Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Genres for my ebooks library?

Since I am getting a large folder of ebooks now, and don't want to put them all on my ereader at one time I am trying to sort them into genres, bit by bit

The obvious genres are ok Thrillers/suspense. Non fiction, autobiographies etc

But a bit stuck with books about family life from the 40s onwards,books like Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, The lovely bones, and lots more
Any suggestions? Asked Google but She gave me confusing advice lol
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
The "Mars" book I'd put under "Self Help" since they seem like they're trying to teach.

What about creating a genre called "Family" and sort under that...

Family - Death
Family - Trip
Family - Reunion
Family - Whatever

I use the Tags column in Calibre to sort by genre, and as long as you don't use a comma, it'll treat the entry as one genre. So you can narrow it down a bit if you want too. There are times, though, where I'm not sure where to put some fiction, so just sort it under "Novel".

Probably not much help.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I use Tags in Calibre to add genres too. Mine are:

Nonfiction
Fiction
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Cooking
Knitting
Romance
Erotica
Historical Fiction
Classics
Mystery
Thriller
Poetry
Short Story
Zombies
Travel
Western

I'll use multiple tags if I think it's necessary, and I only have a few books tagged "Fiction" since it's not descriptive. So a book of short stories about zombies would be Thriller, Short Story, and Zombies. When I first started my Calibre library I only had a few tags but I started to use more as I needed them.

Anything self-help or relationship advice type stuff I would put as "Nonfiction". If I started to get several books of one category I would begin tagging them as whatever it is, like maybe Relationships, Family, Marriage, etc.

Last edited by banjobama; 01-15-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Add more
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=DuskyRose;2382731]The "Mars" book I'd put under "Self Help" since they seem like they're trying to teach.

What about creating a genre called "Family" and sort under that...

Family - Death
Family - Trip
Family - Reunion
Family - Whatever

I use the Tags column in Calibre to sort by genre, and as long as you don't use a comma, it'll treat the entry as one genre. So you can narrow it down a bit if you want too. There are times, though, where I'm not sure where to put some fiction, so just sort it under "Novel".

Probably not much help.[/QUOT

Thanks' what do you mean about the comma?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I use Tags in Calibre to add genres too. Mine are:

Nonfiction
Fiction
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Cooking
Knitting
Romance
Erotica
Historical Fiction
Classics
Mystery
Thriller
Poetry
Short Story
Zombies
Travel
Western

I'll use multiple tags if I think it's necessary, and I only have a few books tagged "Fiction" since it's not descriptive. So a book of short stories about zombies would be Thriller, Short Story, and Zombies. When I first started my Calibre library I only had a few tags but I started to use more as I needed them.

Anything self-help or relationship advice type stuff I would put as "Nonfiction". If I started to get several books of one category I would begin tagging them as whatever it is, like maybe Relationships, Family, Marriage, etc.
Thanks.
I have been so busy accumulating ebooks and reading not really looked at the tags in my calibre
Just left it with the long ones it downloads with a book. Which is not ideal really then. So what should I be doing to enable finding my next books to read. Before I add even more books lol

I can't understand the calibre user manual
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I've been geeking out with organizing my books on Calibre, so for what's it's worth here is my system: Every book gets the tag of fiction or nonfiction. From there it usually get at least one or more other tags like Modern Lit, Classic lit, Sociology, History, Biography, Thriller, Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, etc. And then if it was written by a non-US/UK/Canadian author, I might throw in a tag like Japan, Scandinavia, etc.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
I've been geeking out with organizing my books on Calibre, so for what's it's worth here is my system: Every book gets the tag of fiction or nonfiction. From there it usually get at least one or more other tags like Modern Lit, Classic lit, Sociology, History, Biography, Thriller, Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, etc. And then if it was written by a non-US/UK/Canadian author, I might throw in a tag like Japan, Scandinavia, etc.
So are you deleting the long tags that adding a book to calibre finds then?
Not adding a new column? I cant do that lol
Does it affect the book? And is there a comma between each word?
Got about 1000 books in calibre now and a similar amount to yet add at some point
So really need to get organised

Last edited by book64; 01-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My genres/collections are:

Classics
Female
Historical
Horror
Humour
Juvenile
Romance
Sci Fi/Fantasy
Shorts
Summer
Thrillers/Detective
Writing etc

Explanation of some categories:
The "Female" category includes books aimed at female-empowerment; "Historical" includes both historical novels and non-fiction. "Juvenile" contains mostly classic children's books; "Shorts" involves mostly short fiction; "Summer" is a category I created because I like reading books set on tropical islands etc; "Writing etc" has in it anything I find related to writing, and also some other non-fiction.

In the past I've had sections such as: The French Revolution; Egypt, when I've found myself with several books of that type on my ereader (Tale of Two Cities; The Scarlet Pimpernel series..).

Hope this helps with ideas.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Thanks' what do you mean about the comma?
If you make a tag you want, if you use a comma in the Tags section of Calibre and use that for your "Collections", a comma will list the book in two different collections.

For example, I have...

Mystery - Amateur

That is what I want the collection named, as opposed to

Mystery - Police
Mystery - Inspector
Mystery - Private Investigator

The "dash" between the words is included in the collection name of "Mystery - Amateur".

If I enter it as....

Mystery, Amateur

Then the book will be listed in two Collections, one called "Mystery" and one called "Amateur".

So don't use a comma for Collection names in the Tag column unless you want one book listed in more than one Collection.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
So are you deleting the long tags that adding a book to calibre finds then?
When I get new books, the first thing I do is select the new ones, do a "right click" and batch edit. Then I click the button to remove all series information and tags.

That way the fields are empty when I go through and put my own info in. I do series information in the book title, so don't use the Series features of Calibre. I find it easier to do it in the title. Just suits me better.

I don't like my books sorted in more than one Collection, and I don't usually agree with what the author/publisher provides. Just easier to strip them all out and only use my own.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
If you make a tag you want, if you use a comma in the Tags section of Calibre and use that for your "Collections", a comma will list the book in two different collections.

For example, I have...

Mystery - Amateur

That is what I want the collection named, as opposed to

Mystery - Police
Mystery - Inspector
Mystery - Private Investigator

The "dash" between the words is included in the collection name of "Mystery - Amateur".

If I enter it as....

Mystery, Amateur

Then the book will be listed in two Collections, one called "Mystery" and one called "Amateur".

So don't use a comma for Collection names in the Tag column unless you want one book listed in more than one Collection.
Actually you are better of using . instead of , or a - as calibre supports hierarchical tags. So if you use these Tags like

Mystery.Amateur
Mystery.Police
Mystery.Inspector
Mystery.Private Investigator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	239
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	99473  
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My genres/collections are:

Classics
Female
Historical
Horror
Humour
Juvenile
Romance
Sci Fi/Fantasy
Shorts
Summer
Thrillers/Detective
Writing etc

Explanation of some categories:

The "Female" category includes books aimed at female-empowerment; "Historical" includes both historical novels and non-fiction. "Juvenile" contains mostly classic children's books; "Shorts" involves mostly short fiction; "Summer" is a category I created because I like reading books set on tropical islands etc; "Writing etc" has in it anything I find related to writing, and also some other non-fiction.

In the past I've had sections such as: The French Revolution; Egypt, when I've found myself with several books of that type on my ereader (Tale of Two Cities; The Scarlet Pimpernel series..).

Hope this helps with ideas.
Yes it helps a lot thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Actually you are better of using . instead of , or a - as calibre supports hierarchical tags. So if you use these Tags like

Mystery.Amateur
Mystery.Police
Mystery.Inspector
Mystery.Private Investigator
Thanks for that.

Have uploaded a clip of my tags column

Just to confirm we are talking about the same thind Not another column you have added?
All mine as you can see are left with the tage that came when I added the book

As I seem to have 1710 books in Calibre now and maybe a similar amount to sort out and add later I really need to tag them better
As I cant find anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag column.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	99476  
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Thanks for that.

Have uploaded a clip of my tags column

Just to confirm we are talking about the same thind Not another column you have added?
All mine as you can see are left with the tage that came when I added the book

As I seem to have 1710 books in Calibre now and maybe a similar amount to sort out and add later I really need to tag them better
As I cant find anything.
Yes we are I delete all those tags as its my personal library and to me all those tags are useless. If you are downloading metadata with calibre you can also disable downloading of tags so they don't get filled up again.
I usually use a few main genres and most of my books will fall under them.
Scifi, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, so thats how I have tagged my books. And add sub genres accordingly now what I would set as Scifi.Romance or Romance.Scifi would be different from anyone else but its my library what I think matters more than anything else.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #15
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Yes we are I delete all those tags as its my personal library and to me all those tags are useless. If you are downloading metadata with calibre you can also disable downloading of tags so they don't get filled up again.
I usually use a few main genres and most of my books will fall under them.
Scifi, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, so thats how I have tagged my books. And add sub genres accordingly now what I would set as Scifi.Romance or Romance.Scifi would be different from anyone else but its my library what I think matters more than anything else.
Ok. i like the idea of simple. Dont want to spend more time editing than reading lol
How do I disable downloading of tags and will it affect adding the books to ereaders? As sometimes the covers will not export.

But then if i disable I wont know the genres of lots of books to type in. As lots of the books I have now are new authors to the ones I usually read and I would not maybe know the genre Even Amazon doesnt seem to display it anywhere.
Ereading introduces me to lots of books I would never have discovered As I am more into thrillers.

Love your quote