Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Me want, me want.
This would take care of all my needs when switching between languages.
Agreed. Not every language-pairing can be conveniently solved with a custom mix-layout.
(I use a pl-de mix) such a keyboard 'd be a translators dream.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
This keyboard would also allow manufacturers to build just one version of a computer for all customers globally. No need to e.g. build laptops with different keyboards for the British German, French etc markets.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
This keyboard would also allow manufacturers to build just one version of a computer for all customers globally. No need to e.g. build laptops with different keyboards for the British German, French etc markets.
But keytops are cheap....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But keytops are cheap....
Not really... ;D Or maybe I'm just on wrong market segment...

I'm not entirely sure how you would work out the power and information transfer for proper key switch technologies. The Optimus used Cherry ML which isn't really the nicest stuff there is.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

Best thing I've ever seen for writing on mobile devices is Swype. You just connect the letters on a virtual keyboard by swiping over them with your finger to form words. Although invented by Samsung, they seem to have completely ditched it in favor of plain old writing with a stylus on the Galaxy Note. It's wrong: first, because writing on it is extremely laggy; second, because I don't want to draw the individual letters, just want to connect them from a keyboard. I love the stylus for this purpose, but I'm not going back to drawing characters.
Swype was invented by Swype, Inc., not by Samsung. Swype was bought by Nuance in late 2011; I don't know what Nuance is doing with it, if anything.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Swype was invented by Swype, Inc., not by Samsung. Swype was bought by Nuance in late 2011; I don't know what Nuance is doing with it, if anything.
They're coming out with new updates all the time. Using their latest beta right here, now.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5c & Kindle Fire HD
So basically a full size version of the Samsung Alias 2's keyboard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Unfortunatelly keyboards for some languages aren't just labelled differently, but have physically different layouts. So this wouldn't be a perfect solution.

Last edited by Dylrob; 02-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #23
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
I think it is an intriguing idea. You could customize your keyboard for your favourite game or just create hot buttons - like ones to your favourite programs.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote