DuckieTigger for posts. I'll be more careful next time.
From your posts, you **HAD** to have done more than you claimed to the device.

You do know that there are two updaters? Correct?
And that your change to the system files only controls one of them.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
for the record I accidentally deleted half of one of my scripts last night in a much similar fashion...

(I rewrote it as it goes)

rm -rf anything is DANGEROUS

But your not alone ubuntuser we all do goofs
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
ubuntuser

knc1
Yes, I know there are two updaters. First one, auto-updater (uks) and the second, manual, which should be working.
Hovever, un-ability to install/uninstall update packages (bin) was connected with uks. Or maybe I dont understand something?

Quote:
From your posts, you **HAD** to have done more than you claimed to the device.
1. Long time ago I probably changed name (maybe not manually, but by some hack) uks to uks.disabled . And couldnt install packages since that moment.
2. I removed /mnt/us contents
3. I was afraid, because I didnt had launchpad and myts (which I use a lot), and couldnt install it. I knew that i couldnt install/uninstall anything.
Now the solution:
1. Rename uks.disabled to uks
2. Uninstall JB, UN, LP
3. Install them again.
Everything is now working correctly.