Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Chocbee
Chocbee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Reader needs reset after calibre sync and charging

My Sony reader is a temperamental beastie, and seems to need a reset after getting books via calibre, and sometimes also after charging. Today for example, I sent six new books to the reader from calibre. After that, it showed all the books ( not just the six new ones) as "new" and would not open any of them. After a reset it was able to open a book, but treated my most recently read book as if it were brand new, with my last page read lost.
Wondering if anyone else has had these challenges and can recommend a solution, please.
Chocbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
a.peter
Enthusiast
a.peter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle Touch
When you run Calibre, is the Sony software Reader4Pc running too? If so, this may be a reason. This two programs may not run the same time because they both access the Sonys database which may cause errors.

And if you plug the reader off the USB, do you first disconnect the it using windows?
a.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Chocbee

Thanks. I did deactivate the autolaunch on the Sony Software, so am pretty sure it is not running when Callibre is. It is possible Adobe Digital Editions is though - would that be a problem? As for disconnecting the ereader, I usually just use the eject option in Callibre.... should I be using a windows option instead? Thanks. J
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've always found connecting to calibre twice works best especially when adding books to collections, basicly I connect the first time do all my book moving and eject then I wait for the reader to stop it's usual checks then connect the second time.

Before I did this I found collections pretty messed up with empty ones etc but now everythings good I can only assume the Sony software fights and messes with the database Calibre loads the first time and accepts the changes the second time.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I had this problem with my T2, I found that if I just unplug the reader after it has finished loading books there is no problem, if I click the disconect this device button in Calibre then the reader goes into reboot mode.
I do not have any of Sonys software on my computer, it is totally useless, I do have ADE but do not have it running when I use the reader.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm having a similar problem - after loading books through Calibre, the T1 loads until the battery is completely exhausted. Sometimes resetting it clears the loading arrows, sometimes it doesn't.

This past week I've had to recharge the reader 3 times - it's too soon for the battery to be giving out. I'm going to let it recharge overnight and see if that helps. This is getting really frustrating.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Have you tried just loading the books via windoze explorer? I had this problem on and off when plugging the t1 into the pc I now use the wall charger and load my books via dropbox and I haven't had it since.. the only time it gets plugged into the pc is for a firmware update.. there is a subtle bug somewhere in the sony software that causes that "continous loading" to happen I got it once when just creating a collection
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW I forgot to mention that putting the device to sleep for a few minutes cleared it for me one time when a reset didn't... go figure lol
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Chocbee

thanks all. Bla, can you please explain more about how you use explorer and dropbox? thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
bla
E bookworm

It's really quite simple your device will appear (or it does on mine) as "reader" you can just drag and drop supported formats to this folder .. the software will store the books in the books folder.. with dropbox I first set up an account on my pc.. I load supported formats then I fire up wi-fi and use the device browser to log into my dropbox account.. tapping on a supported format file will automatically start the download.. if you have the device set up to download to internal memory (the default) your books will be stored in a "download" folder and will be listed on your books collection ( if you sort by date they will be listed at the top) note that if you plug the device in with an sd card installed this will be shown in windoze as a separate removable disk also if you want downloads to be stored on the sd card you need to change the default setting.. rtfm for further details good luck .. the dropbox method is really quite handy if you are only adding a few books at a time...

Tags
calibre, reset, sony