Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #1651
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
CORRECT!! Say the secret woid' and divide $100 (in monopoly money)!

Wow, that's an old post! Are you reading the enire thread?

WELCOME!

Why not read the thread? It is good entertainment between Harry books. I still need to catch up on page 26-80 - I skipped that part. But only after I finished Cold Days will I try to catch up
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1652
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Why not read the thread? It is good entertainment between Harry books. I still need to catch up on page 26-80 - I skipped that part. But only after I finished Cold Days will I try to catch up
I've read the entire thread and I swear I can't remember half of it. That's probably why I have no difficulty re-reading books, I can never remember everything in them
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #1653
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Fire 2nd Gen
Cool didn't say

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The OP didn't say she'd not read, or was not planning to read the entire thread. I just asked her if she had, or if that was her ultimate intent.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #1654
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool INTERVIEW WITH JIM BUTCHER

Quoted from Subterranean Death Cult

Quote:
INTERVIEW WITH JIM BUTCHER

Posted on November 28, 2012 by Adam vanLangenberg

WARNING: Contains a spoiler if you haven’t read Ghost Story yet.

For years now my friends have been bugging me to get into The Dresden Files. I didn’t know what they were, other than a long series of books. They told me it was a fantasy series and I assumed from the title that it was some kind of weird Nazi/Tolkein crossover. Not exactly my cup of tea.

Then, at the start of this year I wound up having to make a long drive and decided to grab a couple of the audiobooks, read by James Marsters. I was hooked from the minute he said “detective wizard.”

So we meet our main character, Harry Dresden. Tall, sarcastic and able to take a beating with the best of them.

Also, fireballs.

If it seems tacky to you, well just go read them. They are without a doubt the most entertaining series I have ever read. Escalating from some incredibly dark and harrowing scenes to moments that made me laugh out loud and run to tell my wife what just happened.

Jim Butcher, the role playing, martial artsing, geek poster boy, creator of the series has just released the latest book in his series, Cold Days. Following a particularly dark and gritty storyline in Ghost Story, we can’t wait to see what truly awful fate is in store for Harry.

Jim was kind enough to answer a few questions for us, so here we go.

Ghost Story felt a lot grittier than the rest of the series, was this simply because Harry’s state of being brought on a new perspective or is it a foreshadowing of the darker times ahead?

Generally, when something is grittier, it means that it has a certain level of verisimilitude, that it seems very lifelike. Given that this book was, well, all about being as /un/alive as a fictional character can be, and still be interesting enough to write about, I’m not sure what you mean here. I’m pretty sure there’s no hard evidence on life after death, so how could I possibly make it real?

We did hit a little bit of unpleasant real-world stuff, with Fitz and the Lost Boys and their psychotic version of Fagan, but that was largely because it was a story that the standard, living Harry Dresden couldn’t really have done. Or rather, he would have done it, it would have been a slam dunk, and not really all that interesting to read.

Certainly, Ghost Story was darker in tone, in many ways, with much more in the way of emptiness and sadness–but hey, guy was dead. It’s not like there could be swing dancing and pie eating contests.

There have been some great moments in the Dresden Files. We’ve seen incredible action from the back of a Tyrannosaurus, inspirational camaraderie from the Knights of the Cross and a truly brilliant method for dealing with young crushes. Are there any moments from the series that make you want to stand up, stick your chest out and bellow from the rooftops, “I wrote that!”?

Well sure, but I pound my chest and bellow all the time anyway, even when it’s not about writing. But I’m pretty proud of the scene with Sue.

I already own all of the books, graphic novels and the role playing game but my hunger grows and I demand all of the following: a true-to-the-books tv series, board game, video game and fast food restaurant chain. What are your feelings about your work being adapted into different media and can we expect anything like that in the future?

I’ve got no objections to seeing the Dresden Files grow into other media, but it’s not something that I have a lot of control over. I would love seeing an animated version, or maybe an MMORPG.

Speaking of the role playing game, how does it feel to know that other people are living in your world, speaking for your characters and building on your stories?

As long as they’re having a good time, I think it’s great. I’ve been a gamer since the second day of first grade, and having people wanting to play in the world I made up is kind of the same feeling you get when there’s a lot of people who want to play in the campaign you GM, only turned to 11.

If Harry were asked to give an inspirational graduation speech to some high schoolers, what would he say?

“You all have a serious leg up on me already: I got a GED.”

Why are you still reading? Go order a copy of Cold Days now.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1655
Tony Richards
Guru
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I will! I will!
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #1656
alansplace
Wizard

Cool you will what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Richards View Post
I will! I will!
Tony....welcome to The Dresden Files thread! A year and a half old and still going!

...er...you will...umm....what!?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #1657
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Adam vanLangenberg told him to go order a copy of "Cold Days" now!
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #1658
alansplace
Wizard

Cool DUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Adam vanLangenberg told him to go order a copy of "Cold Days" now!
DUH! Well now I feel really dumb! I guess I depend too much on quotes, or partial quotes..oh well. I sure hope he's already read the previous 13 books!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #1659
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
No guts, no glory! Spoilers have no sway over me! Jump right into the last book of the series first and read the chapters in descending order!

Huzzah!
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1660
alansplace
Wizard

Cool similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
No guts, no glory! Spoilers have no sway over me! Jump right into the last book of the series first and read the chapters in descending order!

Huzzah!
Hmmm...sounds similar to the way I speedread, I read just the first and last word of every page.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #1661
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Jim Butcher Ghost Story Q&A Atlanta 8/1/2011

I recommend the use of headphones or earbuds as the sound is really poor.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-09-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #1662
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Talking

Wow! Its not hard to see why this thread continues to thrive. Thanks for the great interview links!
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #1663
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shushan View Post
Wow! Its not hard to see why this thread continues to thrive. Thanks for the great interview links!
Of course it will live. There is still books to write for Jim and for us to read.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #1664
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
I had a dream Saturday morning that all the people in this thread were stuck in a house together. Especially odd in that I have no idea what most of you look like.
CWatkinsNash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #1665
alansplace
Wizard

Cool Tropes associated with Jim Butcher

Quoted from TV Tropes

Quote:
Creator: Jim Butcher

The Man.

Jim Butcher is a fantasy author, best known for writing The Dresden Files and Codex Alera. His books are notable for their high levels of genre savviness, Crazy Awesomeness, and shout outs, as well as the frequency of Crowning Moments of Awesome, Funny, and Heartwarming.

He has also written a Spider-Man novel, entitled Spiderman The Darkest Hours.

He is now a big enough name that recommendations from him show up on the covers of other writers' novels, and other writers do Shout Outs to him.

You should read his stuff. Yes, that means you.

Tropes associated with Jim Butcher:

Badass Longhair: Unfortunately, not anymore. As Jim himself explained it once, his hair went out crime-fighting one night and never came back.
One of Us: It shouldn't be surprising, but not only was he directly inspired by Star Wars novels as a kid to become a writer, he's also an avid gamer.

He also has a TV Tropes account. Yes he is a troper.
Running Gag: At every public talk Jim gives, someone is bound to bring up the publishing/adaptation rights, prompting him to quip "My publisher still owns the rights to that for N years and M days... not that I am counting."

Not anymore, he's got the rights back.

Springtime for Hitler: Once upon a time, Jim Butcher was the unsuccessful author of High Fantasy novels that was told by the teacher of his writing class that, seeing as he liked Anita Blake and Buffy so much, he should write a novel like those using that teacher's method of book creation.

Jim Butcher: When I finally got tired of arguing with her and decided to write a novel as if I was some kind of formulaic, genre-writing drone, just to prove to her how awful it would be, I wrote the first book of The Dresden Files.

Word Of God: He pops into fan forums (including on this very site) every once in a while to confirm or joss plot points.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy