Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #286
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, it depends of how much of that goes towards the cost of the phone.

Using USD I pay $30 for data (up to 10G/Month without restrictions) and $11-15 for voice not using voice very much.

But buying a phone every second or third year is around $700 (so that is $30 per month for 24 months interval). So monthly cost $75.

So depending on what phone you get for the cost I would say that $67 CAD is not expensive.
Sadly, in Canada, there's no difference if you buy the phone by yourself and get a plan or if you take it with the contract. There's a collective action (sorry, my english is not good enough, but when alot of people get together to get a court judgment) about hat as we speak.
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #287
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have the unfortunate habit of window shopping for books with my Kindle, when I'm bored I go to the Kindle shop and most of the time I walk away with a little sumthinsumthin.
And that's why it's a bad idea to have wifi! I process all my books through Calibre, so would just as soon not have the wifi. And, probably like every other person here, I already have more books on my Kobo than I'll ever actually get to, anyway.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #288
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
Sadly, in Canada, there's no difference if you buy the phone by yourself and get a plan or if you take it with the contract. There's a collective action (sorry, my english is not good enough, but when alot of people get together to get a court judgment) about hat as we speak.
Off topic:
The phrase you're looking for is probably "class action lawsuit."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #289
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I have not found a service provider in Canada that offers a "sim-only" discount. Buying your own phone is rarely used option, mainly for prepaid plans, or when you lose your phone (and are in the middle of contract).
Not really. I've been using Virgin Mobile. I think Koodo has the same system. You buy a phone on "the tab" - and they don't actually make you pay for it up front. They deduct 10% of your bill from the value of the phone every month, and if you need a new phone before the tab reaches zero, you have to pay the difference (I did). The important thing is that you're not locked into a contract. The phones are locked, but I unlocked mine for $15 and took it to Europe and bought a SIM card in Spain. I could have bought a phone outright, but couldn't see it being any cheaper (and most of the available phones are Chinese knockoffs that may, or may not, be as reliable as the phones they've copied).

What would 1GB data cost? $60/mo.

I'm currently paying about $20/month for the phone, $30 /mo for 200MB data (I'll use most of it), unlimited text and 150 minutes talk.

I do put books on the phone, but far prefer to read on my Kobo.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #290
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I would actually save $10 if I took data with 1G unlimited and then band width restrictions. Funny that the costs was so similar.
I have the smallest data allowance offered (I'm with Vodafone). Given that I've never exceeded about 200MB in a month, it's more than enough for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #291
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the smallest data allowance offered (I'm with Vodafone). Given that I've never exceeded about 200MB in a month, it's more than enough for me.
If I download podcasts using 3G I end up with 1-2 Gig. Otherwise it is much lower. But sometimes my home network breaks during a weekend and then it is good to have a lot of data when you use the phone as an access point.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #292
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Off topic:
The phrase you're looking for is probably "class action lawsuit."
Bingo! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #293
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
What would 1GB data cost? $60/mo.

I'm currently paying about $20/month for the phone, $30 /mo for 200MB data (I'll use most of it), unlimited text and 150 minutes talk.

I do put books on the phone, but far prefer to read on my Kobo.
I prefer to read on my Kobo too. I use my data plan when I'm on business trip. I go back and forth between two big cities (Mtl-Qc) almost everyweek via bus. I read, sleep and listen to music, but I have to admit, it's fun to navigate between different forums (MR and many guitars gear related forum) and facebook during the trip!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #294
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Not really. I've been using Virgin Mobile. I think Koodo has the same system. You buy a phone on "the tab" - and they don't actually make you pay for it up front. They deduct 10% of your bill from the value of the phone every month, and if you need a new phone before the tab reaches zero, you have to pay the difference (I did).
But, auspex, that "deduction" from the tab, it isn't free. If there was no "tab" system whatsoever, but we had an option of pure "BYO phone", the service should be cheaper, no?

And that is what I said, I found no service where they offer a "sim-only" discount. None of them tells us "it costs X dollars with phone purchase plan, Y dollars if you bring your own phone".
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #295
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But, auspex, that "deduction" from the tab, it isn't free. If there was no "tab" system whatsoever, but we had an option of pure "BYO phone", the service should be cheaper, no?

And that is what I said, I found no service where they offer a "sim-only" discount. None of them tells us "it costs X dollars with phone purchase plan, Y dollars if you bring your own phone".
Why would the service be cheaper? Usually when you get a phone with your data/void plan the phone is locked to the company so you get it a bit cheaper. If you buy your own phone you have more freedom to change phone company and the data/voice plan is more expansive.

In Sweden the cost is the same or the sim-only option is more expensive.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #296
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I have AB SW and ebooks on the same device. AB SW is used for occasional breaks between reading...

focus is something that comes with age
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #297
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why would the service be cheaper?
The service would be cheaper because the cost of phone (however small it is) is eliminated from the picture.

Now, this could happen only in fiercely competitive market where service providers have to fight for each and every customer. From everything that is said it seems to me obvious that neither Sweden, nor Canada, are blessed with that situation.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #298
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The service would be cheaper because the cost of phone (however small it is) is eliminated from the picture.

Now, this could happen only in fiercely competitive market where service providers have to fight for each and every customer. From everything that is said it seems to me obvious that neither Sweden, nor Canada, are blessed with that situation.
They fight top get customer and lock them in. So it is cheaper when you become locked in. Why should it be cheaper when there is no lockin?

And of course a sim card without phone does not cost as much as a simcard with a phone. But if you buy the simcard together with a phone the non-phone cost is usually the same or cheaper than buying just a sim card. Which is perfectly reasonable since when you buy a simcard you can change the service provider whenever you want if you have an unlocked phone.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #299
Ankh
Guru

Quote:
They fight top get customer and lock them in. So it is cheaper when you become locked in. Why should it be cheaper when there is no lockin?
Lock-in of the customer can not be achieved without selling him a locked-in phone. However inexpensive are the phones that service provider can get, they are not free.

So, plans with "0$ phones", tabs, purchase plans, discounts... it all amounts to this: service provider can get away with requirement for "sim only" customer to pay a premium, so that plans with locked-in devices are offered at par or cheaper. If they were pushed by the competition, that desire to force lock-in on customers would go away. Better a customer that is not locked in than no customer at all.

Last edited by Ankh; 01-29-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #300
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Lock-in of the customer can not be achieved without selling him a locked-in phone.
Lock-in of customer can be achieved by minimum contract terms.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote